Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vibrating headlight  (Read 3798 times)

Screamin Eagle Carl

• Livin' Large with Loud Pipes
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Harley Davidson FXSTSSE2 CVO Screamin' Eagle Softail Springer
Vibrating headlight
« on: January 29, 2012, 11:11:19 PM »

Hi guys,

I did search headlight for topics on this as I thought it would be a common problem...

The headlight on my 08 CVO Springer vibrates a lot. I fact, while in traffic one evening, a dude told me about it. I told him it was better to see me. Makes me think that is is unusual

Well, on my way to a John Fogerty concert at the Hard Rock, my headlight frame came off during the ride. I didn't have any tooks on me so  I had to buy duct tape at the gas station (i would have prefered a screw driver). Lessons learned and concert was good. I just reset the frame on the headlight and that is that.

Anyone with the same problem - what is the 'prefered' solution if I can get some ideas!

Thanks in advance and ride safe!

Carl

Here's the bike:

2008 Harley Davidson FXSTSSE2 CVO Screamin' Eagle Softail Springer
Livin' Large

Jack

• Full CVO Member
  • thank you Denis Van Orman (DVO)

• CVO1: 07 FXSTSSE Amarillo Gold/Candy Tangerine (1/540) thanks Dude
    • CVO2: 98 Lincoln LSC Ivory Pearlescent (34K)
    • CVO3: 87 Porsche 944 Rose Quartz
Re: Vibrating headlight
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 10:55:30 AM »

:beatdeadhorse:  Hello SECarl, I agree the vibrating lamp is a plus, as I have noticed the advantage on bikes coming at me.

Get yourself some of that blue thread lock stuff in that small tube. Apply it on most everything you fasten, once you have started to assemble/reassemble.

If you can afford this bike, you can get the H-D tool kit as well. I packed mine with extra tools that I found could be useful. Put some zip ties in there as well.

Learned the hard way with out too much incident near home no tools, when my left foot peg rolled over. Even though these are balanced bikes, there is still
vibration, can't imagine how much a problem it must be for all the other bikes.

Also get yourself all the manuals (3?) H-D printed for your bike. All parts have a torque factor. If you swap out for stainless, the torque will be less. Someday
you will need CVO parts just for your bike, you should know what the part #'s are, so you can shop the price.

Incidentally H-D does not mean hundred dollars any more, it's two hundred. :'( .......J
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 11:02:22 AM by Jack »
FXSTSSE
H-D Tribal Mirrors (92410-09)
H-D medium low detachable (round stock) sissy bar
2006 Bobtail fender rack & trans dip stk w/medallion
Jet Scream (air delivery)
10mm SE plug wires
NGK Iridium IX (DCPR9EIX) 2316
Mercury Marine QUICKSILVER 20-W50
MOTORKOTE (petroleum hydrocarbon) in all 3 areas
RED LINE HEAVY SHOCKPROOF
93 Octane
Lyndall "Z" Racing Brake Pads "Gold"
(7059-G) ft
(7196-G) rr
H-D Crash Bar

Screamin Eagle Carl

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 11:10:44 AM »

Hi Jack,

thanks for the reply!

I do have an HD tool kit complete with ties. Problem is for me is it is a wee bit heavy to put in my vest pocket. I don't have saddle bags and although I do have a detachable backrest, I don't normally have it on my bike so nowhere to put the kit. I now carry an all in one tool with me. The lock tight was what I was thinking, since you mentioned it, I will take your advice and I suspect will have less worries and less loose parts. I wanted to confirm so thanks.

As for the manuals, I have been cruising eBay for the Parts manual, service manual supplement and service manual. Just waiting for a good deal and some more time spent on the bike. Well, I will go back to getting the manuals off eBay. Interesting fact, I went to a dealer to get a copy of the owner's manual. They wanted 100 bucks for it! I found a new one on eBay and paid a whopping 25 bucks. eBay rocks. Most of my gear was purchased through eBay.

Since I got he bike last September, I am waiting for a service at my local  HD dealer to change the oil and give it a once over (oil was changed when I got it - synthetic). Since it is used, I am not sure of the tune. I will enquire about getting a tune done on the bike as well. I will also look into how to adjust the shocks for ride height with the dealer. I am not bottoming out but would like to take my wife out for a ride. I do also have a very nice 2007 Mutang GT convertible (also orange). I do all the mechanics on the car. I should do the same for the bike! I will service once at the dealer (and probably get a large bill) just to say I did it once.

