Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Low speed wobble 2009 serg  (Read 4322 times)

FrankieO

• CVO1: 2009 Roadglide
Low speed wobble 2009 serg
« on: June 01, 2012, 06:08:31 PM »

I have read some posts about adjusting the neck bolt, and have seen the recall that HD sent out back in  2009 saying to have your dealer adjust and this would take care of problem.  Has anyone had this done, and did it work?  My dealer says it will only last temporarily ,  and the last word from moco is to keep your hands on the handle bars.  My wobbles at about 30 -35 mph.  Please advise thanks  Frankie O

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Low speed wobble 2009 serg
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 06:32:37 PM »

I have read some posts about adjusting the neck bolt, and have seen the recall that HD sent out back in  2009 saying to have your dealer adjust and this would take care of problem.  Has anyone had this done, and did it work?  My dealer says it will only last temporarily ,  and the last word from moco is to keep your hands on the handle bars.  My wobbles at about 30 -35 mph.  Please advise thanks  Frankie O

Dealer to English translation = "That's a pain in the ass nuisance chore and we'd like to talk you out of making us do it even if that means you're riding the bike in an unsafe condition."  

If you're concerned the neck is loose (and that's as good or a better bet than anything else) make them adjust it.  Properly adjust they're right, it will come back.  It will do so when the bearings begin wearing out in many tens of thousands of miles.  

Johnnie Nap

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 CVO ROAD GLIDE
    • CVO2: 2001 ROAD KING
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 06:55:56 PM »

how many miles on the front tire?had the same problem went away after i installed a new tire

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 07:09:05 PM »

I have read some posts about adjusting the neck bolt, and have seen the recall that HD sent out back in  2009 saying to have your dealer adjust and this would take care of problem.  Has anyone had this done, and did it work?  My dealer says it will only last temporarily ,  and the last word from moco is to keep your hands on the handle bars.  My wobbles at about 30 -35 mph.  Please advise thanks  Frankie O

Your dealership seems to be among the the large number of dealerships that prefer to wag their tongues rather than turn wrenches.  If you could fix stuff strictly by talking it to death, Harley dealerships would have the highest "fix" rate in the world.  Unfortunately, really fixing stuff still requires basic things like real knowledge, a little gumption, and some wrench turning ability.  Harley and it's dealers seem to come up lacking all too often in all three areas.

If your steering head bearings are properly adjusted to the correct specification and the lock nut torqued to the correct specification, it will remain fixed for many tens of thousands of miles.  If the bearings are kept properly greased, you may never have need to do this again.  If your dealer can't handle it, find another one or a good independent shop.

As for riding with your hands on the grips, yes that is usually a pretty good idea.  But riding without your hands on the grips at 35 mph is NOT the cause of the problem.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 11:41:34 PM »

When will they get this right???   >:

BADBAGG

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 O/B D& D Fat Cat , SE 259E Cams , High Compression Pistons , TTS Mastertune, Yaffe Monkeys bars , Yaffe Monkey engine guard , Kenwood DVD/CD radio 650 watts 7 speakers. C & C solo seat , Motorcycle Armor, Klock Werks 8" windsheild,30 tooth pulley
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 05:36:29 PM »

I had the same problem. Neck bearing adjustment fixed it. I also had HD tell me to keep my hands on the bars, my reply was "if they wanted me to keep my hands on the bars, why did the put cruise control on the bike ?? "

Just saying..........

digga25

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 serg
    • CVO2: 2010 sesg
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 06:43:51 PM »

Had the same problem with my 09.Went to the dealer and said I almost got into an accident because of this.They fixed it and have not had a problem since. Neck bearing loose.

jettjocky

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 0/B 09 SE Road Glide
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 12:24:21 PM »

Just my opinion for what is worth.  I received my 09 RG  in Aug. of 08 & now have 45K on the bike.

