Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil presure drops at idle, only 500 miles on new 2012 SEUC!  (Read 7871 times)

tomndarali

Oil presure drops at idle, only 500 miles on new 2012 SEUC!
« on: August 18, 2012, 11:13:04 PM »

I picked up my 2012 SEUC 3 weeks ago and I have 500 miles on it now.
Today I went for the first long ride and when I came to a stop the oil presure guage indicated very low oil presure and the engine started to knock and rattle like it was starving for oil!
I have read the forum here and know that the 110 can be a noisy motor, but this sounded like the motor was coming apart!
The oil presure seemed to be fine when I was riding, right at 32lbs, but it dropped at idle to just above 0lbs!
Any suggestions? I think I will be calling the dealer on Monday to see about getting it in the shop, I don't think this is normal.

Thanks

Tom

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Re: Oil presure drops at idle, only 500 miles on new 2012 SEUC!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 08:07:24 AM »

Should not go to zero. Stop riding and call the dealer.
Bill

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 08:15:33 AM »

when the oil gets hot,there will be a drop in oil pressure,but not to 0.have your dealer check it

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 09:45:55 AM »

Oil pressure on the late model bikes tends to run a little lower at idle than it did on the '99-'06 models, due to changes in the cam plate and tensioner systems as well as other things.  But if it is actually dropping below 5 psi at hot idle, and the gauge is actually accurate, then something isn't right.  Of course, if you have a typical dealer service department, you will be told it's "normal" and "they all do that".  I'd suggest if you get that kind of response that you refuse to accept it and escalate your complaint first to the dealer himself and then to Harley itself.

Don't assume the gauge is accurate btw, Harley gauges rarely are.  The dealer can use a T connector to install a real mechanics pressure gauge in parallel with the dash gauge to check it's accuracy.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Grey Ghost

• Full CVO Member
  • Fullsac "C" x-pipe, 2" baffles, TTS, Monotubes

• CVO1: 2003 Dyna Wide Glide (non CVO)
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 09:47:26 AM »

I have experienced the same set of circumstances. I am told it is normal as the Oil Press gauge is a piece if chit. I am also told that as long as the Oil Light doesn't come on you should be OK.
Someone once said that the key to happiness is a bad memory. For the life of me, I can't remember who said it!!

SERG3

• APPALACHIAN-AMERICAN
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SE ULTRA B/O
    • CVO2: 2009 SE ROAD GLIDE YELLOW
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 10:07:49 AM »

Had a problem on my RG would drop to 8-10 at idle 20-25 @2500, sending unit had a leak,replaced all is well

IF YOU GOING TO BE DUMB YOU GOT TO BE TUFF

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 10:30:42 AM »

I have experienced the same set of circumstances. I am told it is normal as the Oil Press gauge is a piece if chit. I am also told that as long as the Oil Light doesn't come on you should be OK.

When they told you all that stuff, did they offer to hook up a real certified mechanics gauge like I mentioned previously to determine the actual oil pressure?  Or did they just blow you off with what sounds to me like their variation of the "it's normal, they all do that" story?  I agree that Harley gauges aren't great, but they aren't all reading zero oil pressure at idle.  I would insist on them checking the gauge for accuracy, and if it isn't accurate they should fix it.  And the story about the oil pressure light is a real joke.  The oil pressure light doesn't come on until pressure is basically zero.

Btw, there have been a lot of reports of poorly machined pressure relief valves and bores in the camplates that contribute to this low pressure at idle problem.  Once the oil is up to operating temperature, the bypass system shouldn't bypass at idle, but many do because the valves don't seat properly.  And some piston cooling jets continue to dribble oil at idle, even though they aren't supposed to operate below roughly 15 psi.

It's much easier to blow folks off with BS than it is to check for such issues or even check pressures with a real gauge.  Harley tends to encourage the dealerships to call this crap normal, since it saves them money on warranty repairs.  It is not normal for a Twin Cam engine to idle at zero psi, I don't give a chit what any dealer tells you.  Shovels and even EVO's perhaps, but not a Twin Cam.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

tomndarali

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 10:53:46 AM »

Thanks for the opinions on this.
I will call the dealer tomorrow and see when I can get it in.
I believe that there is an oil problem be cause the engine is really knocking when I come to a stop and idle. I don't know much about V-twins, but I do know v8s, and when I hear a knock like this coming from a car motor I get concerned!

