Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: air temp gage pegs out  (Read 1065 times)

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you're happy and you know it, Punch the Clown!!
air temp gage pegs out
« on: July 22, 2006, 05:50:49 PM »

I know the correct way to fix this is, to intall a oil temp gage, but untill that time I would like to see if I can fix it.  If it's there it might as well work like is supposed to

The problem is when I turn the power switch on, the air temp gage pegs out.  It never read quite right anyways, but now is just pegged.  I know that there is probably a short, but how can I test the gage just in case is the gage.  Any input or ideas on what I can do or what's wrong would be great.  As always thatnks.  Let's Roll
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

justgary

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: air temp gage pegs out
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 02:04:35 AM »

If anyone knows the answer to this one please let us know.  My air temp gauge says 80deg no matter what the temp is.   ;D

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 03:22:22 AM »

If anyone knows the answer to this one please let us know.  My air temp gauge says 80deg no matter what the temp is.   ;D

That would make it accurate more often than any of the others in which the needle still moves.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 06:43:45 AM »

My air temp gage seems to mostly only be able to move between the 10 and 2 positions - until we get in the 90+ then it looks like it is as far to the right as it can get and tappin to move further.  It is just a rough guide at best.   ;D

3hawgs

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 08:19:07 AM »

The gauge is worthless. I am getting ready to replace mine with the oil temp gauge. Mine reads 90 at any temp between 70 and 85. Above 90 the gauge reads in the 100-110 range. If yours is pegged out it must have a short to ground somewhere.

John

04 SEEG
04 AIH Slammer
02 Deuce
01 Lowrider

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 11:11:53 AM »

I know the correct way to fix this is, to intall a oil temp gage, but untill that time I would like to see if I can fix it.  If it's there it might as well work like is supposed to

The problem is when I turn the power switch on, the air temp gage pegs out.  It never read quite right anyways, but now is just pegged.  I know that there is probably a short, but how can I test the gage just in case is the gage.  Any input or ideas on what I can do or what's wrong would be great.  As always thatnks.  Let's Roll
LETS_ROLL,

Definitely a short to ground somewhere.  First I would remove the outer fairing and do a visual inspection of the wiring, especially from the gauge to the sensor.  If yours is like mine, the wires were pulled as tight as a bow string, and could be cut and shorted on one of the metal brackets.  I slit the harness wrap and pulled out an extra inch of slack on mine when I first noticed this.  If there are no obvious wiring issues, remove the sensor and check the BE/V wire from the "S" terminal on the back of the gauge to the sensor connector with an ohm meter (zero resistance) to verify no short to ground in the harness.  If everything is good so far,  test the sensor with an ohmmeter.  At a temp between 65° and 85° the sensor should read between 43[ch8486] and 31[ch8486].  If you get a significantly lower reading, that will cause a high gauge reading.  If the sensor checks out ok, then get a resistor (Radio Shack), any value between 30[ch8486] and 50[ch8486] should work fine, and connect it between the "S" terminal on the back of the gauge and ground.  Turn on the ignition and your gauge should read somewhere in the 50°-85° range, depending on the resistor you use.  If the gauge still pegs high, the short would appear to be internal to the gauge.

BTW - you can make these gauges much more accurate (within about 4° anyway) by moving the sensor from inside the fairing.  I spliced some additional wire into the sensor circuit on mine and attached the sensor to the bottom of the lower fork bracket (actually, to the chrome air deflector I added under the lower fork bracket).  No longer does the temp just continue to rise as you ride due to heat buildup in the fairing.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you're happy and you know it, Punch the Clown!!
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 04:39:41 PM »

Jerry thanks for the info.  That's pretty much what I wanted.  Just something to check. Now if I trace the be/v wire it will lead me to the sensor.  I hope so cause cause got no idea were it is or what it looks like.  Thanks again.  Let's Roll
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 25 queries.