Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Still waiting for Clutch master cylinder (five weeks and counting)  (Read 2123 times)

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded

I can't even begin to imagine how long my new inner fairing is going to take ( warranty item ) if master cylinder takes five weeks ( just arrived today ). I am tired of waiting!
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Still waiting for Clutch master cylinder (five weeks and counting)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 12:14:44 AM »

I can't even begin to imagine how long my new inner fairing is going to take ( warranty item ) if master cylinder takes five weeks ( just arrived today ). I am tired of waiting!

Shop couldn't do a simple rebuild of the cylinder using the rebuild kit?

motor1

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 12:18:10 AM »

No longer rebuildable after 2008 model year.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 12:20:34 AM »

No longer rebuildable after 2008 model year.

Ooops, my bad.  Was looking at your bikes listed on the left side of screen.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 12:21:33 AM »

you still gettin' to ride?
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

motor1

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 06:50:35 AM »

Yes, my Skunk, but plan on taking the SERGU to Americade, and I would like to have it back to road test, before I just grab it and go. As I write this I realize I may sound like a DICK, but I don't like leaving my bike at the dealer. Not to mention it shouldn't take five weeks!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 11:52:32 AM »

but I don't like leaving my bike at the dealer. Not to mention it shouldn't take five weeks!

Amen to that that.  Nearly a month and a half wait on any repair (simple or otherwise, warranty or not) is absolutely untenable.  Just plain stupid.  That it's still in warranty only makes it more unacceptable.  They're still building bikes with the same part.  MoCo should have taken a piece off the assembly line and sent if nothing else worked in half that time.

motor1

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 11:57:54 PM »

Finally! People that share my pain, a sympathetic ear, my wife just says "you're being ridiculous, it's just a motorcycle."

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 08:58:56 AM »

Maybe it's "just a motorcycle", but it's a damned expensive motorcycle and it should come with at least a minimum amount of quality and customer service as standard equipment.  And for some folks a motorcycle is more than just a toy, since they use them as much or more than they use a cage.  Harley shouldn't get a free pass because it's "just a motorcycle".  That's about like giving a boat builder a free pass on a leaking boat because it's "just a boat".

Btw, did your dealer make any attempt to get the part expedited, or did he just put it on his regular stock order and sit back until Harley saw fit to ship one?  I think I know the answer to that one.  Parts can be ordered in various ways, with regular stock orders being the lowest priority and affording the dealer the lowest costs.  There are higher priority ways to place orders for things needed right away, like highly essential parts for a unit down repair, but those cost the dealer extra.  That dealer should have placed the order as a unit down or whatever term Harley uses these days, and he should have been on the phone with Harley following up on a regular basis.  If he didn't, he deserves at least part of the blame for the big delay.  As Twolane mentioned, Harley is still building bikes with that same master cylinder pretty much every day, so obviously there is no national or world wide shortage of those parts.

In some states with good lemon laws a person who had a vehicle out of service waiting for an essential part for 30 days or more would be entitled to a buy back of the vehicle.  You can bet that the auto folks find ways to get warranty parts out to the dealers quickly in those states.  If they can do it, Harley can do it.  Next time this happens to anyone, don't assume your dealer is doing the right thing, ask them specifically what kind of order they submitted and get details, then contact H-D customer disservice yourself and ask them to expedite the part.  Give them the details you got from the dealer to make their job a little easier.  Be nice, but insistent.  Tell them whatever story it takes to make them want to help you, like "I just bought this bike to make a special trip with a group of friends and all the plans and deposits have already been made".

You won't get much help on nonessential parts like the painted CVO stuff, that will take more time than normal off the shelf parts.  But I'd still follow up on a regular basis to make sure they don't let it fall through the cracks.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Grey Ghost

• Full CVO Member
  • Fullsac "C" x-pipe, 2" baffles, TTS, Monotubes

• CVO1: 2003 Dyna Wide Glide (non CVO)
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 05:42:14 PM »

Just curious . . . What was he problem with the original Clutch Master Cylinder?? I have only 250 miles on my new SERGU and am noticing fluid leaking onto the clutch lever. I tried snugging up the 2 screws that hold the cover to the reservoir. That seemed to reduce the amount of fluid, but am still getting a bit showing on the top of the clutch lever.

I am wondering if this will be as simple as replacing the cover gasket.

Grey Ghost
Someone once said that the key to happiness is a bad memory. For the life of me, I can't remember who said it!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 07:24:09 PM »

Just curious . . . What was he problem with the original Clutch Master Cylinder?? I have only 250 miles on my new SERGU and am noticing fluid leaking onto the clutch lever. I tried snugging up the 2 screws that hold the cover to the reservoir. That seemed to reduce the amount of fluid, but am still getting a bit showing on the top of the clutch lever.

I am wondering if this will be as simple as replacing the cover gasket.

Grey Ghost

It is one possibility, but there are at least a couple others.  If the fluid is in fact seeping out of the joint between the reservoir and the cover, you could have a bad gasket or you could have a bad surface on the reservoir or you may even have an out of flat cover.  And then fluid has also been known to seep out of the seal for the piston shaft.  Since the new master cylinders are not rebuildable, any problem with the piston shaft or a surface defect on the reservoir will require replacement of the entire master cylinder.  Another case of cost reduction gone awry, IMHO.  This sort of thing saves money for Harley, but it surely won't save any money for owners once the bike is out of warranty and a seal fails.

BTW, be careful not to go overboard when snugging the cover screws.  Too much torque on the screws will distort the gasket and could make any leak worse.  The torque spec is 6 -8 inch pounds, which is close to nothing.  If you have a leak, I would strongly suggest taking it in for a warranty repair.  A master cylinder should never leak fluid, so if the dealer tells you it's normal or regular maintenance to clean the fluid off like one guys dealer told him, call BS and refuse to accept the story.  As motor1 found out, leaking fluid can and will damage lots of stuff.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Grey Ghost

• Full CVO Member
  • Fullsac "C" x-pipe, 2" baffles, TTS, Monotubes

• CVO1: 2003 Dyna Wide Glide (non CVO)
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 10:49:24 PM »

Hey grc,

Thanks for the advice and the tips. This has been an interesting ownership experience. I don't even have 300 miles yet and this will be my 3rd warrantee fix. First the ignition switch, then the seat and now the clutch master cylinder.

Well, back to the dealer once again!!

Grey Ghost
Someone once said that the key to happiness is a bad memory. For the life of me, I can't remember who said it!!

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 25 queries.