Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chatterbox - Who's using them..?  (Read 1158 times)

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTCUTGSE - Sunset Orange &amp Sunset Black
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Silver Surfer - 2013 FLHRSE5 Crushed Saphire
Chatterbox - Who's using them..?
« on: May 15, 2012, 04:05:40 PM »

I've always used the Scala Comm system... My wife rides her own and I really enjoy the freedom of being able to talk with her while out on the road.

I'm using the newer scala system and not ahppy with the clarity and after talking with their service people, I've decided to look at other systems.

A friend recommended the chatterbox system...   Any one out there using it now..?  If so, what model(s) would you recommend I look at..?  We ride seperately and sometimes she rides with me...  good to have options.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: Chatterbox - Who's using them..?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 04:11:48 PM »

I've always used the Scala Comm system... My wife rides her own and I really enjoy the freedom of being able to talk with her while out on the road.

I'm using the newer scala system and not ahppy with the clarity and after talking with their service people, I've decided to look at other systems.

A friend recommended the chatterbox system...   Any one out there using it now..?  If so, what model(s) would you recommend I look at..?  We ride seperately and sometimes she rides with me...  good to have options.

Good question Matt.
I'm also interested in hearing the answers/comments.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 04:20:21 PM »

I have heard that the Scala Comm 4 Bluetooth was the best on the market  :nixweiss: Interesting...  EagleGlider is your current Scala system the older version?  Tried chatterbox about 4 years ago and the clip on module for your helmet was so heavy that your helmet rode on your head crooked  :'(. But that was an older version.
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

sleepybare

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 CVO ULTRA
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 04:32:06 PM »

IMHO......I have used two different versions of the  Chatterbox and found it them both unreliable and bulky when attached to our helmets. Would never go that route again....

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 05:09:25 PM »

Terrie and I used the Nolan N-103 w/bluetooth for several years.  While the quality was satisfactory, the distance was lacking.  If more than a few cars or even one semi truck got between us, that was it.....we'd loose communication and have to reconnect once we were back within site of each other.

The new Nolan N-104 w/bluetooth is far superior to the old system.  Clarity is second to none.....no static, no skipping.....just clear, quiet conversation.  And distance wise......you don't have to be within site and you're still able to communicate.  In a series of twists and turns, we never lost connection and it was always clear.  If a truck gets in between us, we still keep communication clearly......five or six cars between us and we can still hear each other clearly.  I can best explain it by saying if you're pumping gas and she goes in to the station, in to the restroom, in to a stall and all the doors are closed.......you can still talk.  :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

mikegiotto

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 CVO ROADKING
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO STREET GLIDE
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 06:34:26 PM »

I used the chatterbox on my snowmobile it work but the clarity was horrible.

UFO_HOG

• Good Guys Wear Black
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 08:18:36 PM »

I have the XBi2's. I have only used them once, my wife was able to hear me very well, I was not able to hear her as well but I suspect the mic was not directly in front of her mouth and I plan to adjust it. I have a full face with the mic directly in front of my mouth. My GPS came through loud and clear. Don't have any experiance with distance yet, will be able to tell you after this weekend.
You gotta be smart enough to understand the rules of motorcycling, and dumb enough to think the game's important.

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 10:37:17 PM »

EagleGlider is your current Scala system the older version? 

I loved my older scala set... it worked perfectly until the battery life started to decline and eventually became too limiting to use on long trips. In fact, I went through a couple sets.   I bought the new scala version and have difficult reception at close range... seems to work OK when separated a bit

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 10:44:51 PM »

I can best explain it by saying if you're pumping gas and she goes in to the station, in to the restroom, in to a stall and all the doors are closed.......you can still talk.  :2vrolijk_21:

That's probably more than we need to know JC!

:nervous:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 07:14:05 AM »

Boxing up the Q2 Pro set and sending it back to Cardo for them to do a full check out... their Tech guy thinks there might be a problem with the AGC (Auto-Gain-Control) circuitry...  That's what controls the line levels when moving at speed with wind noise etc.  Hopefully he's right and it's correctable. Units are still under warranty.

Up till this new set, I've always been a huge fan of these comm devices.  They are small, light and real easy to use.  The range is ok for how I use them and battery life is pretty decent even when touring all day long.

I posted here and at the HD Forum site looking for feedback on the chatterbox units and got limited to no responses... kinda suggests that not as many are using them as I might have thought...  I'll post an update after I get them back.  FWIW, tech assist and support play a big part as to how I judge a product.

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 25 queries.