Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Advice - Ultra lightweight and compact travel tripod  (Read 3113 times)

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
Advice - Ultra lightweight and compact travel tripod
« on: June 13, 2012, 07:11:35 PM »

thanks, but I am only looking for advice on a tripod..... a camera tripod that is  :'( I am sure you guys can give me some advice on other things as well, but lets stick to the tripod. Something I can through in a saddlebag and not have it take up much room. Best of all worlds of course, small, lightweight, compact, but sturdy  :orange:

Thanks!!

dadof2

• MS
Re: Advice - Ultra lightweight and compact travel tripod
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 07:27:03 PM »

Manfrotto. 190 series. I don't have one but a close friend of mine does. He does a lot of hunting and uses it for his spotting scope. He got if for the same reasons you mentioned but he carries it in a backpack. This guy only buy good stuff.

I'm not sure of the price range. I was just looking at it a couple weeks ago. On my list to get.

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTCUTGSE - Sunset Orange &amp Sunset Black
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Silver Surfer - 2013 FLHRSE5 Crushed Saphire
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 08:31:16 AM »

I just purchased this tripod along with a few accessories this week. Should have it by Monday. I found a "combo pack" on Amazon that included the tripod, Quick-Release and carrying case. It really looks cool and I think will be great for packing in the motorcycle.  I'll be using it with my canon digi rebel...

Tamrac TR406 ZipShot Tripod
A120 Zipshot Camera Quick-Release Accessory Kit
A126 Zipshot Carrying Case

I looked on the net and the reviews are pretty good. Its not the most stable, especially with a heavy camera on-board, but for something quick to setup for lighter cameras it appears to do the trick. You can even bungee the legs together and use as a lightweight monopod or extension arm to get yourself and friends in the picture.

Found these videos on YouTube showing how it works:

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 09:53:50 AM »

I keep a telescoping walking stick (bad knee) with me stowed between the right saddle bag and fender.  I also use it for a tripod, the top handle unscrews to create a monopod camera mount.

http://www.rei.com/product/745686/rei-hiker-shock-light-staff

and here is an interesting page on worlds lightest tripods..    some are pricey    :'(
http://writtenbythelight.blogspot.com/2010/08/have-i-found-worlds-lightest-full-size.html
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 10:11:24 AM by cvobiker »

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 01:27:15 PM »

Gitzo Traveler Series I  http://www.gitzo.us/series-1-carbon-6x-traveler-tripod-4-section-with-g-lock  The next step up would be the Mountaineer Series.  It depends on how much your camera/lens weighs and how long a lens you will be shooting.  The traveler will handle a body and something like a 70-300.  A 70-200 2.8 lens would be pushing it unless you have the plate for the lens collar.  Shorter lenses would not be a problem with these legs.

That's about as small as you can get at 16.14" not iincluding a head.  Carbon Fiber legs.

Acratech GV2 Ballhead...I've been using this one for the past several years.  Rugged, light, as compact as a ballhead can be, and smooth as silk.  It has a Arca Swiss quick release, which is the industry standard for quality ballheads.  Or look at the Arca-Swiss Z-1 Ballhead.  Get the proper plate for your camera body from Kirk Enterprises or Really Right Stuff and you will be set for as long as you want to own it.

This setup is not cheap, but you absolutely get what you pay for in this type of gear.  It depends on how serious you are about your photography.  A quality Arca Swiss style ball head is an absolute must, IMO.  If you change cameras down the road, all you have to buy is a different plate for the camera body.

If you shoot in the "good" light...very early and very late, a quality Tripod and Ballhead is an absolute necessity.  A cable release is helpful too, or you can use the self timer.  The main thing is to have your hands off the camera when the shutter clicks.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 02:45:24 PM »

Hey Eagleglider, do you have a link to the combo pack you bought?

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 04:34:31 PM »

There are basically two reasons for using a tripod:  One is if you want to include yourself in a photo and don't have somebody else to snap the shot.  The other is for long exposures that cannot be handheld.  That means, as a rule of thumb, your shutter speed must be at least 1 over the mm of your lens.  Example:  you are shooting a 70-300 lens at the 300mm end of it's range.  The minimum shutter speed for hand holding would be 1/300 of a second.  If you have a camera body that has Vibration Reduction (Nikon's terminology) or Image Stabilization (Canon's terminology) you can get away (sometimes) with a 2 stop slower shutter speed.  In the above example, that would mean 1/150th (one stop slower) or 1/75th (two stops slower), or the closest thing to each of those numbers, which depends on your camera's capability.  Anything slower than that will result in a less than sharp image so the camera needs to be on a sturdy tripod.  Just the action of the shutter causes vibrations that will show themselves as a less than sharp photo if the camera is not mounted on a rigid platform.  Wind can cause a weak tripod to act like a tuning fork.  Your finger releasing the shutter button causes vibrations.  If a tripod/head combination is rated at 3lbs (as is the Zipshot), that realisitically means it's useful under a 1.5-2 lb camera.  Even the lightest of digital SLR camera bodies weigh 16+ ounces, and that is not counting a lens, just the body.  So, even the smallest zoom DSLR lens will put the weight over the Zipshot's capability of good support, even with good technique.  It is also non adjustable with regards to desired height.  Bottom line:  it is useful for a point and shoot in certain situations.  I am not dissing the product, only pointing out it's capability.

