Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rear Fender Bib Rattle  (Read 1800 times)

M Bon

• Junior CVO Member
Rear Fender Bib Rattle
« on: June 20, 2012, 07:24:28 PM »

Does anyone else have a rear fender bib rattle? I have an awful rattle mostly when decelerating and I believe it is from the plastic bib around the rear fender. Cranking the tunes is the only was to make it go away. I mentioned it to the dealer and they said they tightened everything up and the tech said he couldn't hear it. When I got on the bike and road it guess what? No change! It is at the dealer now and asked them to look at it again. Any fixes out there?

Tannehill Kid

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Street Glide
Re: Rear Fender Bib Rattle
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 10:10:54 PM »

No rattles here.

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 10:33:46 PM »

I had the right side LED housing top screw boss brake off and the light vibrated.

:bananarock: :bananarock:

Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 10:38:47 PM »

Does anyone else have a rear fender bib rattle? I have an awful rattle mostly when decelerating and I believe it is from the plastic bib around the rear fender. Cranking the tunes is the only was to make it go away. I mentioned it to the dealer and they said they tightened everything up and the tech said he couldn't hear it. When I got on the bike and road it guess what? No change! It is at the dealer now and asked them to look at it again. Any fixes out there?

Can you cause the same rattle by just revving the engine with the bike sitting still and chopping the throttle?  If you can, it will make tracing the source infinitely easier.  I assume when you say bib you're talking about the rear facia that the turn signal envelopes mount to.  Those turn signal modules and lenses might be a possibility.  Or it may have nothing to do with the facia, it could be the exhaust system or something in or on one of the saddlebags for instance.  Easy enough to find if you can make the bike make the noise while it's sitting still and you can put your hands on the various parts.  If you can't, try removing the bags and see if the noise is still there.  Put your hands on the various parts like the turn signals and license plate bracket and see if you can wiggle anything.  A fix is only possible once you've found the real source of the problem.

Good Luck.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 21 queries.