Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Leaking tranny and tire about 1/2in to the right side.  (Read 1985 times)

panhead1

• Full CVO Member
Leaking tranny and tire about 1/2in to the right side.
« on: March 21, 2012, 03:19:25 PM »

I went to daytona last week.  Got a flat tire by Jacksonville on suday.  Was the only place open so it almost killed me to use a harley dealership, but needed a tire to i could finish riding back to oklahoma.  I was in a hurry they said the main tech did it so all ready to go.  took off riding 600 miles to baton rouge.  Woke up next morning and it looked like my tire was off to the right side.  I did notice the belt was tight as hell when i left the dealership but they were closed anyways thought i would be alright.  I startet leaking tranny fluid from the primary side like the main seal was going out.  Called the dealership and said all belts are suppose to be tight and that it would never cause a seal to start leaking and that there is no way my tire could be off center.  I have worked on bikes for a while and pretty sure they reason you leave a little slack in the drive belt is so it doesn't leave pressure on your main tranny seal.  Am i wrong with that? 

How do you even go about getting this fixed when you are 1300 miles away from the dealership that did it?  Has anyone esle ever had this happen losing main seal from belt being to tight?  Oh its on a 06 seuc also.  I don't wanna put it on the lift and take it apart cause i figure i need to take it to another dealership so they can see what happened here and tell them.  Still not sure how my tire would be off that far to the right either.  Looks like the put the spacers in the right sides unless they just torqued it was down or something.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
Re: Leaking tranny and tire about 1/2in to the right side.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 10:13:26 PM »

Take your copy of the work order or invoice from the dealer that did the install to another dealer and ask for warranty work.  Even if your bike is out of factory warranty, they have a responsibility to repair shoddy workmanship that causes additional problems.  Those bastards, they can't even change out a tire without screwing it up!  And that was their main technician? Wonder what would have happened if they let the new guy do it.
Jesus is Lord

panhead1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 10:49:23 PM »

Ya that's what I am gonna do.  There is a dealership about 50 miles from me.  Buy never heard anything good about any of then around here.  Always end up redoing stuff here that they did.  Just really don't feel like taking it all apart and paying for stuff myself for stuff they did. 

I did lift it up and take saddlebags off today to look at the rear wheel.  Looks like somehow he messed up the alignment of the automatic adjusters.  Not sure how you can do that.  But don't want to take stuff apart till harley looks at it I guess. 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 11:04:01 PM »

Take your copy of the work order or invoice from the dealer that did the install to another dealer and ask for warranty work.  Even if your bike is out of factory warranty, they have a responsibility to repair shoddy workmanship that causes additional problems.  Those bastards, they can't even change out a tire without screwing it up!  And that was their main technician? Wonder what would have happened if they let the new guy do it.

Sorry, but an independent dealer isn't going to "warrant" a botched repair job by a different independent dealer.  Neither Harley nor any of it's franchised dealers is responsible for fixing what a different dealer screwed up on a customer paid repair.  The best he can expect is for the next dealer to document what they find for him so he can contact the original dealer and use the documentation to support his claim that the original dealer should pay to correct the screwup.

Good luck.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 09:52:52 PM »

Jerry, that's exactly what I was thinking about. Have his local dealer inspect it and provide the original " screwed it up " dealer the details and opportunity to pay the local dealer for the repairs instead of the owner having to pay.  I know it's a long shot but I've seen it done before. All depends on the integrity of the dealers involved. 
Jesus is Lord

panhead1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 04:34:27 PM »

Well going to another harley dealer was a bust.  They told me thats how all the belts are suppose to be set.  That is was just bad luck that after 1k miles your tranny started leaking but it was in spec along with my tire.  You could even see that the adjuster on the right side was adjusted about 1/4 in down more than the left.   No clue who tells these people that they are master techs. 

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 25 queries.