Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ordered a new 2012 Windshield  (Read 1595 times)

prstaples1911

• Junior CVO Member
Ordered a new 2012 Windshield
« on: March 06, 2012, 12:32:00 PM »

I like the stock windshield, but I want to see if a shorter one will deflect most of the wind while opening up my view of the road somewhat.  I ordered a new stock one.  It was $194 with tax and a 15% discount.  That is quite rich.  I hope my experiment has merit.  I am going to have it cut down to just  a few inches above the NAV setup.  I am not sure how to determine the optimal height, but I see other Softails and bikes with short shields that I assume are meant to take most of the wind off the chest.

Anyone have thoughts on how low I should go?  I am not even sure who can do the cutting.

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
Re: Ordered a new 2012 Windshield
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 02:43:18 PM »

I would recommend you place some tape across the windshield in the area you are thinking would be correct.  Then you can drive around and see where your vision falls in the clear windshield and if that seems right for you.  You probably don't want to cut it too short and there is not much method to do that except to cut an inch at a time or so from your starting point.      You can always cut it shorter but not easy to glue it back......sort of like a bad haircut....... :huepfenlol2:  Pork.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 07:52:45 PM »

I would recommend you place some tape across the windshield in the area you are thinking would be correct.  Then you can drive around and see where your vision falls in the clear windshield and if that seems right for you.  You probably don't want to cut it too short and there is not much method to do that except to cut an inch at a time or so from your starting point.      You can always cut it shorter but not easy to glue it back......sort of like a bad haircut....... :huepfenlol2:  Pork.
But it will not grow back like hair. :oops: :o :( :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Willie D

• Senior CVO Member
  • Live Life at Full Throttle !

• CVO1: FLSTSE3
    • CVO2: FLHRSEI
    • CVO3: FXDWG2
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 10:59:20 AM »

But it will not grow back like hair. :oops: :o :( :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Hair grows back  :nixweiss: I have had NO luck  :coolblue:

we went from winter to Summer overnight, 80 degrees here in 'Pure Michigan'

Awesome :2vrolijk_21:
'Keep your Knees in the Breeze'
01 FXDWG- 11,000 + sold
02 FLHRSEI-66k + traded
New 06 FLTRI - Sold
08 XL1200 N - sold
2010 FLSTFB - Trade
2012 FLSTSE3 - Satin Pewter - 'Brush Gold'
2015 BMW F700GS
2017 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse  TS 111

prstaples1911

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 08:29:15 PM »

Got the new windshield today. Went to replace the old one that I want to have cut down. Replacement went ok but right most screw gave me a world of grief going back in. Will probably have to rethink my plan to swap high and low screens seasonally. I did not realize they were installed using red thread locker. I don't think they are meant to be frequently removed.  I may take the whole thing apart someday and figure out how it all works. The other option is to purchase the whole fairing assembly but that is most likely cost prohibitive.  If the shield was $200. The whole thing with speakers must run $1000 plus.

Willie D

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 08:58:59 AM »

Got the new windshield today. Went to replace the old one that I want to have cut down. Replacement went ok but right most screw gave me a world of grief going back in. Will probably have to rethink my plan to swap high and low screens seasonally. I did not realize they were installed using red thread locker. I don't think they are meant to be frequently removed.  I may take the whole thing apart someday and figure out how it all works. The other option is to purchase the whole fairing assembly but that is most likely cost prohibitive.  If the shield was $200. The whole thing with speakers must run $1000 plus.

I have not tried to switch mine yet, but I did loosen the screws to see if they were loctite. Now you have me rethinking the switch?
WD
01 FXDWG- 11,000 + sold
02 FLHRSEI-66k + traded
New 06 FLTRI - Sold
08 XL1200 N - sold
2010 FLSTFB - Trade
2015 BMW F700GS

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 02:44:57 PM »

Changed mine out without a hitch.
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

RonWa

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 03:27:05 PM »

I just saw the Nav mount on a bike yesterday at the dealer.
I'm thing using one on my Roadglide instead of the Iron Aces mount.
Does anyone if the mount is available from Harley and the part number?
Thanks, Ron

Willie D

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 06:20:22 PM »

Changed mine out without a hitch.

Thx, goog to know. :2vrolijk_21:
01 FXDWG- 11,000 + sold
02 FLHRSEI-66k + traded
New 06 FLTRI - Sold
08 XL1200 N - sold
2010 FLSTFB - Trade
2015 BMW F700GS

prstaples1911

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 09:51:53 PM »

I have not tried to switch mine yet, but I did loosen the screws to see if they were loctite. Now you have me rethinking the switch?
WD

Three of my four screws were no issue.  The fourth (far right) was the problem.  Upon inspecting the screw and the hole, it may have gone in a little funky from the factory as I inspected all the holes upon removal and it looks a little torn up.  You may not have this issue.  Over the winter I may bring the whole assembly down to the local dealer (love the detachable windshield) and ask him to replace the frame, or whatever these screws go into.  It's a shame that I will have to pay the cost of making it right, but there is no proving the hole was not tapped right from the factory at this point.  Since its all together now, I have no intention of taking it apart now.  Since Harley does not release schematics I cannot tell how involved it would be to take everything apart and rebuild it myself.  One last point.  If yo do the swap and intend to go back and forth like I wanted to, you may want to buy some new screws that are free from threadlocker.  Then you can assure yourself of a cleaner install with less wear and tear on the assembly and screws.

I do have a spare windshield now that is perfect for cutting down if anyone wants to take on that project.

ozarke

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 10:08:43 AM »

I have removed and reinstalled windshields 3 times now.    The first time I had difficult time getting the right bolt to start.  The second time I struggled with the left one.  :-*   The third time (power of thinking how to try it differently)  I started with the outside bolts first and it was easy.

The outer fairing can flex which causes it to be difficult to line up the outside bolts if you can't move the shield a little.  The threads will not start unless they are perfectly lined up, not sure why.   If you squeeze the unit together and push the shield in line it is easier, then the center bolts are a snap.    An assistant is handy for all this holding.

Additionally,  I have had the unit completely disassembled and the part that the shield mounts to  " IS "  the core of the setup.   $$$ to change.

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 12:08:32 PM »

agree completely with Ozarke, great summary.  Same experience that I had, very easy to do with a helper to assist in compressing the two units together to get the bolts started.

JB

jjohn581

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 conv
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 06:00:23 PM »

I do not recall having too much difficulty putting in the new windshield but I remember that I basically removed the four screws and opened it just enough to slide the new windshield in and I believe I started with the two outside bolts.  I did just get the Zumo and looked at completely disassembling the fairing to route the GPS cord through it.  I have not seen a 2012 but it looks like the cord goes behind the door on the dash and into the compartment for the nano and amp cord.  The new power lead that comes on the harness attached to the windshield cradle is long enough to reach the existing power lead for the amp if you run in front of the handlebars so I decided just to buy 3 Deutsch connectors and make a splitter from the power lead.  When I get it done I will post a pic.   

Willie D

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 08:15:49 PM »

I am going the other way, using the 2011 windscreen on my 2012, so I will need to drill three holes for the 660 mount. . . .

Thx for all of the info. . . .  :2vrolijk_21:
01 FXDWG- 11,000 + sold
02 FLHRSEI-66k + traded
New 06 FLTRI - Sold
08 XL1200 N - sold
2010 FLSTFB - Trade
2015 BMW F700GS

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 21 queries.