Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Harley enforces its “non-retail sales policy” - and lost against Laidlaw's H-D  (Read 3574 times)

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

Wild Card

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3

Wow.  The “non-retail sales policy” prohibits selling across state lines.  I would think that there's not a dealer in this country that isn't in breach of that one!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8

Wow.  The “non-retail sales policy” prohibits selling across state lines.  I would think that there's not a dealer in this country that isn't in breach of that one!

I remember the days when a dealership wouldn't sell to you if you were from another city or outside of their zip code.  Years ago I tried to buy a bike from (then) San Bruno Harley Davidson (120 miles from Sacramento) and they told me that I had to buy from Sacramento HD.  That would have been fine except they didn't have any available and it would have been about a six month wait.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue

Wow is right !!! Hope that is a one and done.
DND

Panhead_Jimmy

• Elite CVO Member

Being from SoCal the thing I found most interesting is that the principal owner of Orange County H-D (Ray Malzo) was the one that turned in Laidlaw's.  Speaks volumes!
2004 Hemi Dodge Slammed Ram, Short Bed Std Cab
1945 Knuckle
1956 Pan
2015 FLHTKSE
2017 CVO Street Glide Orange/Starfire Black

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8

Being from SoCal the thing I found most interesting is that the principal owner of Orange County H-D (Ray Malzo) was the one that turned in Laidlaw's.  Speaks volumes!

That's what you call "pushing the envelope". :huepfenlol2:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice

Thanks for sharing this Kraut~

How complacated can it be?  Their rules have dealers turning on their competition, restrictions on when and where you can sell a product; creating a legal mess from which only the attorneys benefit.  

JC:  I recall the days you mentioned about not being able to buy outside your zip code or reasonable proximity.  It was crazy.

Ich bin bestürzt...
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

Read the entire thing before you get your panties in a wad guys.  This is not about legitimate retail sales to real consumers.  It is about things like reporting false information to Harley to cover up sales to unauthorized agents, selling to "resellers" who then ship bikes to foreign markets, and similar stuff that almost all vehicle manufacturer's restrict.  This is not the same thing as the anticompetitive crap they have been doing with internet parts sales, for instance.

Harley management still sucks, but this isn't the issue to go to war over.  Unless of course you are one of those folks like a recent poster who wanted to know how to get a U.S. spec CVO shipped to his friend in Singapore to avoid the authorized distribution network.  This story is exactly about folks like that.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited

I remember the days when a dealership wouldn't sell to you if you were from another city or outside of their zip code.  Years ago I tried to buy a bike from (then) San Bruno Harley Davidson (120 miles from Sacramento) and they told me that I had to buy from Sacramento HD.  That would have been fine except they didn't have any available and it would have been about a six month wait.

I ran into that same response several times during the dark years, but I was told that it was because dealers that were selling at MSRP didn't want to sell to anyone not local because the dealers would never see that customer again for parts, accessories, service, etc.  It made perfect sense to me. 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 25 queries.