Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: heater grips  (Read 1393 times)

src

• CVO1: 2012 STREET GLIDE RUBY RED
heater grips
« on: May 06, 2012, 07:02:29 PM »

Hi all, I have a 2012 cvo sg is all the wire there to put on a set of heated grips

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
Re: heater grips
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 07:15:49 PM »

There's no wiring in place for heated grips on the 2012 SGs.  They have to be installed.  :sauer005:

I've read that there's been a lot of failures/problems with the Harley grip warmers.  I went with Heat Demon grip warmers, which many recommended over the HD ones.  Less expensive, too.  I'm happy with mine.   :2vrolijk_21:

skboy

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 Street Glide
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 10:41:21 PM »

The only wire that is there is for the throttle side. Which in tune makes the install a cake walk.
Some people go to church on sundays, I ride motorcycles.

PeterJ

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2007 Buell XB12SCg, 2000 FXSTD Deuce
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 01:16:03 AM »

I had the HD grips fitted prior to me collecting my SE3. The wiring was installed internally by the dealership. However with 1300 miles on the clock I have a warranty set waiting to be fitted whenever I can get time off work to replace the ones that failed after 500 miles from new. I know these grips are prone to failure but I just like the way that the control is fitted into the left hand grip. Not sure with the heat daemons but I think thats a separate controller that gets fitted to the  bars? and theres not much space there once you have the bracket for the 660 GPS installed.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 01:25:18 AM »

and theres not much space there once you have the bracket for the 660 GPS installed.

Using the GPS mount that attaches at the switch housing you can't use the Heat Demon's mount.  The Heat Demon's switch is incorporated in the front half of a replacement switch clamp.

The Heat Demons kit is offered two ways though.  With the switch on either the right or the left side.  If your left side is occupied by the GPS mount bracket the Heat Demon's switch could go on the right.  Like this:

MooseAmos

• Full CVO Member
  • "Damn Few..."

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 - "Louie"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTI - "Harry"
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 09:32:23 AM »

I had the HD grips fitted prior to me collecting my SE3. The wiring was installed internally by the dealership. However with 1300 miles on the clock I have a warranty set waiting to be fitted whenever I can get time off work to replace the ones that failed after 500 miles from new. I know these grips are prone to failure but I just like the way that the control is fitted into the left hand grip. Not sure with the heat daemons but I think thats a separate controller that gets fitted to the  bars? and theres not much space there once you have the bracket for the 660 GPS installed.

Because of the sketchy record of the HD heated grips I also had mine fitted before delivery of my SE3 so they'd forever be covered by bike warranty--have just over 1K miles & mine are still working great (in fact the temp control ranges from "0" to "6" & I can't hang on to them when set to "3" or above...).  In hindsight I wish I'd waited because now I want to change out the bars for some 14" or 16" apes to help with the riding position so the warranty will OBE for the grips...   :-[  Moose
- 2012 Black/Slate CVO Street Glide:  Rinehart True Duals; HD Supertuner; LED Headlight/Passing Lamps/Turn Signals; Zumo 665 GPS + XM; 8.5" Klock Werks Shield; Corbin Hollywood Solo; Detachable King TourPak; Heated Grips; etc.

- 2006 Vivid Black Heritage Softail:  SE Exhaust; HD Supertuner; Heavy Breather; Passing Lamps; Corbin Solo; Detachable Ghost Shield/Boss Leather Trunk + Saddle Bags; Lindby Twinbar; etc.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 11:51:35 AM »

I too switched to the Heat Demons. Know in advance that they do not get as hot as the Harley grips, but that's probably why they last much longer.  Also, just be careful of the wiring solder joints on the grid. They break off real easy!
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 02:51:24 PM »

I see the Heat Demons will not fit the 2010 CVO SG. Do we know if the fit the 2011 CVO SG?
 Gary

PeterJ

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2007 Buell XB12SCg, 2000 FXSTD Deuce
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 09:52:16 PM »

Just had a warranty replacement of the left HD heated grip.
All working now. For how long? We will see.
 :jalapeno:

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 01:03:21 PM »

Just had a warranty replacement of the left HD heated grip.
All working now. For how long? We will see.
 :jalapeno:

Figure about 12 months, give or take...

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 01:26:07 PM »

I see the Heat Demons will not fit the 2010 CVO SG. Do we know if the fit the 2011 CVO SG?
 Gary

As far as I know Gary the bars are the same, so the same issue would apply.  If you really want to install them, all it would take is a little reaming of the interior of the bar to make it work.

From the Heat Demon website:
--------------------------------------------------------
Heat Demon kits for Harley-Davidson motorcycles are designed to fit most OEM bars without modification of the handlebar. Known exceptions are 2008-2010 Road Glide models, CVO Street Glide and some models with 1 1/4" or aftermarket Chubby bars. Other non-stock Harley Davidson handlebars and some aftermarket brands may also have a smaller ID.

If in doubt, check to confirm that the inside diameter of the nadlebar is at least .875" diameter. (Standard ID of most OEM 1 1/4" bars and aftermarket 1 1/4" bars is .835"). If the ID is not .875", the ID of the Handlebar on the throttle side needs to be increased to .875" X 6" in. The handlebars will need to be reamed out to .875". It is recommended that this be done by a machine shop or a qualified mechanic. (The material removed will be less than 1/2 the thickness of a dime.)  
--------------------------------------------------------

Jerry  
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

roadking71865

• "The Dark Knight"
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: The Dark Knight
    • CVO2: '03 FLHRSEI2 (sold)
    • CVO3: '08 F-250 Diesel
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 02:57:11 PM »

Had my HD's for 2 yrs. now and still working fine.
Fullsac B X-pipe
1.75 pwr. cores
Big Sucker A/C
TTS MasterTuner
BAL Tail Light, Motolights
Custom Dynamics LED Turning Lamps
HD LED Headlamp & Passing Lamps
J & M FlexPower AM/FM/WB Antenna
J & M FlexPower CB Antenna
Mini Beast Air Horn, Wheeldock EZ-UP Center Stnd
Kennedy Technology CellSet
External XM SRS Satellite Antenna
HarleyGoodies Floor board extenders
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 440's
Clearview 9.5" windshield
Corbin Dual Tour Heated Seat

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 02:59:05 PM »

After an indepth discussion with the folks at Heat Demons regarding this reaming matter, they suggested AGAINST this!  The grids are flexible and plenty capable of fitting bars a bit below .875".  If close, don't bother reaming.  To confirm the need, just make sure the grid doesn't overlap itself when inserting. If it doesn't, you're good to go.  Call them and confirm this.

CVO2012

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 05:28:07 PM »

I have one installed on my 2012 SG Cvo, since that time I bought the bike in Nov 2011 up till now, I have no problem. Working fine

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.