Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Baker Oil pan on SE Fat BoB  (Read 4224 times)

GreatGazoo

• Junior CVO Member
Baker Oil pan on SE Fat BoB
« on: June 02, 2012, 10:14:53 PM »

I am sure all of you are feeling the heat with these 110's, has anyone put a baker deeper oil pan on? How is the fitment?  Does it run cooler?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GreatGazoo

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Baker Oil pan on SE Fat BoB
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 11:08:19 AM »

Thanks Ray,but these still do not answer my question

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 05:33:19 PM »

No, it won't make the perceived heat any better (the heat you actually feel).  It might make a small difference in the average oil temperature, since there is more surface area for cooling on that extended pan and the internal baffling is supposedly better at forcing the oil to circulate within the pan for cooling purposes before it heads back to the engine again.  And of course an extra 50% in the reservoir means it takes longer for any particular bit of oil to go back into the breech, so to speak.  I haven't seen any documented test results, however, that directly compare oil temperatures between the stock system and the Baker.  That would be a very nice piece of information to have available when you are selling a pretty pricey modification like this, but it's not unusual for people selling modifications for Harley's to dispense with factual test results in their ads.

BTW, I'm not certain it will even fit a Dyna.  The listings I've seen only mention FLH/FLT models, not FXD.  You may want to pose that question directly to Baker.

Ray Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GreatGazoo

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 10:53:21 AM »

Sorry to Jerry First since I botched your name...replying too many times and got confused. My apologies.

The oil pan I am looking for a hair of heat reduction but when I took it apart there was only two quarts in it. The dealer runs them low since the crank case pressure is so high that I have blow by on the carb. There was a lot of oil in the carb to the point I am really surprised. Since there are only two quarts, the engine is being lubed but certainly not cooled by the oil in any way shape or form. I would like to add an oil cooler and an oil pan to deal with the heat and have a bit more oil in there.

twinotter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 11:24:53 AM »

The oil pan extension available is for FLH types only. There is nothing available for the FXD types. I'd suggest a good oil cooler like the new 10 row, and even a fan system.
The Dyna won't hold 3 quarts as suggested, mine holds about 2 3/4. If your will only hold 2 quarts without spewing, I'd have the vent system checked, the newer steels head venting system is supposed to help (if yours doesn't already have it). FWIW  twinotter :)

GreatGazoo

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 11:52:44 AM »

I tried the 10 row but it will not fit without losing the fairing.  I have another thread going about what cooler will work. I am beginning to think of making one that mounts under the head lights but I would need a 10 row without any mounting brackets. There is a TSB about what I am mentioning and running it low seems well...stupid.   

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 12:44:11 PM »

Using the oil pans on the tranny has the oil pick up in the front of pan. DO NOT DO WHEELIES!!! Your motor will get any oil for that breif amount of time.
Ltank. I have a S&S V111 EVO  withs the larger  Jagg 10 row oil cooler and a HD Dyna thermostar set up, and during a 95 degree day, riding 300 miles the Oil temp is at 180 t0 185 degrees
Ltank

GreatGazoo

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 02:41:41 PM »

Nice...mine runs way too hot and is running much hotter than yours on average. 

twinotter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 11:52:03 AM »

The first thing to remember with a stock engine is everything is setup and tuned to meet EMISSIONS!! They are setup so lean and restricted that heat is the only result.
You will need to get rid of the restrictions, air filter, cats, exhaust pipes and then retune the engine to the proper AFR for a Harley engine. That has never been 14.7, Harleys prefer, almost demand an AFR between 13.5 and 13.8. Under extreme load, the AFR may have to be as low as 12.5. Set up to actually run (not meet emissions) they will run far cooler, everything lasts longer when its not being fried!!
Get a tuner like the TTS, find a competent guy to do the tuning, change what needs to be changed to unrestrict the system, the engine will run way cooler and be much happier.
My S&S T124 typically runs about 185 on 80degree days, highest I've ever seen is 210 on a 104 degree day in Sturgis, and that was stuck in traffic for 40 minutes. It has the small 5 row oil cooler I installed in 02'.
The work begins! FWIW  twinotter  :)

MadCVORG

• '11 FLTRUSE
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 10:02:12 PM »

I just had the Baker pan installed on my 110, and the tech said the fit was spot on. Don't know yet how much drop in temp I'll get, but as I was running 1.5 qts low after my upgrades, I like having the additional capacity. Taking it out on a shakedown run tomorrow, so we'll see if there's any additional cooling.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 09:02:52 AM »

I just had the Baker pan installed on my 110, and the tech said the fit was spot on. Don't know yet how much drop in temp I'll get, but as I was running 1.5 qts low after my upgrades, I like having the additional capacity. Taking it out on a shakedown run tomorrow, so we'll see if there's any additional cooling.

I assume you're talking about installing it on a Touring model, not a Fat Bob, so I would expect the fit to be good.  Bert Baker is no slouch, he puts out well engineered products.

Why would you run your oil 1.5 quarts low?  I can see a pint low, which is what I do to avoid blowing oil out out the breathers, but 1.5 quarts is not something I've ever heard of anyone doing on purpose. :nixweiss:

Jerry

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 21 queries.