Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any ideas selling an 08 SERK with 57,500 miles?  (Read 1414 times)

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
Any ideas selling an 08 SERK with 57,500 miles?
« on: August 23, 2012, 03:22:12 PM »

I have to tell you it has been a painfull experience to put so much money into a bike and then more or less told to ride it like you stole it only to spend a small fortune in upgrades.
I'm listed in Choppers Exchange with photos and the extras put into the bike.  Basically I'm competing with the same model but the mileage on some is very low when compared to mine.  I have rebuilt/replaced about everything except the motor & trans. Local Craig's list has been tried as well.  Bike runs well but I would like to move on to something that can take the mileage.  I also use a cheap Yamaha FZ6 to help keep the mileage down on the SERK.  If I can't sell it for a reasonable price I plan to get hard bags and rebuild the motor at some point.  I don't have the talent to write up an add like Don did with his SEEG, that was awesome.  It's funny because people routinely sell Wings with much more mileage and still have a decent resale, high mileage Harley's are generally looked upon as an oddity.  Like many on this site I just love riding but as much as I would love to I cant financially keep purchasing CVO's, new or used.  Any ideas or guidance will be appreciated. 

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Any ideas selling an 08 SERK with 57,500 miles?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 04:56:49 PM »

That Sucks Ray, but there are so many low mileage bikes sitting around with covers on them with scarcely any miles  that it is really difficult to get anything for a bike that has been used, no matter how carefully, My friend had an 07 with 23,000 miles and couldnt get bluebook pricing for it, finally traded it in.

FreestateSE3

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2012 FLSTSE Convertible
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 03:14:24 PM »

I feel your pain....I traded my 2007 Serk in on my 2012 SESG, and got 15K for it, but it did have 65,000 miles on it..good Luck!
Don
Rolling Thunder, Inc.
Virginia Chapter 1
"Never Again"

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 05:03:34 PM »

"Something that can take the mileage" ???
You should have another 50,000 in you SERK. Or are you having problems you didn't mention?

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 05:21:03 PM »

On trade I got $15800 on my '08 Ultra with 54xxx miles.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 06:00:41 PM »

There is only 2 ways to handle this.....

pull the band aid off slowly or just rip it off quickly

the faster you get it off the quicker it becomes a distant memory
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 08:49:38 PM »

the bike i have now has about 30k on it, new in 06, 07 model - i have purchased 3 new harleys since 79... i never sell one till it has at LEAST 100k on it and i have done the engine and trans at least once each. on the 79 that worked out to about 130000 miles.

once they have that many miles i get plenty at sale time. sold a electra glide with 175k on it for 2 grand in the mid 80's. the truth is that after a certain time they stop depreciating and the price just stays the same - then i sell when i get too irritated with the maintenance.

the only ones i have ever had real trouble with are ones i purchased used - usually you find that some moron mechanic has "fixed" something and it takes a small pile of 100's to get it back to "right" again.

so just ride it, they will last a long time - one guy rode a evo electra with a sidecar over 400k and it was still mostly stock when he was done with it.

new proves you can spend a lot - 100k proves you ride a lot and dont wreck stuff.

to

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 21 queries.