Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange vibration  (Read 1362 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Strange vibration
« on: September 12, 2012, 10:14:50 PM »

That could be a good name for a 60s rock band, lol.  ;D But I noticed something today that has me stumped.   ???

Backing out of my garage today with the motor running and when I applied the front brake to stop the bike from moving I noticed a vibration.  Further investigation reveals that with the motor idling and the bike completely stopped if I apply either the rear or the front brakes the motor vibrates.  Of course these v-twins vibrate at idle but when the brake is applied the vibration increases.

So I experimented.  Bike completely stopped with engine idling.  Does not matter if in neutral for first gear - same result.  Apply rear brake only and engine vibrates a little more.  Apply front brake only and engine vibrates much more - noticeably more, handlebars shake.  More noticeable from just a cold start.  Once motor warmed up it was still there but less so.

Only thing I can think of is ABS causing this.  But I cannot see why it would.   :nixweiss:  Don't think this is anything new.  Probably been doing this all along and I just happened to notice it today.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Strange vibration
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 10:47:15 PM »

That could be a good name for a 60s rock band, lol.  ;D But I noticed something today that has me stumped.   ???

Backing out of my garage today with the motor running and when I applied the front brake to stop the bike from moving I noticed a vibration.  Further investigation reveals that with the motor idling and the bike completely stopped if I apply either the rear or the front brakes the motor vibrates.  Of course these v-twins vibrate at idle but when the brake is applied the vibration increases.

So I experimented.  Bike completely stopped with engine idling.  Does not matter if in neutral for first gear - same result.  Apply rear brake only and engine vibrates a little more.  Apply front brake only and engine vibrates much more - noticeably more, handlebars shake.  More noticeable from just a cold start.  Once motor warmed up it was still there but less so.

Only thing I can think of is ABS causing this.  But I cannot see why it would.   :nixweiss:  Don't think this is anything new.  Probably been doing this all along and I just happened to notice it today.

If you want to verify if it's the ABS pump, you could pull the fuse or disconnect the wiring connector and then apply the brake at idle and see if you no longer get the same vibration.  The ABS module is supposed to be rubber mounted to isolate the frame and rest of the bike from vibration and noise, but it's probably not 100% effective considering it's a Harley. ;) 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 11:03:26 PM »

The front and rear suspension dampen vibration considerably watch your front wheel at Idle there is considerable movement, when you lock that wheel with the brake the vibes are transmitted to the frame, every bike ive ever owned has done this ABS or not.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 11:37:31 PM »

Jerry, my '12 does what you are talking about a lot more than my '00 does or my '04 did, but they all do it to some degree.  The '12 seems to have gotten better with time, but it's still more pronounced on that bike than the others for some reason, not sure why.  :nixweiss:

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 09:59:51 AM »

Thanks guys for the replys.  Never noticed this on my '07 or even on the '11 ruse I had for a year.  May have done it but just did not notice. 

Not really going to worry about it however.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 10:40:02 PM »

It's normal and here is why.  Watch your bike at idle sitting in neutral and you'll see the shake in the bike/wheels etc.  Now, when you hit the brake, the wheel no longer moves free of the chassis and the wheel is now one with the forks.  The vibration is now transferred through the hydraulic system into the chassis. 
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

Doc 1

• Doc 1
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 08:00:12 PM »

It's normal and here is why.  Watch your bike at idle sitting in neutral and you'll see the shake in the bike/wheels etc.  Now, when you hit the brake, the wheel no longer moves free of the chassis and the wheel is now one with the forks.  The vibration is now transferred through the hydraulic system into the chassis. 

I agree with Ed.....it's very noticeable with the frt brake applied.
Doc
Doc's Performance Tuning

www.docsperformancetuning.com

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 21 queries.