Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hydraulic Clutch: How Easy to Find/Use 'Friction Zone'?  (Read 5607 times)

DrSpencer

• Full CVO Member
Hydraulic Clutch: How Easy to Find/Use 'Friction Zone'?
« on: August 09, 2012, 02:07:27 AM »

Toying with the idea of converting my 2011 Street Glide to a hydraulic clutch set up.

Can you still find, and easily use, the 'friction zone' with a hydraulic clutch?

Can you adjust how far off the handlebar the hydraulic clutch engages, like you can with a cable clutch?

Thanks

halfcirclej

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRUSE 2011 Black Quartz
    • CVO2: FLHTCU 2008 WHITE GOLD PEARL
Re: Hydraulic Clutch: How Easy to Find/Use 'Friction Zone'?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 02:30:15 AM »

With a hydraulic system on a Harley is not normally adjustable. The master cylinder is sized to move the slave cylinder. This is too so the pull on the lever is not too great and still have enough force to release the clutch pressure / spring an automaticly take up for clutch wear.
The friction take up is for ever changing as the plates wear.The take up will move farther away from handle.bar as the clutch slowly wears out.
If I'm wrong some one will let U know cause there is a lot of smart fellows on this site.
Mitch

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 08:44:57 AM »

I like the hydraulic clutch.

Combined with a VPC it's just what I needed for the arthritic thumb in my left hand. I find that the friction zone is in the same place, even after substantial use, like a slow race, maze work, or a rodeo competition. I like that bar position makes no change or difference in the friction zone. By that I mean that with a cable, you experience flexing and bending when the bars are turned back and forth, lock to lock in one motion. This has a slight change on the friction zone as the cable movement often translates into small amounts of stretching or shortening, thus changing the friction zone. Most riders won't notice it, and experienced riders know how to adjust for it.

The downside to having the friction zone in the same place is that it is not adjustable. Some riders like the cable adjusted so the friction zone engages when the clutch lever comes right off the grip. Others like to adjust the cable so the friction zone is when the clutch lever is almost fully extended. You can't adjust any of that with the hydraulic clutch. That may be an issue to some riders, others can easily adapt to it.

I'm sure others will chime in with their experiences with the hydro clutch.

Mark  

One other thing I'd like to add. The lever pull is very linear, or even and smooth all the way back. That may be the effect of the VPC too.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 08:47:52 AM by Ironhorse »
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Maladjusted

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 08:46:32 AM »

The friction take up is for ever changing as the plates wear.The take up will move farther away from handle.bar as the clutch slowly wears out.

This is where a hydraulic system comes in... as the plates wear, more hydraulic fluid will move from the master cylinder to the lines and keep the friction zone (the point where the clutch begins to engage at clutch lever release) at a constant release point.

2010 FLHXSE Spicey Rum
Lots of stuff

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 10:42:02 AM »

In other words, a piece of cake and easier on your hand.

hep0950

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 04:01:27 PM »

I just got a CVO, coming from an Ultra, and although it caught me a little by surprise, because my friction zone was further away from the bar, it is easy to get used to. I still release a little too quick at times, but it really isn't hard to slip it as little or as much as you need to. That is just my experience.

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 09:04:22 PM »

I agree with Mark. 

While I would like the friction zone to be slightly closer in to the grip the fact is it never changes.  On my cable bike it is ever so slightly different all the time and works it way out until I readjust the clutch.

I would take the Hyd clutch over the cable every time.
Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

skboy

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 Street Glide
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 09:23:07 PM »

Naturally there are adjustable levers out there for a guy to fine tune his/her setup when it comes to a hydraulic clutch, mostly in the motocross world. Unfortunately it hasn't been thought of yet for a 110 year old company  :nixweiss: 
Some people go to church on sundays, I ride motorcycles.

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 10:16:05 PM »

What... customer fit for function, Harley doesn't do that?  I am shocked  :nixweiss:
Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

wideglidejoe

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 10:35:22 PM »

I kept my '05 Wideglide when I bought my CVO.  I find myself riding the CVO most of the time.  When I do get on the WideGlide, it takes one or two gears to get used to the harder pull and the friction zone being closer to the grip, which is the way I adjust it.  By the time I get out of my neighborhood, I'm used to the WG clutch again.  I like both of them, but if I had to choose one over the other, I'd pick hydraulic.

Just my $.02.
2011 FLHTCUSE6 Blue
2005 Wide Glide
1962 Mustang Bronco Scooter
1972 Indian (Italjet 50cc) minibike
1965 AC Cobra replica
1955 Chevy Bel Air

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 11:04:37 AM »

This is where a hydraulic system comes in... as the plates wear, more hydraulic fluid will move from the master cylinder to the lines and keep the friction zone (the point where the clutch begins to engage at clutch lever release) at a constant release point.

Actually, as the plates wear, more fluid moves from the actuator back to the master cylinder.  But your main point is valid, the hydraulic system self adjusts by design so no manual adjustment is necessary or even available.  Keep air out of the system, maintain the proper fluid level, and just ride.  The only downside IMHO is the fact that you can't easily customize the point of engagement like you can with the cable systems.  If the system is working properly and there is no air in it, I don't think that's something worth worrying about.  After using hydraulic clutches, I would never want to go back to a cable.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 25 queries.