If I were trying to do this without spending much money, I would opt for something like the Velbon Maxi 343 or equivalent.  There are hundreds of tripods in that catagory.  A tripod needs to be height adjustable, if for no other reason than you are often setting up on uneven terrain.  So each leg needs to be independently adjustable.  If all your shots are from roadside pulloffs, then disregard that last statement.  A tripod should be tall enough, without extending the center column (it then becomes more of a monopod than a tripod) to be comfortable for you to shoot from.  Too short, and you will be hunkered over all the time.

This information comes from shooting Landscape Photography for over 20 years.  I have seen a lot of people try and "get by" with less than adequate equipment, only to later buy what they should have bought in the first place.  If you are shooting landscape photos, photos of streams, etc. your shutter speeds will often be 1/30th or less...sometimes they will be 1-10 seconds at sunset/sunrise.  If you want to shoot from a tripod, get one that will do the job at hand.

TTS Mastertune

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTCUTGSE - Sunset Orange &amp Sunset Black
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Silver Surfer - 2013 FLHRSE5 Crushed Saphire
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 05:01:09 PM »

Hey Eagleglider, do you have a link to the combo pack you bought?

Here's the combo I bought on Amazon:

Tamrac TR406 ZipShot Tripod + A120 Zipshot Camera Quick-Release Accessory Kit + A126 Z...   
Sold by JZS ELECTRONICS INC. (JZS Electronics Inc.)

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 01:20:48 AM »

Thanks for the input, I picked up a Velbon Maxi 343 off CL for $25, figured it was hard to pass up.

While looking at different tripods I saw the Mefoto, cool little tripod, only 12" when closed. The tripod is compact, and the red actually looks more like Orange in person  :2vrolijk_21: If I use the Maxi like I want to, I will step up to the Mefoto. If it sits in my bag and never gets used, I only waisted $25

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 07:04:06 AM »

For roadside shots I have a Cullman Magic 2.  The best?  No, but it works OK for it's size and compactness.  I would not use it in windy conditions.  You can steady it by hanging a bag from the center column.  Again, it is not the best and for my real tripod I prefer my Manfrotto 190CXPRO4.  Even that is not enuf in strong winds and a nice Gitzo 3-section is on my wish list.

Here is a pic and review of the Cullman from another website:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/88778-compact-travel-tripod-cullman-magic-2-review.html

Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

jmhenrie

• Full CVO Member
  • expensive oil change

• CVO1: 2007 screaming eagle electra glide Gone
    • CVO2: 2010 screeming Eagle electra glide cvo limited black
    • CVO3: 2012 cvo electra glide Electic Orange/black
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 08:51:24 AM »

I have used a Gitzo Traveler Series in my saddle bag since 2003 packs up nice and tight, this was perfect for my Nikon d200 and 70-200 lens. i still use it with the bigger d3s and a 200-400 if i do not have my bigger tripod handy better than nothing, while you can adjust your speed for hand holding the camera, any sort of tripod or mono pod makes for a sharper picture.
cheers
mike

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 03:07:53 PM »

For roadside shots I have a Cullman Magic 2.  The best?  No, but it works OK for it's size and compactness.  I would not use it in windy conditions.  You can steady it by hanging a bag from the center column.  Again, it is not the best and for my real tripod I prefer my Manfrotto 190CXPRO4.  Even that is not enuf in strong winds and a nice Gitzo 3-section is on my wish list.

Here is a pic and review of the Cullman from another website:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/88778-compact-travel-tripod-cullman-magic-2-review.html

Bill...Gitzo tripods are indeed pricey, but in this case you really do get what you pay for.  Not that there are not other adequate tripods made, but I've had my old Gitzo CF G1228 Mountaineer for over 15 years, and it's been banged around, submerged, stuck in mud and sand, and carried outside a backpack for hundreds of miles, and it still functions as well as it did when new.  It will go from eye level to on your belly.  The newer models have legs that are even easier to adjust.  It's a lifetime investment.  That and a good Arca-Swiss type ballhead will last forever.  Mine is marginal for anything larger/heavier than a 70-200/80-200...larger/longer lenses need collars with plates so you can balance the whole load better.  The only thing I add is the foam pads on the upper legs so that I can carry it on my shoulder with a big camera/lens attached.  All I need to do is get my azz somewhere beautiful and shoot...I haven't done any "serious" work in a couple of years or more.

TTS Mastertune

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 25 queries.