Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The SPRAGG Clutch - - Any info?  (Read 1202 times)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
The SPRAGG Clutch - - Any info?
« on: May 02, 2012, 03:21:44 PM »

:soapbox:  I have repeatedly complained to the dealer about the horrible noise my '09 SERG occasionally makes upon starting.  It sounds as though the ring and pinion gears are fighting.  Most of the time the bike fires nearly instantly.  Of course, under warranty, the dealer can't fix that which is not broken.  To them, that means it does not work at all.  We all know about their pathetic standards in that regard.   >:(   

Last time I complained, dealer gives me a flyer about the "SPRAGG."  Obviously they want me to try it.  The website is pathetic and I have not found any information on the item.  There is some interesting information on sprag clutches in general.  Here is the Wikipedia article.

Anyone with experience or an opinion?  I'm just going to keep up the extended warranty but curious minds want to know.  Thanks any and all input. 

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: The SPRAGG Clutch - - Any info?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 04:14:33 PM »

You already have a "sprag" clutch in your starter.  It's not a brand name, it's just a common name from a hundred years ago for simple overrunning clutches.  The little locking elements arranged around the race are called sprags.  I don't see anything in that ad that tells me diddly about why their product is supposedly so superior to the overrunning clutch that's stock or the ones you can buy on ebay for $30.  Buying a pig in a poke isn't highly recommended, especially in this age of wall to wall scam artists.

Make absolutely certain your compression releases are working properly, and if you continue to experience the problem change out the one way (overrunning) clutch in the starter.  If you know how to work on starters yourself, you can do it for about $40 including shipping, which is what I did on mine.  If you have to pay someone else to do the work, figure an hours worth of labor on a late model bike.  btw, it doesn't have to fail completely for them to replace it under warranty or the ESP.  If they tell you that crap, they are lying.  They may insist on having to verify the problem, but if yours gets bad enough to do it on most hot start attempts (which is where the problem usually shows up), it shouldn't be all that hard to take it by the shop and do a few hot starts to prove it to them.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: The SPRAGG Clutch - - Any info?
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 05:25:17 PM »

Thanks for the information, Jerry.  Always appreciated.   :2vrolijk_21:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 25 queries.