So tmorrow I will be taking it to the dealer to see if they stand behind their product!

Tom

hogasm

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 12:39:36 PM »

Gauges are not perfect....close but not perfect.

Dealer will more than likely tell you that this is normal.....after which for you to clear your head.....attach a more accurate digital or analog test gauge to your scoot and see where it is

sinktip

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 02:22:53 PM »

Once warm, mine drops to 4 psi. Zero is not normal.

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 05:42:20 PM »

insist they put a test gauge on it,the noise your hearing is the lifters not being pumped up.a car motor has a bushing type wet sump motor,no pressure for a couple seconds,and your screwed.HD engines are a dry sump,roller motor,lack of pressure (while not good on a new motor)isnt going to hurt instantly,but certainly not good if left ignored

hdctss

• Senior CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE, 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - both traded
    • CVO3: 2009 FLHTCUSE4, 2007 FLHTCUSE2 - both traded
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 07:52:25 AM »

if it is around 32 or so at 2000 rpm you should be ok...I did not start having issues until it was dropping off at high rpm...it was finally running around 16 psig at 2000 rpm and then the whole thing crapped out.  depending on the engine temp I have seen pretty low oil pressure at idle, but then once moving it comes back to around 32 at 2000.
2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary Odyssey Blue
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire with Dragontail Graphics (traded)
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Silver/Slate and Titanium (traded)
2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Blue (traded)
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red (traded)

FLY-DOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • U.S. Navy (30 years); Delta Air Lines (22 years)
    • FL

• CVO1: FLHXSE3
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 11:13:47 AM »

I picked up my 2012 SEUC 3 weeks ago and I have 500 miles on it now.
Today I went for the first long ride and when I came to a stop the oil presure guage indicated very low oil presure and the engine started to knock and rattle like it was starving for oil!
I have read the forum here and know that the 110 can be a noisy motor, but this sounded like the motor was coming apart!
The oil presure seemed to be fine when I was riding, right at 32lbs, but it dropped at idle to just above 0lbs!
Any suggestions? I think I will be calling the dealer on Monday to see about getting it in the shop, I don't think this is normal.

Thanks

Tom

Is your bikes idle set too low? 
Current Stable:
2021 BMW R1250 GSA Rallye
2016 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited w/392 Hemi
2012 CVO Street Glide
2007 Mustang GT500
2006 YZ250F

Grey Ghost

• Full CVO Member
  • Fullsac "C" x-pipe, 2" baffles, TTS, Monotubes

• CVO1: 2003 Dyna Wide Glide (non CVO)
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 11:51:58 AM »

As mentioned earlier, I have been experiencing the same problem . . . The Oil Pressure Gauge dropping to 0 at idle. In fact my gauge would drop like a rock under 1500 to 1800 RPM. It would kick back in once I revved to 2000 RPM or higher.

I mentioned this to the Service Writer this weekend when I took my bike in for the 1000 mile service and based on the advice of this thread, asked him to have the tech check the pressure with a real gauge. Turns out the gauge on the bike was reading pretty well and the problem turned out to be the sending unit. They swapped out the sending unit and rechecked with the shop gauge and it turns out the bikes gauge is pretty close and the oil pressure no longer drops to 0 at idle.

This may not be the case in every instance, but sure is something to look at.

Grey Ghost
Someone once said that the key to happiness is a bad memory. For the life of me, I can't remember who said it!!

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 07:44:19 PM »

tomndarali, just wondering if you revved your engine up in neutral did the noises go away and the oil pressure gauge go back up, or did the noises go away and the oil pressure gauge stay near 0? If the noises went away then you probably have a bad gauge. Another thing to think about is the possibility of a loose primary chain,or bad compensator sprocket  I know that is a little off base from your post, but it is something to think about.  I wish HD would have left well enough alone. It was no big deal to adjust a primary chain. Auto adjust primary chains are just another thing we don't need that could cause problems when you least expect it.JMHO CAHDBIKER
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 07:51:22 PM by cahdbiker »

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 25 queries.