Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: 104 Octane Booster  (Read 19437 times)

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
Re: 104 Octane Booster
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2012, 05:25:55 PM »

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2012, 08:57:51 PM »

No problem getting 91 octane in Canada, some stations even have 93 octane. I remember Sunoco having 93/94. Most gas in Canada now has 10% ethanol. FWIW  twinotter  ;D

I can even get 97 octane from a dedicated Chevron pump in Abbotsford, BC and yes, over 90 is easy to find, if it really is that in them there tanks.
Randy D
Kristie D, Angel on my shoulders, October 10, 1973-April 16, 2009

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2012, 06:43:53 PM »

I run the 104 Octane Boost in both of my trucks... But, why does every Fuel Injected Harley Owners Manuals explicitally tell you Never add an Octane Boost to your system.

Something on the lines that "It Will Damage The System".

The best we can get here in my area is 90oct from the Chevron stations.

Getting ready to ride through Canada, and have been told I might get lucky to even find 90oct (although I seem to remember finding it, or better).

So, I guess my question is "What Damage to the System is Harley referring to"?   8)

Because it gives them another reason to deny your warranty claim?  :nixweiss:

Just my opinion - but a good tune should not ping. If it's pinging, then the timing is too advanced for the CR and the stoic of the fuel being used. The best solution is to get the timing and lambda (AFR) correct for your build in the ECM calibration.

Octane boosters are fine for situations where you can't get fuel with a high enough octane content - but I would not want to have to rely on them all the time to prevent pinging. If your bike is pinging consistently, your tune is off and it needs to be adjusted so that your engine does not ping. Of course, all other things being equal, the higher the CR the more it will tend to ping on a certain octane content, and higher CRs need more octane to prevent pre-ignition and detonation.

The Knock Retard table in the ECM can help - but I don't think it will, or would ever need, to retard timing anywhere near 30 degrees. 2 degrees to a max of 5 degrees is what the TTS calibrations generally use.

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

StrokedRider

• If i had to do it all over again i would Ride a little harder, Love a little better and Stay a little longer.
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Ride Hard, Live Free!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red / Black Ice (SOLD to Mjcw01)
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2012, 06:55:13 PM »

Man i just HATE to think that i need to take my stock bike to the stealer and pay to have them "set my timing"?!!!!!
"Harley Davidson - The Perfect Machine to Turn Gasoline into Noise Without the Pesky Bi-Product of Horsepower!"

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2012, 07:42:43 PM »

Man i just HATE to think that i need to take my stock bike to the stealer and pay to have them "set my timing"?!!!!!

Again, just my opinion... you can play with timing advance with the TTS and do data runs until you see knock detect, and then back off the timing in those cells a couple of degrees... but it's a lengthy, tedious process. A shorter, but more expensive, way is to have a dyno run done by someone who really knows what they are doing with the TTS, and have the timing set correctly everywhere. But don't assume that just because you have a dyno tune done, the timing really was set correctly across the map... I simple TQ/HP printout tells you nothing about the timing. Only the calibration file itself will show you where the timing is actually set for each RPM/kPa cell. It's a Trust, but Verify scenario...

I prefer to do it myself with the TTS - because I am a control freak and I want to know exactly how my tune is working, and why. I currently have the timing advanced by 1, 2, and 3 degrees from the TTS ETA009-003 cal we started with progressively at higher RPM/kPa values - starting at 3000 RPM and 50 kPa. No pinging yet, so I'll keep advancing it progressively a degree at a time in each area until a data run shows knock detect - then I'll back it off 2 degrees from there for safety. The ECM knock detect will protect your engine - but it does this by slightly retarding the timing for a period of time. I don't want my ECM making these "detuning" timing adjustments continually - I want the timing to be correct in the cal - so I strive to get the timing as advanced as possible without the ECM Knock Detect ever kicking in. However, this approach is definitely not for everyone...

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 21 queries.