Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ride Safely  (Read 2147 times)

Foot Loose

• Full CVO Member
Ride Safely
« on: March 12, 2014, 08:29:14 PM »

Ever pay attention to headlights on the various bikes?  Some are dim, some are bright.  You want to be seen.  I have found some bike lights are focused on the ground, 20 feet in front of the bike, too late and too dim.  Proper adjustment of your lights are important.  While riding in groups, look in your mirror.  Tell those with dim lights so they have a better chance to be seen.  Running your light on HIGH beam during the day is best.
I'd rather push a Harley, than ride a Honda

2010Convertable

• I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
  • Full CVO Member
Re: Ride Safely
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 08:45:58 PM »

x2... :2vrolijk_21:
There's more to me than just a handsome face...
I poured root beer into a square cup. Now I just have beer.
I have a 2010 Softail CVO Convertible and a
2013 Red Switchback

donald p

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 CVO
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO
    • CVO3: 2020 Tri Glide CVO
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 09:29:26 PM »

I was considering buying MOTOLIGHT for extra lite plus to see the pot holes in the road.
.FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary #680
2020 Tri Glide CVO

JustDennis

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE Light/Dark Cherry
    • CVO3: 2008 Ford F150 Harley Edition - Supercharged
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 07:48:04 AM »

I was noticing the differences in lights while in Daytona and was surprised by how dim and misadjusted some of the lights were.  I also remembered how much I don't like the modulating headlights that I saw on a few bikes.  Guess that is a carry over from the 80s.   ;D  I agree that lighting makes a big difference.  I have added driving lights to all my touring bikes and think it makes a big difference when it comes to being noticed.
Ride Safe,
JustDennis

ultrarider123

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 08:07:21 AM »

Back in the carburetor days, the first thing I did when getting a new bike home was rebuild the carb.  Second was adjusting the headlight so it will actually work as a headlight.  Now days, the headlight is the first thing I "fix" when I get home with a new scooter. 
EVERY bike I've purchased new has had a misaligned headlight.  The headlight on my wife's sportster was so bad, the bottom of the beam was lighting up the top of the front tire...yes, that bad.  Skunk ryder's stock headlights were so bad and misaligned, it was dangerous for him to ride at night.  We've since fixed that with daymakers.
I've explained/complained to the dealers about this ongoing issue but obviously none have paid any attention.  Just easier to fix it at home.  It's not hard to do but make sure you have a flat surface and have a butt in the saddle while adjusting to get the true height.

Good thread and good reminder.... 

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 09:19:24 AM »

I am amazed by how many bikes I see on the road that don't have a functioning (let alone properly aimed) headlight.
The best you've had is the best you know.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 09:26:04 AM »

I'm ordering a set of Dynamic Ringz to go along with the LED on Ruby...as soon as I get home from 12 days in CUBA!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 09:27:41 AM »

Considering the quality-out-of-control system at Harley, and the "fine" prep work at most dealers, I'm not the least bit surprised that most bikes roll off the showroom floor with improperly aimed lights.  One of the first things I've done in the past when buying a new bike is to aim the lights myself, and I always recommend that approach to others.

Here's a hint:  Look around your dealership's shop for a headlight alignment bay or portable equipment.  If you manage to actually find such a thing, you will probably find the bay being used to store boxes of crap, like the one I remember seeing where I bought my last Harley.  Never assume anyone else has taken care of the safety stuff for you; always verify.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 09:29:55 AM »

Anyone have a good set of headlight aiming instructions?
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Foot Loose

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 07:11:56 PM »

The 2014 Softail Duluxe, with the day maker lights, is the first bike that appears to be aligned pretty good.  The previous Harley bikes I had, the headlight worked good if you were looking for frogs 20 feet in front of the tire.  Yep, Harley should do a better job of a simple task for all of our safety. All those expensive checks, 1,000, 5,000, and 10,000 mile inspections more concerned about 2 pounds low in the tire than the light!
I'd rather push a Harley, than ride a Honda

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 08:12:38 PM »

One more reason to perform your own maintenance.   :drink:
Jesus is Lord

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 11:22:51 AM »

I sold my almost completely stock 61 Pan Head a few years ago and the electrical system was 6 volts.  The minimal lighting kept me from riding in the dark as I don't see well enough to feel safe once it's really dark now that I'm 60.  The brakes required ESP or a crystal ball as it stopped when it was good and ready compared to today's bikes.  Sure miss the bike but not the leaks and kick starting if I didn't do it right on the first 2 attempts.  Good time to give the back end some additional lighting, even though we park with the intention or not being there if the vehicle pulling up to us fails to see us.  With cell phones it's happening more often. 

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 12:21:52 PM »

Four words: HEAD ON A SWIVEL!  :2vrolijk_21:
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 21 queries.