Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anybody use a ramp to load their Scoot  (Read 1880 times)

DaBigNuttedMan

• Steered & Geared by DaBigNuttedMan
  • Elite CVO Member
  • No Skool Straight F Fuc_ PowerCustom PypeDaShi_

• CVO1: 2011 RoadGlide Ultra Screamin Eagle
    • CVO2: 1969 Rupp Roadster chromed up Shriner Special
    • CVO3: Grasshopper 725 w/48" snothrower
Anybody use a ramp to load their Scoot
« on: February 26, 2012, 08:56:14 AM »

We're lookin for info on who's ramp [brand=model] is a good one. The kind of ramp I mean is those longer arched aluminum piece together ones that break down for transport and storage. We have a camping toybox trailer that sits quite high because it's a 5th wheel trailer with the leaf springs on top of the axels to correct it's ride height to sit level when hooked up to the 4 WD truck that pulls it.  When I drop the rear door to the ground it's too steep and no doubt the cvo would " high center". I'm adding a wheel chock and a piece of aluminum channel to the floor to hold the bike and prevent it from "point loading" the floor.
  I bet others have dealt with this, I understand that a 1,000 lb bike on a ramp like this is not for everyone, expecially backing out. I looked around the internet a little and see 1,000# and 1,500# and wider models, any help would be apreciated.
Life begins just outside your comfort zone and you havent lived until you push a full dress harley on a hot day up a grade because your low mile twincam fell apart, and your convinced it's to bitchen to leave it there.           Ugh pardon me but do you have any beer?

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
Re: Anybody use a ramp to load their Scoot
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 09:22:49 AM »

I use ramps on an occasion to load in and out of the pickup when the trailer is full. The brand escapes me at the moment. They were the longest I could get and still fit in the bed of the truck as a one piece unit. As for width I recommend the widest you can get. There is something to be said for the ability to put your feet down and touch something. I do have the arched version which I can't say is any better than a flat set. With your toy hauler you may need longer than the standard 8' version which may require a hinge in the middle. As I type this I recall cutting mine as it was a one piece wide ramp. I cut it to make two pieces which made it easier to store in the truck.

On my first race car hauler the car would bottom out (went to a beaver tail on the second one!). I replaced the flap on the ramp door with a longer version and added extensions on the door to get the angle right (spacer under where the rubber pucks are on the ramp door).

« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 09:32:01 AM by Puzzled »
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

barefoot3zk5

• Elite CVO Member
  • I used to be a KRYPTO.. Now I'm 1 OF 1

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSEII Dragula 2/1 exh.. Performance Mach airbox..Metalsports 26" front wheel w/6piston singleside brake 13" rotor and matched 18" rear 200 tire..TTS tuner by DOC .. Woods cams and Hi comp pistons.. 600 LEDs hidden PLUS, SONY head unit and gauges all green LEDs to match,500watt ARC amp w/4 Focal6.5 spkrs,Install by Peter @SOUNDZ .. Yafee tag frame . chrome inner/outer primary. greeen gator seat/backrest ..major engine mods 125+ HP and powder coated heads/cyl and diamond cut. homemade rear air suspension
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 01:01:11 PM »

I happen to have a OXLITE set that are 3pc.. 36"w X 96"l when together ..
You should prolly at least refer to,   http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle_ramp_page.htm  they have the whole enchilada of ramps to shop ..  :2vrolijk_21:

DaBigNuttedMan

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 02:13:23 PM »

puzzled+ barefoot thanks for the comeback, definetly no beaver tail inside the toybox, I'm thinkin the longer the better for eaze of use but flimzy from being long dont sound good either, and like puzzled says wide is a good thing, that discount ramp site is  definetly got a variety, I guess I'm kinda hoping on hearing about the quality and ez to break down or not, kinda like the difference between centerstands. Thanks guys anyone else loading a tall deck toybox or tall [stock height 4WD 3/4 ton] p/u with one of these ramps?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 08:02:46 PM by DaBigNuttedMan »
Life begins just outside your comfort zone and you havent lived until you push a full dress harley on a hot day up a grade because your low mile twincam fell apart, and your convinced it's to bitchen to leave it there.           Ugh pardon me but do you have any beer?

NSTY110RIDER

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 09:36:13 PM »

I have the 9' Black Widow 40" wide folding ramp and I use it to load my SERK into the bed of my stock height Chevy truck,
It is wide enough to put both feet down and makes it very easy to go up and back down the ramp.
2008 Screamin Eagle Road King

Craigisdad

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 flstse2
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 10:24:54 PM »

I bought a black widow ramp on eBay from discountramps.  8 feet long, 40 inches wide, 3 separate pieces. Only used once last fall, loaded my convertible just fine. It folds in half for storage, total capacity is 1500 lbs. It is fairly heavy, works better with 2 people, could be a finger pincher!! I looked on eBay, it is on there now for 350.00, with free shipping. When I ordered mine I think I had it in 2 or 3 days. I also used it to load into a toy hauler, seemed fine, could go cheaper and get just the center ramp, but you can't put you're feet down, and putting all 3 together added a lot of strength.  Good luck!!!
Craig

CVOjunkie

• cvojunkie
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 07:51:12 PM »

I also had to flip the axles on my toyhauler fifthwheel and had the same problem so I use a small pair of jack stands to hold the door about a foot off the ground where it would normally touch the ground and added a hinge like the pic above in this topic and added plywood and wood 2X4 to support it and have had no problem and no ramp to carry just the jackstands.

DaBigNuttedMan

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 06:48:53 PM »

I think cvo junkies got the answer, to use the door and some kind of extension, are trailer sits pretty high, to keep the bike from high centering [scrapeing] I bet I'd need a little more than a foot on jackstands but why ramp myself over the door when it's a ramp in the 1st place.  Thanks Guys guess I didn't see the obvious good info here. ;)

CVOjunkie

• cvojunkie
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 07:58:09 PM »

if you need pics P M me and i wil send them to you Thanks Roy

DaBigNuttedMan

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 08:08:15 PM »

if you need pics P M me and i wil send them to you Thanks Roy
pm coming thanks Roy      Randy

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 21 queries.