I do think I need to get a torque wrench now that you mention it! You are right, my fault for not paying as much attention to the bike everytime. Good lesson to learn and no harm done fortunately.

Thanks again for the response!

Ride safe,

Carl
Livin' Large

mavricktoo

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Inferno Orange
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 11:30:44 AM »

Hi guys,

I did search headlight for topics on this as I thought it would be a common problem...

The headlight on my 08 CVO Springer vibrates a lot. I fact, while in traffic one evening, a dude told me about it. I told him it was better to see me. Makes me think that is is unusual

Well, on my way to a John Fogerty concert at the Hard Rock, my headlight frame came off during the ride. I didn't have any tooks on me so  I had to buy duct tape at the gas station (i would have prefered a screw driver). Lessons learned and concert was good. I just reset the frame on the headlight and that is that.

Anyone with the same problem - what is the 'prefered' solution if I can get some ideas!

Hey Carl.

Had the same problem as well.  Other riders said it looked like a strobe light when they where out in front of me.  Brought it to the attention of the service departmanet and had it replaced under warranty. I believe they replaced the entire light assembly and not really sure what the issue was.  Haven't had a problem since.  It does vibrate some, but I think that it is just the nature of the beast.
FYI we both have the same year color bike.  Gotta love the Inferno Orange paint scheme.
Dave

DAVE
PP-ASEL Private Pilot

Jack

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 11:32:18 AM »

:beatdeadhorse:      Hello SECarl,
Good for you, got all my parts (CVO) off ebay from H-D dealers and a fraction of the retail.

Swap over to another Syn oil outside H-D. Their's has the least protection. You will have to do it yourself, and it will
not void any warranty. Keep the receipts and mileage when you did the work. I do my engine @ 2500, gets pretty
dirty. My philosophy is the dirt comes thru the intake and the rings take the micro dirt down into the oil. Carbon is
dirt, also not a nice thing.

I do not carry tools with me when I'm local, but do yourself a favor ! When you notice your battery headed south,
get a new one ASAP !  You can't imagine how much trouble it is even if you are close to home.

I weigh 150 lbs. I have bottomed out ? at high speed, or close to it. I have not touched the adjustment just because
of the situations I have been in. Factory specs are probably set at 180 lbs plus passenger.  

Bye the way how many miles on your bike ?, I may have some good news for you  :).......J
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 11:46:39 AM by Jack »
FXSTSSE
10mm SE plug wires
93 Octane
(7059-G) ft
(7196-G) rr
H-D Crash Bar

mavricktoo

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Inferno Orange
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 11:33:12 AM »

Hi guys,

Carl

Here's the bike:

Hey Carl.

Had the same problem as well.  Other riders said it looked like a strobe light when they where out in front of me.  Brought it to the attention of the service departmanet and had it replaced under warranty. I believe they replaced the entire light assembly and not really sure what the issue was.  Haven't had a problem since.  It does vibrate some, but I think that it is just the nature of the beast.
FYI we both have the same year color bike.  Gotta love the Inferno Orange paint scheme.
Dave
DAVE
PP-ASEL Private Pilot

Screamin Eagle Carl

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 11:45:17 AM »

Hi Jack,

my bike has about 13k miles on it. I don't have any existing warranty on it since I bought it used. I did confirm that all recalls, repairs issued by Harley were done on it (there were two of them). I was told the bike had a problem with a heat sensor overheat when stuck in traffic. Not sure about that, someone who owns one told me. I checked and this was not a recall but I have seen a few internet mentions about this problem. I am simply wary about the heat since I am in SoFlo. Now the weather is perfect actually. In September, I had no problems and that is the hottest time of the year.

For the oil change, yes I will do it myself. I only want the best! What's the good news?

Hey Dave: I doubt very much I could have the assembly changed with no warranty. If it is a strobe effect so be it as long as the cops leave me alone. I Will cruise by the dealer and enquire (I bought the bike in Chicago and shipped it to Florida).

Thanks guys! Ride safe. One day I hope to get excellent experience and knowledge like you guys!

