Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rear suspension adjustment setting  (Read 2673 times)

Pete

• Full CVO Member
Rear suspension adjustment setting
« on: March 21, 2012, 10:03:58 PM »

80 degrees here in northern MA. Skipped out of work and drove  the kancamangus hwy through the White Mountains. To be able to do this in March is nuts but very cool. Snow on both sides of the road, rivers flowing like crazy great ride but lots of frost heaves still. As I was cruzing along at about 50 or so I decided to open a piece of gum and of course be extra careful that I did not littler (dumb enough) by itself granted but things became very interesting when I hit a minefield of frost heaves. The bike bottomed out a few times and I'm now thinking I should crank a few turns on the left shock. I rarely ride two up. What do you guys have your bikes set at?   I don't think I ever tougher it in 12k on the bike.

Raptor

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 03 SE Deuce (Gold), 09 SERG (Orange)
    • CVO2: 11.5 SEUC (Blue), CVO4: 12 SESG (Hot C.)
    • CVO3: 14 FLHTK PO, 17 FLHXS
Re: Rear suspension adjustment setting
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 10:41:45 PM »

I'm 6' and around 265 lbs. running about midpoint on the shock scale.

Depends on your weight and the feel you want.  Best thing to do is find a road with some s curves and different types of surface, bumps and expansion joints if possable and ride it back and forth then crank it up about half way, ride the same route back and forth to see how it felt with the change and then make small adjustments from there up or down.  Even 5 full clicks can change the way the bike handles.  Good luck and have fun! :pleased:
I don't care if I die with the most toys....  I just want to play with as many as I can before I go!

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 12:11:06 AM »

I find the manual to be spot on.

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Krypto
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 06:43:06 PM »

I find the manual to be spot on.

I would agree.  :2vrolijk_21:

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2017 Indian Jack Daniels Edition Chieftan
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 09:18:53 PM »

Manual is a great guide.
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 10:15:15 PM »

I'm at 220 lbs. and usually have my king tour pack mounted in the solo position (works great for mid back and upper back support.......I've had a couple discs removed and have a lot of back problems).  I also ride a great variety of roads from interstate, to narrow, bumpy twistys up in the mountains and usually am riding at an agressive clip......especially when it's just the guys out playin.  So, for that reason, I ride with mine adjusted to the stiff side.  I don't ever recall bottoming out.

I will go on to say that I think these are the best shocks the MoCo has ever came out with.  Not great....but good enough that I don't have to spend another bike payment replacing them.  As a matter of fact, I like them better than the Progressive 440 HD that I had on my SEEG. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Deep Blue Dives

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: "Cali" - 2012 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 11:44:36 AM »

I felt the same thing about the bottoming out - almost rattled my teeth out on the first big bump I hit.  Definately more rigid than the softail I had before - too be expected.

I was surprised to see the shocks at the minimum when I removed the saddlebag.  Guess they do this so the shortest person possible can ride on the stock seat.

I pushed it up 5 clicks, and was a bit too much, dropped it one - and it seemed to settle in nicely.  I do click it up 1-2 when I ride 2 up.  Again I had to adjust to find what both my rider and I liked.

Enjoy the new ride!!!
"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" ~Pink Floyd
"Counting all the assholes in the room...I'm definitely not alone" ~Volbeat

Dood2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 05:05:33 PM »

I felt the same thing about the bottoming out - almost rattled my teeth out on the first big bump I hit.  Definately more rigid than the softail I had before - too be expected.

I was surprised to see the shocks at the minimum when I removed the saddlebag.  Guess they do this so the shortest person possible can ride on the stock seat.

I pushed it up 5 clicks, and was a bit too much, dropped it one - and it seemed to settle in nicely.  I do click it up 1-2 when I ride 2 up.  Again I had to adjust to find what both my rider and I liked.

Enjoy the new ride!!!

The manual says add 1 click per 10 pounds of added weight  over 200 pounds.  If you add 1 or 2 clicks when you ride 2 up that equals a 20 pound rider.  Is the manual another mistake by the Mo-co? I am not a big fan of these shocks. 

Deep Blue Dives

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: "Cali" - 2012 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 05:27:56 PM »

I just found what was nice for me - I am under 200 lbs and didn't like the bottom setting.  I think it really depends on how you like the feel of the ride and the responsiveness of the suspension etc. The book is a great starting point, but we all like stuff a bit different.
"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" ~Pink Floyd
"Counting all the assholes in the room...I'm definitely not alone" ~Volbeat

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 25 queries.