Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HD vs Heat Demons  (Read 1844 times)

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTCUTGSE - Sunset Orange &amp Sunset Black
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Silver Surfer - 2013 FLHRSE5 Crushed Saphire
HD vs Heat Demons
« on: July 21, 2012, 10:40:45 AM »

Getting ready to have the bars swapped out on my 09 SERG,  Going with the WO575's.  And since my scoot came stock without heated grips I'm installing them now when the bars are changed.  I'd love to keep the look of the stock grips... Anyone know if HD makes that style of heated grip..?

Compared to Heat Demons is there a huge difference in performance..?  My '10 Limited has heated grips and they work pretty good for me.  Just weighing my options. Price wise they seem comparable.

If running with heated grips from Heat Demon, pics.?

Finster101

• Full CVO Member
Re: HD vs Heat Demons
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 03:52:52 PM »

I used the Heat Demons for my 08 RG.  Put them in for an Alaska trip.  They worked very well and still work very well, but I don't use them much in FLA.  Mine are a little over three years old.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 03:56:32 PM »

With the heat demons, there's not much to see. You can use most any grip. All you see is the controller, and that's got a few pics on the Heat Demon's website.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 04:21:21 PM »

I am pretty sure to put them on a CVO you will have to ream the bars out on the inside for the Heat demons. I have done it before, not bad if you have a sharp reamer. If not it's a chore. Hd Heated grips are easier to install in my opinion.
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 04:23:56 PM »

I just re-read your post.....I see you are swapping out the stock bars. This might eliminate the reaming issue.
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 04:26:49 PM »

I just re-read your post.....I see you are swapping out the stock bars. This might eliminate the reaming issue.

I seem to remember a post or two about SOME of the 575s needing to be reamed out too.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 05:02:57 PM »

A couple of quick things.  I recently swapped from the HD Heated Grips to the Heat Demons when I swapped to the HD Pull Back bars.

Regarding performance, the Heat Demons do not get as quite as hot, but based on the reports, and the dismal life I saw on my 3 sets of HD's, I fully suspect the Heat Demans will last much longer.  The reason the Heat Demons aren't as hot is the grid is rolled up inside the bars, where the HD grid is inside the grip itself. Not that there's a big difference but the stockers could get hot enough that they were uncomfortable to hold with bare hands, whereas the Heat Demons don't get quite that hot. That very well might be the primary reason why the Harley's grips burn out so often?

Anyway, regarding the install, be VERY careful with the wires attached to the grid, especially when fishing the internal harnesses. It is very easy to pull these wires off the solder joints if the harness fishing snags. Just watch it closely.

Lastly, after an indepth discussion with the folks at Heat Demons regarding this reaming matter, they suggested AGAINST this!  The grids are flexible and plenty capable of fitting bars a bit below .875".  If close, don't bother reaming.  To confirm the need, just make sure the grid doesn't overlap itself when inserting. If it doesn't, you're good to go.  Call them and confirm this.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 05:09:22 PM »

When I bought Ruby, I had HD grips added to the deal...so they would have the full warranty. But, the PITA of having to get them fixed / replaced made me change my mind.

The people at Steve Drane have told me of the MOCO's 'fix' for the grips. You have to turn them off when you turn the bike off because they draw too much when starting. Regardless of whether this will 'fix' the problem or not, I'm still opting for the Heat Demons as they have a nice controller and need to be turned on each time after the bike is started.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 10:06:19 AM »

I like the Heat Demons switch with the little lights much better than the twist knob on the Harley ones as well.

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 10:43:09 AM »

I may jinx myself, but I have had three sets of HD grips of my own and yet had a set quit.......I guess I'm just lucky in that department or due for a set to fail.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 12:00:29 PM »

I may jinx myself, but I have had three sets of HD grips of my own and yet had a set quit.......I guess I'm just lucky in that department or due for a set to fail.

While I jumped ship to the Heat Demons before I tested this theory, but I bet if you kept the stock Harley's at say 4 and below, I think they'd last a long time. I think somewhere between 4 and 5 on the Harleys would just about put out the same heat as the 4 (top) setting on the Heat Demons. I think at least the older version of the Harleys just got to hot and would burn up after a period of time. Keep then set lower and they might actually last. I dunno...
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 01:31:19 PM »

I put on a set of WO575's two weeks ago.  I bought a set of heat demons to install at the same time.  Some on here said that they would fit and some said that they wouldn't.  They definitely will not fit unless you ream out the right bar.  They said that you only need to ream them out half the thickness of a dime.  I looked at how thick the bars are in that area and decided against the process.  I had pictures in my mind of hitting a pot hole and ending up with only one hand on the wheel and no throttle.  I guess I'll just go with heated gloves!! 

Heat Demon's for sale:  $100.00 shipped

660-254-8400
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 02:27:07 PM »

I put on a set of WO575's two weeks ago.  I bought a set of heat demons to install at the same time.  Some on here said that they would fit and some said that they wouldn't.  They definitely will not fit unless you ream out the right bar.  They said that you only need to ream them out half the thickness of a dime.  I looked at how thick the bars are in that area and decided against the process.  I had pictures in my mind of hitting a pot hole and ending up with only one hand on the wheel and no throttle.  I guess I'll just go with heated gloves!! 

Heat Demon's for sale:  $100.00 shipped

660-254-8400
Throttle or clutch side controller?

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 03:43:43 PM »

Clutch side controller in chrome.
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 10:11:20 PM »

Clutch side controller in chrome.
Darn...need throttle side....GPS is going on the clutch side.......or might be using the CVO Convertible windshield mount...thinkin' 'bout it.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 10:33:44 PM by dayne66 »

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 25 queries.