Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: True duals with stock eng  (Read 4780 times)

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
Re: True duals with stock eng
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 08:06:04 PM »

I have 2011 cvo SG , Motor is stock with only rinehart pipes. Will true duals give me anythging more. What I am asking is it worth spending the money. I do not intend to add a tuner.
        Older Guy

I've build and tuned hundreds of bikes.  What will happen with true duals is you will lose torque on the bottom end.  In a nutshell, when the exhaust is common to each cylinder, the scavenging is better because the dead cylinder is being scavenged by the live one.  When you split them with true duals, the exhaust acts like two single cylinder motors.  THey engine must build rpm before the exhaust starts to scavenge well. 

On a touring bike, the last thing you want to do is lose torque on the bottom end.
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

do-dahman

• do-dahman
  • Junior CVO Member
  • Under George's nose
    • TX

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE, Ivory and Gold delivered 12/17/11
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHXSE
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 08:17:18 PM »

Thanks Midnight and One, so do you favor the Fullsac X header with the 2.0" baffles?  Tied in with TTS Mastertune? Can I program the ECM from my laptop?
'84 FLT Tour Glide
5-speed
Blueprint stock engine
 '11 FLTRUSE
FuelMoto Header
Fullsac 2" Cores
Direct Link Tuned
Clearview shield 14.5" with vent
DayMaker Headlights
Sold 10/18
2017 FLHXSE
V&H Slipons

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 10:45:00 AM »

Thanks Midnight and One, so do you favor the Fullsac X header with the 2.0" baffles?  Tied in with TTS Mastertune? Can I program the ECM from my laptop?

Yes, and Yes.  IMO, the Fullsac header, baffles, and TTS is the most bang for the buck out there.  Nice sound, great performance, and you can do it yourself.  The canned map provided works like a charm on my bike and I have not found the need to do any further tuniing.  Not saying that there are not other good combinations on the market, but performance wise, you'd be splitting hairs to get better HP/TQ numbers than with the Fullsac set up, particularly if you are happy with the way the stock system LOOKS.  The 2" baffles are not TOO loud either, but loud enough...at least for my tastes.  I'm way past obnoxiously loud pipes that set off car alarms.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

do-dahman

• do-dahman
  • Junior CVO Member
  • Under George's nose
    • TX

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 09:01:28 PM »

Perfect, agreed on the loud part too. In your opinion would the 2 1/2" be too constricting or take away the sound? Midnight, thanks again, good info
'84 FLT Tour Glide
5-speed
Blueprint stock engine
 '11 FLTRUSE
FuelMoto Header
Fullsac 2" Cores
Direct Link Tuned
DayMaker Headlights
Sold 10/18
2017 FLHXSE
V&H Slipons

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 11:25:19 AM »

Perfect, agreed on the loud part too. In your opinion would the 2 1/2" be too constricting or take away the sound? Midnight, thanks again, good info

Do you mean the 1.75" baffles?  The 2.5" are going to be less restrictive than either of the other two, and louder.  The general consensus of both opinion and fact is that the 2" gives the best performance, though the differences between the three in that regard are relatively insignificant, IMO.  The 2" cores give a nice "rumble" to the engine when tooling down the road and idleing, but can be loud enough when you get on the throttle, at least for my tastes.  But all of that is subjective, to some extent.  I've ridden 6-8 hours at a time on a couple of trips and not had ringing ears at the end of the day.  I could not say that when I had the '06 SEUC with the Rinehart True Duals...they sounded good, but at the end of the day, my ears would be ringing, even with a FF helmet.  Keep in mind that no matter what kind of mufflers are on the bike, they will get a bit louder over time due to the packing material surrounding the baffles becoming less effective.

I think Rio has had both the 2" and the 2.5" on his bike, so you might contact him via PM and see what he thinks.  Or maybe he'll see this and chime in...

TTS Mastertune

do-dahman

• do-dahman
  • Junior CVO Member
  • Under George's nose
    • TX

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2012, 07:39:10 PM »

Thanks, good advice. So, final question, are the 1.75" too much of a sacrifice on power for a quieter sound?
'84 FLT Tour Glide
5-speed
Blueprint stock engine
 '11 FLTRUSE
FuelMoto Header
Fullsac 2" Cores
Direct Link Tuned
DayMaker Headlights
Sold 10/18
2017 FLHXSE
V&H Slipons

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 05:57:38 PM »

Thanks, good advice. So, final question, are the 1.75" too much of a sacrifice on power for a quieter sound?

Not in my opinion.  You'd be hard pressed to know any difference other than on a Dyno sheet.

PM JCZ out in Northern California, or contact Jim (hd-dude) at Metal Dragon.  Unless he's changed them, JC had the 1.75" cores in his SESG and was quite happy with them.  And JC's had some loud pipes in his lifetime of riding... ;)  And Jim, or Steve (from Fullsac) could give you exact numbers for the difference.  I don't think you'd notice by the seat of your pants Dyno.  But, if you're one of those "got to have peak numbers" type of guy, the 2" do the best in that regard.  Personally, I wouldn't be concerned over 2 or 3 ft lbs of TQ or a couple of HP unless I was drag racing.

TTS Mastertune
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 25 queries.