Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boom Audio Speakers for Non Vented Road Glide Lowers  (Read 1279 times)

rogercm

• Roger Street Glide

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE
Boom Audio Speakers for Non Vented Road Glide Lowers
« on: June 21, 2012, 12:05:37 PM »

Does anyone know if any of the aftermarket speakers for lower fairings will work in the non-vented CVO Road Glide lowers or do they only work in the vented design? Everywhere I look the applications always read "Harley Davidson Vented Lowers" versus the non vented design that were the only ones available when I bought the bike. Thanks!

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Boom Audio Speakers for Non Vented Road Glide Lowers
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 12:26:01 PM »

Roger, if I moved this thread to get you more responses.   

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 05:23:40 PM »

With my experience with the non-vented lowers for my 09 SERG, I found some people customizing their glove boxes to make them fit but I didn't like the look of them. I ended up having Kevin Morris "Sincecrazy" on the Roadglide.org forum custom make a set of speaker pods out of fiberglass and I put a set of 6.5" Alpines in them. They were expensive but they came painted Vivid Black and they fit my lowers perfectly and didn't take away anything from the look of the lowers. Kevin has/had a sticky on the forum but I think because they are labor intensive, he only makes them when someone orders them and the wait is probably 3-4 weeks by the time they are painted. It's been about a year since I've installed them and they are just like new and because it has been a year, I can't say if he's still doing them. I can tell you that they were at least $500.00 but maybe since then they've come out with something newer but because the lowers are so close to the fairing and the air cleaner (they won't work with anything like a Heavy Breather, I'm still using the stock Ventilator) I haven't seen anything else that would fit. You always could sell your lowers and opt for a set of SE vented lowers with the speaker pods like on the SE Street Glide, you'd have to do some checking to ensure fitment but I'm sure since when I put mine on, newer improved pieces have been made. Good luck with whatever route you take. :2vrolijk_21:
Randy D
Kristie D, Angel on my shoulders, October 10, 1973-April 16, 2009

rogercm

• Roger Street Glide

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 06:20:35 PM »

Thanks again Big Dog, based upon your response and others, I think I will end up using the glove box speakers from Hard Ride, an after market amplifier, and upgrade the first generation J&M's I have in there now to a bigger better set. Also probably the most cost effective as well. All after market speakers for lower fairings are all for vented lowers. You have been most help and I appreciate your insight.

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 01:35:46 PM »

No worries, I know what you're up against, I had to read a heck of alot of info on this and other sites before I went with my setup, it's not the very best out there, but it's what worked for me. There are alot of setups out there that sure sound good standing still but when they get on the road, they wonder where the sound went. If you're just starting to look into the stereo thing, I'd first look into if you're still using the stock windscreen, the wind will kill any sound improvement you will make. I went with a Long Ride Shield with a recurve and 8" and even that helped out, the better the windsheild, the better sound you will get. Another is your helmet, if I go with my half helmet, I wear earplugs to get the wind out of my ears, and it helps believe it or not, with my fullface, the sound comes in a little clearer. I went with Alpine SPR-60 6.5" in my fairing and lowers with a 2 ch Wetsounds amp, essentially a weatherproof ARC amp, and it gives me what I need. I have a set of four Hertz high energy speakers when the Alpines lay down but they've survived high volume and bike washes so far. I've also heard a great setup with FOCAL speakers but then again, it's what you want and can afford. As far as bullet proof, I think a Hawg Wired is a great system, maybe a bit expensive, but I think being built specifically for use on a bike, it's one I should have seriously looked at when I started this. Their amps are easy on your charging system and draw very little compared to a car amp that can suck the life out of your battery if you're sitting with it on and detailing your bike for example. Whatever you do, don't get down on yourself if you find your expectations of a system high when your fairing is off and testing the stereo compared to riding down the road at 70 mph trying to hear it clear, there are just too many variables, I'm not saying that it can't be done, there are some wicked setups on this site and they pump I'm sure, but they have invested quite abit of money and time I'm sure to have that listening pleasure. I wish I could do the same, but just can't at this time. There are also members, especially on the other site I referred to you, that put speakers facing their forks inside the fairings, they say that it is a great improvement, I can't find the guts to cut huge holes in my fairing so I'll stay away from that one, but if it works and they are happy, that's all that matters. Also, there are great step by step threads on here, I used Greg Khougaz's installation thread when he did his J&M install on his Road Glide, worked well. Good luck with your project, ride safe. :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 01:40:17 PM by Big Dog »
Randy D
Kristie D, Angel on my shoulders, October 10, 1973-April 16, 2009

rogercm

• Roger Street Glide

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 09:45:35 PM »

Thanks for the excellent overview. You certainly have done the research for all of us! I appreciate the technical information and gonna take a hard look at Hog Wired as you have stated. Will get back to you when I pull the trigger, have a safe weekend with the breeze on your knees! Thanks for your guidance!

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 25 queries.