Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Convertible Accessories Weigh 47 lbs!  (Read 1166 times)

prstaples1911

• Junior CVO Member
Convertible Accessories Weigh 47 lbs!
« on: May 01, 2012, 11:15:55 AM »

So I stripped all the extras off the bike and went for a ride to see if I could tell the difference between a naked convertible and one fully accessorized with shield, bags, sissy bar and passenger pillion.

The handling and ride were noticably different for me.  It was like the bike was easier to handle in almost every way.  So I measured all the components and came up with 47 lbs in extra weight.  While I am not surprised by this, I was surprised by how much certain components weighed.  For instance, the sissy bar weights 8lbs!  That is a lot of mass just to keep someone from falling off the back.  I am all for good 'ole American steel, but this extra weight affects handling, acceleration, MPGs and most important (to me) braking.

This also explains why a Fat Boy can weight 725 lbs and the Convertible is 788 lbs.  Much of it has to do with extra chrome, ABS and other crap, but the extras is where it hurts the most.

So what is the point?  Not sure, other than I am now aware of the weight penalty those extra parts come with.  For example, how much does a simple detachable shield weigh if I don't need the Garmin mount and speakers and while I like the sissy bar to put a helmet on, the weight does not justify its use.  Or, If I do not need the bags, perhaps I could install a rack and just bungee my work bag to it for a fraction of the weight of the bags with a lot less wind drag.

I know its not a sports bike, but I can now see why a Switchback would be a compelling option for some who like the flexibility of a convertible design but not the weight.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Convertible Accessories Weigh 47 lbs!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 12:15:42 PM »

You're not thinkin about moving up to an Ultra Classic are you? :huepfenlol2:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 12:32:13 PM »

Two words for you:  carbon fiber.   :huepfenlol2:  While you are absolutely correct, if I were that worried about weight, I would buy a Ducati.   Note that even fully loaded, your bike's power to weight ratio is probably better than most sports cars.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 12:38:44 PM »

Does this mean I shouldn't go to RibFest? :nervous:

prstaples1911

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 12:50:40 PM »

Trust me, I am probably adding more extra weight than any accessory.  However, it would be nice if Harley put some of these bikes (and the parts) on a diet.  I am not advocating the extended use of magnesium and aluminum, but a little weight pinching here and there would pay dividends, particularly in the Sportster line.  Engineering has its merits.

n2mycvo

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 09:54:46 AM »

I know its not a sports bike, but I can now see why a Switchback would be a compelling option for some who like the flexibility of a convertible design but not the weight.

I have a 2010 ConV and a Switchback.  I use my ConV which is all decked out, thus heavy, for long distance rides and the Switchback, with very small saddle bags or naked, for around town. I love both bikes.

prstaples1911

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 11:02:49 AM »

I have a 2010 ConV and a Switchback.  I use my ConV which is all decked out, thus heavy, for long distance rides and the Switchback, with very small saddle bags or naked, for around town. I love both bikes.

I thought about a smaller lighter bike for around town use, particularly one with a much easier tranny but I was leaning towards a used Bonneville.

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 25 queries.