Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Which tuner should I go with?  (Read 1683 times)

savagegxc

• CVO1: 2012 SESG (Black diamond/slate)
Which tuner should I go with?
« on: July 07, 2012, 02:02:16 PM »

Just picked up my 2012 SESG (black diamond/slate) and setting in my garage are V & H True Duals and Monster Rounds.  I an itching to get them installed and my dealer is telling me the Thundermax ECM with Auto-Tuner is the way to go because it auto adjusts itself, etc.  The bike has about 200 miles on it right now if that helps anyone. 

Which tuner do you guys recommend and why?

YELLOWBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO ROADGLIDE
Re: Which tuner should I go with?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 02:41:27 PM »

TTS Mastertune Tuner.

If you can hold off alittle bit, they are coming out with a new model.

Also I think, there aren't any of the old ones around.

Good luck and Ride Safe,

YELLOWBIRD
2009 SCREAMIN' EAGLE CVO ROAD GLIDE FLTRSE3 117" PRO RACE
(1 OF ONLY 369 US) "LAST YEAR OF THE HAND BUILT"

UAV Pilot

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 05:59:49 PM »

I have the Power Vision and like the features that if offers.  I know some here will not like it, but its what I researched and decided to buy.  Ultimately, its a matter of preference and what features you want.  I personally will not tweak each and every parameter that is available to me with the Power Vision but it's there if I want it. 
Better to Remain Silent and Thought a Fool, Than To Open One's Mouth and Remove All Doubt......Abraham Lincoln

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 08:23:14 PM »

TTS   

Had TTS on my 09 CVO Road Glide, have it on my 12 CVO Road Glide.

Have it on my wifes 11 Street Glide.

Wait till the new version is out, any time now.

TTS is the way to go
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

glens

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 08:36:03 PM »

Were I in the same situation I'd probably just mount the mufflers and ride it that way until the new TTS interface ships.  You can do most of what the TTS can do with most of the other interface kits out there.  While some of them may have some more attractive "look and feel" characteristics, it's hard to ignore the TTS' abilities to select MAP sensor poll timing and to adjust the calibration for internal EGR effects.  Those are both features which can provide very tangible improvements to a tune and are worth much more in my book than a seemingly better user experience while generating the tune.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 10:14:17 AM »

Just picked up my 2012 SESG (black diamond/slate) and setting in my garage are V & H True Duals and Monster Rounds.  I an itching to get them installed and my dealer is telling me the Thundermax ECM with Auto-Tuner is the way to go because it auto adjusts itself, etc.  The bike has about 200 miles on it right now if that helps anyone. 

Which tuner do you guys recommend and why?

Need more info.  Do you plan to just install a replacement ECM like the T-Max and ride, or do you intend to use one of the VCI and software packages like SEPST/TTS/PV etc. to install a modified map to your stock ECM, or do you intend to have a professional tuner do a custom dyno tune?  There are many ways to get from where you are to where you're going, but first you need to figure out where it is you want to go.

If you plan on a professional custom tune, then I'd suggest you spend your time searching for a top notch professional tuner.  Do not make the mistake of assuming your Harley dealer is top notch or a tuner btw.  There are tons of places with a dyno and some guys who have been shown how to hook the bikes up and run them.  That is not the same thing as a top notch professional tuner.  Once you find the highly qualified person you want to do your tune, then consult with him about the device and software he recommends.

If you plan on a do it yourself approach then I'd suggest you first check the various possibilities (SEPST, TTS, Power Commander, T-Max, etc.) to see if they have a canned map that matches your bike.  You will probably find that some companies don't have a great selection of maps, especially for lower volume bikes and CVO's.  And even if you decide to go with a so-called auto tune system, you still need a base map that is very close for that system to work properly.  There is no such thing as a truly and totally automatic tuning solution.  Read the ads and exaggerated claims for those systems with caution and a healthy dose of skepticism. 

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 10:32:31 AM »

I am a bit shocked that a dealer would recommend a Thundermax simply because it totally REPLACES the HD ECM.  There will be various opinions on this, but IMO, though YOUR dealer may not give you chit about something that might happen to the engine down the road and go ahead and fix the problem, another dealer may not do so because you have totally replaced the stock controller for the entire motorcycle's function.  It just gives them more ammo to deny warranty coverage.  With something like the TTS, it's a 10 minute process to load the stock calibration back into the bike's ECM before you take it to the dealer for warranty work.  And the stock ECM stays on the bike.

As Jerry mentioned, no matter which tuner you use, it's all about the base map initially...especially if you are not planning on having it dyno tuned by a competent tuner.  From my reading here and elsewhere, there are very few professional tuners out there who are familiar with a Thundermax.  I would not use one for a number of reasons, but that is me and not you.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

BostonboyDH

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 10:48:27 AM »

TTS.... SE SUPERTUNER...  DIRECT LINK...

savagegxc

• CVO1: 2012 SESG (Black diamond/slate)
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 11:04:25 AM »

Thanks for all the replies.  After your input, I have decided to go with the new TTS when it comes out.

jojovinvin

• 18 in PM wheels, lots of extra chrome!

• CVO1: 03 SERK
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 01:02:54 AM »

i think thunder max is the way to go, yes its a little spendy, but you will be amazed at the power and perfomance you will have.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 01:10:46 AM »

i think thunder max is the way to go, yes its a little spendy, but you will be amazed at the power and perfomance you will have.

That's a significant generalization.  If you've got a very good map the T-Max can make the bike run very well.  Many in their library of base maps aren't outstanding to be begin with though.  So it's something of a crap shoot.

Back to the original poster's original question though.  Are you dialing it in yourself?  Or paying someone to do it for you?  If paying someone to do the deed paying attention to all/any of us here may be something of a cart-before-the-horse decision.  Go with the tuner's choice. 

If you're paying the guy to use a tool get him the tool he'll do best with.  If doing it yourself the TTS package is a good choice.  It's got a steep learning curve to get really familiar with it.  So count on some real time first getting familiar with the software so you can actually use the package then some more time riding the bike to really dial it in.  But with that effort you can do a very adequate job.

bobsplus

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 10:45:16 PM »

THUNDERMAX...... I can adjust the idle while on the road and I can store up to 5 maps and change the map I want to run while on the road, I don't know of any tuner that has these capabilities......it really does quite alot.  :carrot:
Ride it like ya Stole IT!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 11:45:54 AM »

THUNDERMAX...... I can adjust the idle while on the road and I can store up to 5 maps and change the map I want to run while on the road, I don't know of any tuner that has these capabilities......it really does quite alot.  :carrot:

Please explain how this is accomplished with a Thundermax.  Why would you want/need to change the "idle"?  How do you store, change, and/or load maps while on the road without the use of a laptop?

Are you sure you are not speaking of a Power Vision?
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 25 queries.