Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: V & H Power Duals & O2 sensors  (Read 2140 times)

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red & Black
    • CVO2: 2007 FXSTDi NON CVO
    • CVO3: 2016 FLTRUSE
V & H Power Duals & O2 sensors
« on: March 23, 2012, 11:46:40 PM »

getting set to install power duals and noticed O2 sensor placement is at the inlets on the power duals and beside the clutch cover on the OE pipes .
is it ok to add wire to extend them to reach or did they send me the wrong headers??
I have an email at V& H waiting for a reply but wanted to get this done this weekend any help appreciated.

Kiwi
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals
and not close to finished!!!

glens

• Senior CVO Member
Re: V & H Power Duals & O2 sensors
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 10:59:45 AM »

It'll be interesting to see if you get a definitive answer on this from anyone outside V&H.  My notion is that so many things are very timing-critical in the ECM that it'd surprise me if the sensors don't get polled when what roughly corresponds to the center-of-mass of the exhaust event has got to where the sensor is located.  Probably putting a freer-flowing system on changes that anyway, and workable results get obtained every day doing just that.

The other side of the coin, however, is that the smaller sensors you have won't thread into those bungs anyway if the bungs are for the larger unheated sensors.  If you used a bushing of some sort to get them to screw in you'll assuredly not have them protrude sufficiently into the pipes to do any good whatsoever.  If the bungs are the correct size for your sensors, then I'd say that's where V&H wants you to put them.  If the bungs are much further to the front and the system is also much freer-flowing, then I'd think the location is the wrong direction from stock if timing is critical at all.

V&H make some good-looking stuff but I'm not impressed with their attention to detail in terms of O2 sensor mounting and configuration.  If you're not going to run closed-loop then it doesn't matter, but why would anyone want to do that in this day and age?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 11:06:08 AM by glens »

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 12:55:59 PM »

If you have to extend wires DONOT cut the O2 wires themselves. You would extend the wire on the factory wire harness side. You MUST solder any connection you extend when doing it but I would be careful as V&H are not very good about properly mounting the bungs in the pipes and many have had trouble with them.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 01:48:22 PM »

The current model sensors are heated, and they should not be used near the exhaust ports since they may overheat and fail.  They also won't fit the bungs for the old non-heated sensors that were mounted up near the ports. 

I suggest they sent you the wrong head pipes.  Have them send you the correct version, or get your money back and look elsewhere. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE - 2018 FLHTKSE-ANV (Traded)
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHXSE (Traded) - 2007 FXSTSSE (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2003 100th FLHRCi (Sold) - 2001 FLSTF (Traded)
    • 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 02:39:51 PM »

The current model sensors are heated, and they should not be used near the exhaust ports since they may overheat and fail.  They also won't fit the bungs for the old non-heated sensors that were mounted up near the ports. 

I suggest they sent you the wrong head pipes.  Have them send you the correct version, or get your money back and look elsewhere. 

Jerry

X2,

Have VH on my 10 FLHXSE. Fit, Finish, quality, sound, performance all great. I know many people have had great luck. I have had VH on a few bikes and never a problem. In fact after 2 years my brother had some chrome discolor on a Wide Oval tip and they sent him a new one for the price of shipping.  I think they sent you the wrong set. Bungs should not have to be altered or lengthened and the new heated ones are a different size bung anyway and wont fit.

If you are going to use a DynoJet Power Commander or some piggy back tuner, it doesn't matter, the O2's get unplugged and you are open loop. Need to plug the holes in the pipes obviously. I wouldn't reccommend a piggy back unless the shop you use to tune it has a favourite. I'd stay closed loop and use TTS MasterTune or SEPST. Then get the right pipes and a good man to tune the bike.

Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red & Black
    • CVO2: 2007 FXSTDi NON CVO
    • CVO3: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 09:41:17 PM »

Alls good I was stressing for no apparent reason followed the instructions and everything just fell into place once all the wire ties are cut there is enough cable to reach took right on 3 hours from pulling the saddle bags to test ride what a difference in power sound level is a little louder at idle and cruising and has a real bark we you get on it sooo happy :apple: :pepper: :2vrolijk_21: now time for a beer
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals
and not close to finished!!!

Page created in 0.273 seconds with 25 queries.