Carl
Livin' Large

Jack

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 11:55:22 AM »

:beatdeadhorse:      The good news is, you may still have torque building at the rear wheel. It took all of 20K to get most of
mine out, because of the oil changes @ 2500 Amsoil. It was still coming on after 30K.  :)

In the begining 6th gear was worthless for everyone 96 ci up until it got broke in.

I sometimes catch myself in 4 & 5th cruising around town, no lugging.......J
FXSTSSE
10mm SE plug wires
93 Octane
(7059-G) ft
(7196-G) rr
H-D Crash Bar

InfernoCVO

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 FXSTSSE2
    • CVO2: 2012 cvo street glide
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 12:42:35 PM »

My headlight also vibrates but i think it helps people notice you so some @#$ dosen't pull out in front of you, as far as 5th gear in town can't do i ride in the 2400-3000 rmp range with a 30th gear swap unless over 40mph 4th is about it.

Jack

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 02:25:15 PM »

:beatdeadhorse: Hello InfernoCVO,

This may explain the "beating a dead horse" theme I use.

In the beginning 6th gear was worthless under 60 mph/3200 rpms until break-in, which is different for most with many
factors mixed in with other than a stock bike. Everyone, EVERYONE I have talked with who has less than 10K miles with
little or no mods, experience this. Those of you who have serious mods with less than break-in mileage (due to wear
tolerances, again break-in) may have created a "Serious Contender" once you are broke-in. My bike in the performance
level it offers with its mileage over 35,700 miles is all I care to have other than maybe a Zipper Thunder Max by my friend
Chris Waddell at "Carlisle".  (www.cyclesolutionsonline.com)

My bike will pull a steep hill today in 6th @ 2000 rpms, and as you look at my signature below, there are not much of
performance upgrades. There is a 200 rpm fluctuation. Sometimes I can do this at @1800 rpm's other times, not. This
I believe is due to factors beyond my control, fuel quality (I only use 93), and air density. Believe me when I say, you
cannot guarantee the same quality each and everytime you fill up from the same pump. One other factor is topping off
the tank. With nearly 1 gal of 87 octane in the hose and pump for most of us, you just bought the guy after you 93,
and all you got was 87 if you only got a gallon.

So I say this as only a "WARNING", your bike will continue to Evolve depending on how you have scheduled your break-in.
Factors of oil quality and sequence of changes, if nothing else. Be Aware that someday your bike may take a performance
step or a series of steps by the time you get to 35,000 miles, as mine has (with just minor) upgrades.

Example:
The last upgrade @ 25,000 mi was a SE 10mm wire set. Didn't feel any difference, maybe a loss of power until I got another
600-700 miles on the clock. Top of 4th is now 90 mph, a 5 mph increase, but only after what I believe the ECM had learned
all the new parameters.  This bike is still with the factory cutout at 56-5700 rpm's. It needs another 1000.....J
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 07:59:10 AM by Jack »
FXSTSSE
10mm SE plug wires
93 Octane
(7059-G) ft
(7196-G) rr
H-D Crash Bar

shortdog

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 09:11:25 AM »

My headlight also vibrates incessantly! It has not fallen off but I do have to replace the bulb way more often than I should. I bought one PIA bulb and now change it under warranty every time!

springer-57

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 12:10:57 AM »

have an 09 fxstsse3. Headlight vibrated a lot.Pull headlight out and replace 3 rubber mounting grommets with solid plastic bushing material. made my headlight vibration free..

Screamin Eagle Carl

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 09:24:30 AM »

have an 09 fxstsse3. Headlight vibrated a lot.Pull headlight out and replace 3 rubber mounting grommets with solid plastic bushing material. made my headlight vibration free..

That makes sense. Question moves to why did HD make the assembly with rubber which would create the strobe effect we are noticing? I hear some upgrade to get that effect.  The solution of using the plastic bushing is a good one. Is your bulb lasting as long? Is the plastic effective as a vibration absorber?

I don't mind the strobe effect. It certainly brings attention about.

Livin' Large

Jack

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 09:32:39 AM »

:beatdeadhorse: I'm with you Carl !  This is the traditional Springer trademark !
FXSTSSE
10mm SE plug wires
93 Octane
(7059-G) ft
(7196-G) rr
H-D Crash Bar

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 25 queries.