Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: extended warrenty ins.  (Read 1063 times)

thenarm3232

extended warrenty ins.
« on: July 29, 2012, 08:36:25 PM »

Has anyone ever heard  of the extended warrenty ins. rejecting to pay for warrenty work on engine ( chipped teeth on fly wheel) because i've been using a k&n oil filter. The filter has nothing to do with the problem. Is this another case of we'll take your money, but to bad if there's a problem? Does anyone have any idea what my next step should be? I don't want to take this lying down, but don't know what my options are. Of course dealer is of no help. Really starting to fell like maybe i should never have left Honda. Oh yea my bike is an ultra SE 110 2007. Any advise would be appreciated. Thx.

thenarm3232

extended warrenty ins.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 08:44:28 PM »

Has anyone ever heard of extended warrenty ins. offered through harley rejecting to do engine work (chipped teeth on fly wheel) because i used a non harley oil filter. Filter has nothing to do with fly wheel problem. Of course i'm getting no help from dealer because they want me to pay. Does anyone have any suggestions as what i could do next. The bike is an 07 ultra cvo 110. I'm starting to feel like maybe i never should have left Honda. Thx.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: extended warrenty ins.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 08:49:04 PM »

Has anyone ever heard  of the extended warrenty ins. rejecting to pay for warrenty work on engine ( chipped teeth on fly wheel) because i've been using a k&n oil filter. The filter has nothing to do with the problem. Is this another case of we'll take your money, but to bad if there's a problem? Does anyone have any idea what my next step should be? I don't want to take this lying down, but don't know what my options are. Of course dealer is of no help. Really starting to fell like maybe i should never have left Honda. Oh yea my bike is an ultra SE 110 2007. Any advise would be appreciated. Thx.

Sounds like they are following in the footsteps of the MoCo. :shocked2: If you haven't already read your extended warranty plan (ESP) to see if there is anything in there stating you have to used all MoCo parts and if you can't find it have them refer you to that clause that states you have to use MoCo parts or the ESP is void. If you can't find it or they can't refer you to where it is then you could get a lawyer ($$$) have them look at it and fight them in court... but after all the associated fees it might be cheaper to cash the ESP in and fix the bike on your own dime.

BTW - Since your first post was of a technically nature I moved it to an appropriate board so you may receive answers to your question. If you want you can create a new thread in the Member Introduction board to introduce/tell us about yourself & bike.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 09:07:11 PM »

Has anyone ever heard of extended warrenty ins. offered through harley rejecting to do engine work (chipped teeth on fly wheel) because i used a non harley oil filter. Filter has nothing to do with fly wheel problem. Of course i'm getting no help from dealer because they want me to pay. Does anyone have any suggestions as what i could do next. The bike is an 07 ultra cvo 110. I'm starting to feel like maybe i never should have left Honda. Thx.

Take it to another dealer. They can not refuse a flywheel because of using an after market oil filter

Bmsaski@aol.com

• CVO1: 2009 CVO ROAD GLIDE
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 09:15:45 PM »

Yes Yes..I had out of round cylinders that caused piston slap. My mechanic who is certified to do Harley warranty work did the job. He had to fight with the extended warranty company that (Harley pushes when you purchase the bike), after he removed the cylinders to prove the defect..The first adjuster rejected the claim even though it was clearly a defect from Harley. My mechanic demeaned another adjuster after registering a complaint with the warranty co..The second adjuster approved the claim. After the job was complete the warranty co took a large discount approx. $500.00 off the bill of $1800.00 the parts alone where approx. $900.00 the labor was approx. $400.00 so he did make any profit... good luck and keep pushing them to make the repairs.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 08:51:32 AM »

First, the product you have (ESP) is not a warranty, it is a service contract similar to an insurance policy.  Read the contract carefully to determine what the actual exclusions are, versus listening to some unethical dealership person who is trying to avoid doing the work for the lower dollar amounts they receive from the insurance company.  How did the service contract folks find out you have a nonstandard oil filter anyway, if the dealership didn't tell them?

Have you called the administrator for the ESP yourself, or are you just listening to what the dealership folks claim the ESP folks told them?  I suggest starting by calling them yourself, and if the first person you talk to just parrots what the dealer said then escalate your complaint to someone higher up the food chain.  If all else fails, take them to small claims court.

IMHO, most of these obvious problems with ESP repairs are caused by the dealership personnel looking to screw with folks they don't like for whatever reason, or to avoid doing the work for the rates the ESP company pays.  People with good dealers or indy's doing their ESP work never seem to have issues, even with modified engines that really aren't covered per the contract.  Wonder why that is?

Jerry

edit:  I would be highly surprised if the ESP folks are really requiring prior approval on relatively small repairs like a ring gear and starter drive gear, but considering how many claims they are getting these days for all the fine top quality stuff Harley pawned off on the customers and indirectly on the ESP folks, maybe they have set up a bunch of bogus reps to go around and seek out any possible excuse to refuse to pay for legitimate repairs.  Or perhaps this dealership is one of those who got on the prior approval list due to playing fast and loose on claims in the past?  Regardless, the recommendation remains the same.  Consult the actual contract, talk directly to a supervisor or manager at the ESP company, and if they still refuse to do the right thing either sue the crap out of them in small claims court, or insist they return the money you paid for the useless plan.  I still think you will find that the real problem was caused by the dealership, and if that's the case you need to find a different place to do business in the future.  I've seen places try to play these games when people didn't buy the ESP from them, or they don't pay the inflated prices for the dealer to do the maintenance, or just because they feel like being pricks. 

Using a different brand of oil filter should not affect coverage even for engine related failures, but using that BS excuse for not covering a failure that has nothing whatsoever to do with the oil filter is just pure unadulterated fraud IMHO.  If this really is the way this company is going to do business going forward, I hope customers start cashing in those policies in droves, and new customers refuse to buy them in the first place.

Oh, btw, if you still have the stock compensator on the bike that may be why your ring gear and starter gear are screwed up.  It was a fairly common problem with the 2007-2008 bikes.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 08:03:30 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 09:19:44 AM »

Put a HD oil filter on it and go to another dealer.......hope the one that kicked you didn't computer it. Good luck!!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

thenarm3232

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 09:47:37 AM »

according to dealer it's not them. They say an adjuster came into dealer and is the one that makes the call. They say he has nto approve the claim.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 11:19:08 AM »

according to dealer it's not them. They say an adjuster came into dealer and is the one that makes the call. They say he has nto approve the claim.
I was wondering about that.  Pretty much SOP for them to send someone out to inspect for big ticket repairs.  Most likely there is a $ threshold above which requires an inspection.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 01:21:08 PM »

Do what d00d said...ask them to show you in writing where it specifies that you MUST use HD products only.  If you've done engine mods, they can get you, but for using an alternate brand of oil filter, I'd have to fight that one.  There are tens of thousands of people who use K&N products in the bikes and cars...you might even consider contacting K&N customer service and tell them what's going on, just to see what their reaction is.

The HD filter is supposed to filter down to 5 microns...so will the K&N and many others.  Because it is a 5 micron filter does NOT mean that it filters all particles larger than that, just that it can filter particles DOWN to that size.  As the media gets more and more clogged up with larger particles, it begins catching smaller particles more effectively, then starts bypassing the filter altogether if it gets clogged up enough(highly unlikely).

I may have missed it in my ESP, but I do not recall reading that I had to use HD service products (lubes, filters, etc) exclusively.  My ESP is packed up for my move tomorrow, or I'd pull it out and double check myself.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 25 queries.