Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: H E A T !!  (Read 1580 times)

DREBBIN

• Full CVO Member
  • IBA # 22419
H E A T !!
« on: September 23, 2005, 07:50:09 PM »

My Road King and Road Glide never experienced heat like I am on this CVO - wow. I was of course stuck in some DC traffic yesterday (big surprise).  I damn near had to get off.  Oil cooler?  I need to learn just when and how that is "cooling".  Thnx, DREBBIN
IBA # 22419
SS1K
SS1K

06ULTRASE

• Senior CVO Member
  • In Memory of Scott Wheelihan

• CVO1: 06 FLHTUCSE (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTUCSE8
Re: H E A T !!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 08:05:41 PM »

Is this your first bike with lowers? Not really sure why but with the lowers you will get a great deal of heat off the engine. I used to take them off my 99 Ultra during the summer just for that reason.

[smiley=nixweiss.gif]

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 08:30:14 PM »

yep.  I'm with you on taking the lowers off for the summer months......plus, that stroker motor just plain puts out more heat.   [smiley=drink.gif] spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

DREBBIN

• Full CVO Member
  • IBA # 22419
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 09:06:24 PM »

Yup - first Harley with lowers -- no heat problem on the Wing !  Indeed next Spring I'll be taking off the lowers, good advice, thnx
IBA # 22419
SS1K
SS1K

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 11:39:54 PM »

Hadn't noticed a heat problem with the bike yet, runs ALOT cooler than my '04 Ultra did.

ridefar

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 09:39:19 AM »

I took the advice and removed the lowers, after cooking atop my SEEG. Huge improvment. Have digital temp dipstick, temps average 15 degrees lower oil temp, and the ever important passenger is more comfortable.

CUSEiHad2

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 12:57:45 AM »

FR8TRN:

Quick Question...will those Highway pegs fit on the nerf bars with the lowers on?  I want to take my lowers off for the summer here in El Paso, and want to put some leg-up pegs on, but was wondering if they will be able to stay on once I try to put the lowers back on?  Thanks

Later, CUSEiHAD2

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 06:46:16 AM »

FR8TRN:

Quick Question...will those Highway pegs fit on the nerf bars with the lowers on?

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 06:04:40 PM »

Drebbin,

I'm with you regarding the heat.  I have another post or two on this forum about the HEAT.  For some reason it appears some of these bikes run hotter than others.  But I'm here to tell you that if I was sitting in traffic and the temp was 100 degrees I would have to get off.  Taking the lowers off may help when you are moving but sitting still won't make much difference.  I know most of the EFI Harleys are running lean and I think some are more lean than others.  My plugs don't indicate a lean condition but I am convinced that it is part of the problem.  Others on this forum have said that True Duals will help with the heat.  I plan to install some V&H Dresser Duals this month.  I am also going with a Power Commander and get the bike tuned.  I'm hoping that the combination of the true duals and PC will make this bike more ridable in warm weather.  Of course I'll do the air cleaner kit also.  Probably the Ness Big Sucker.  Maybe getting more air through it along with more fuel will cool this monster down.

If I can't get this thing cooler I would seriously consider going back to a standard 88" Ultra.

I hope to have the install and tuning done before I head for Sturgis.  I will post the results on this site.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 06:22:45 PM »

Here's a hint the 103's run hot.
                                         For years and years H-D adamantly stated that their motors did not require oil coolers and only started selling them when their Screamin Eagle performance line took off. In 2003 when the first 103 was released on the FLHRSEI2 Lo and behold a factory installed oil cooler. If I lived in an area where I routinely got caught in traffic and the ambient temps were above 85 every day I would invest in a parade fan. Kinda geeky looking, but it sure beats a burnt up motor. The lowers not only make you hotter, they make your motor hotter.

Off with em

jachin72

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 09:56:56 PM »

Have vented lowers on my '03 SERK.  Rode it to Fresno Saturday, air temperature 104 deg.  Max oil temp on the highway 207 deg.  Max oil temp stoplight to stoplight on Blackstone 222 deg.  No lower oil temps were lower on the highway, but pretty much the same on the city streets.  I Let the bike idle in the garage after returning from Fresno.  Was 209 deg coming into the neighborhood, went to 227 deg after idling for about 5 minutes.  Love those Dakota gauges!

Gilligan

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 01:15:16 PM »

Took the lowers off my CUSE this weekend and it made a huge difference.  I bought a digital dipstick and the temp with the lowers off is at least 15 degrees cooler.  

Next is the air kit, power commander and V&H true duals.  I"lm hoping that makes even more of an improvement.

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.