First the front tire has the tread pattern reversed from what Dunlop designed. (that's a whole other issue)  I've had everything checked & rechecked & still believe it is from the incorrect tire pattern on the front tire, which we are all aware causes the front tire to start cupping within 3K. Both HD & Dunlop are well aware of this situation & as such replaced BOTH my tires TWICE because of it,  HD ain't talking & neither is Dunlop, anyway my next set of tires will be Michelin. If it corrects this problem fine, ...... if not,  then we just move on.   
10.5 SE pistons, roller rocker arms, Headquarters  575 cams, SE push rods. 100 HP. 119 lbs. torque Progressive F/R

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 02:25:11 PM »

Since FrankieO has not posted here, I presume he had his steering head nut (that sounds bad) adjusted.  Report? 

Jettjockey,  I too had one of the early '09s and got mine in October, 2008.  I think that while the incorrect tread pattern on the D407 front tire did not help, that was not the cause of the wobble.  If you have now the D408 front, it should be better.  Here is the "Dunlop story." New SERG Front Tire " Warranty" Replacement

I got 17,000 miles out of my second set of tires with the D408 on the front with very little cupping.  Shortly after putting on my third set I installed the Progressive Monotube front suspension with Suspension Technologies rear shocks which I got from Jim at Metal Dragon.  1,000% better handling (Okay, maybe only 100%) and no evidence of cupping after several thousand miles.  My belief is that the HD suspension is antiquated and just can't stand up as the bikes have gotten heavier over the past few years.  JMHO!  I'll have more proof of this as time goes by. 

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Nitrobrother

• CVO1: 2009 SERG Yellow
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 06:35:25 PM »

I recently had my '09 SERG serviced in preparation for my Southeast Epic Adventure and Shark Week trip (you guys ARE going to Shark Week, right?), and the tech (at Rawhide HD in Olathe, KS) called me back to the service bay to report that my swing was really off the charts.  I never ride at low speeds with my hands off the bars, although I do a lot at highway speeds, and I've never experienced any wobble that I thought was concerning (every bike wobbles under certain circumstances, but until it's a tank-slapper, it's not a concern to me).  He reset it to specs, but it still feels the same as before to me!
Current:
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide - Yellow
Previous bikes:
2008 Street Glide - Black Pearl
2005 Softail Deluxe - Blue/White
2004 Road Glide - Smokey Gold
2003 Road Glide - Anniversary
(kids - 20+ bike-less years)
1981 Yamaha Seca 650 - what a great bike

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 11:56:38 PM »

Just had the neck bearing adjusted on my 09 and even with a front tire that shows a little cupping the low speed wobble is gone.
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 06:28:36 AM »

That's great to hear.   Better stay on top of that.  I had that happen to me on brand new sergu.  It scared the s$£t out of me.   Never forgot what that felt like at only 35 mph. When ot comes back, and most likely will, take it back for another adjustment.   :nixweiss:

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 06:37:39 AM »

My 2011 sergu did the same thing. I noticed it at 5300 miles,,,,,right after a dealer's 5k service. Took it to another dealer and they adjusted the neck bearings. I wonder how the first dealer didn't notice it on their "test ride" after the service. 2nd mechanic said that it was bad enough that it should have been felt earlier. I chalked it up to me not being familiar with the bike and not knowing any better until I started reading the threads on here. I'll give a big shout out to Freedom HD in N. Canton Ohio for taking care of it for me.  :2vrolijk_21: as for the first dealer that "missed" it on their test ride......let's just say that the general manager and I don't see eye to eye on what they call a service department. Won't be spending another dime with those guys. They're becoming the Walmart of HD franchises here in Ohio with three dealers so far. All big marketing (and mark up on their bikes) and crap for service.  >:(
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 06:41:40 AM »

I'm glad ou are all fixed.   Amazing how bad these " dealers" can be.   They get paid for what they do.. Why not take care of the customer so he comes back?   I'm not at all a very educated person, but I at least know that much.   :nixweiss:

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 25 queries.