Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Camera stuff - ever wonder what a SLR mirror and shutter look like filmed at ...  (Read 4924 times)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II

Here is a neat video of a SLR filmed in slow motion at 10,000 FPS. Pretty cool. Learned a thing here as well with how a picture can have objects tilted when it is actually vertical, or how a shadow can arrive before an object.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 10:22:01 AM by porthole »
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?

Thanks for sharing this one.  That explains a thing or two for me.

:2vrolijk_21:

OhioDave

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark

Interesting video Porthole... I'm certainly familiar with DSLR shutter function, but seeing this demonstrated in slow motion was fairly amazing.  :2vrolijk_21:

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8

Interesting video, thanks for sharing.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II

Interesting video Porthole... I'm certainly familiar with DSLR shutter function, but seeing this demonstrated in slow motion was fairly amazing.  :2vrolijk_21:

I found the cork & shadow interesting.
Seeing the mirror lock up and shutter in slow mo makes it look like a violent action.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8

Fascinating and I learned a lot.

But I was preoccupied all the way through with all the graffiti all over his camera body.  Sure glad he explained it at the end.  Just kind of goes to show that these cameras really are more durable than one might first think.  I know my Nikon DSLR has sure taken a beating.  Hell, I rode with it around my neck at freeway speeds for a couple of years before Jock mentioned a hood or a lens filter.  It's been dropped, banged around, rattle around inside the tour pack and still takes great pics the few times I get really lucky.

Thanks again, to Jock and a few others that I've met on this forum and now Porthole for sharing their wisdom and knowledge that they've shared with me on this topic.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• A Shot in the Dark

Hell, I rode with it around my neck at freeway speeds for a couple of years before Jock mentioned a hood or a lens filter.

I've done a lot of things to and with my Canon bodies JC including being in swamps, ocean waters and banging them on ledge and rocks as I crawled around, but I never considered trying to ride with one ready to shoot. Professional bodies aren't small or light but they are rugged. I'll have to think about this a bit more for the upcoming riding season. I can tell you with certainly DSLR's and lenses won't survive immersion in sea water as I learned first hand - lol...

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8

I've done a lot of things to and with my Canon bodies JC including being in swamps, ocean waters and banging them on ledge and rocks as I crawled around, but I never considered trying to ride with one ready to shoot. Professional bodies aren't small or light but they are rugged. I'll have to think about this a bit more for the upcoming riding season. I can tell you with certainly DSLR's and lenses won't survive immersion in sea water as I learned first hand - lol...

Just a suggestion (since you're one of the members here that has shared your photography skills with me).....get some microfiber sleeves made for your camera strap.  I quickly learned that at the end of a long day a camera strap can start to feel like 60 grit sand paper on the back of your neck.  I carry a couple of them with me in the summer as they get dirty fast when you're sweating.

I just bought the softest microfiber I could find at a fabric store then went to an alteration shop and had them sewn to create the removable, washable sleeves.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• A Shot in the Dark

get some microfiber sleeves made for your camera strap

That's an excellent tip JC and appreciated. However, I never use a strap around my neck although on the scoot this may be advisable or even necessary. My cameras are set up with over the shoulder straps with dovetails that connect to a body frame. When in use the camera/lens is at my side or I can place it behind me to keep it from banging in woods or rough terrain. I use the same dovetail system on tripods, gimbal mounts and longer lenses that have tripod collars. I've been impressed with your shots from the road - don't think I haven't noticed...  :2vrolijk_21:

After seeing the video porthole posted it makes one realize what a precision instrument our cameras are.

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue

That was Good !!!
DND

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC

Did you notice how much the mirror shook when going up.  Now I understand why they suggest moving the mirror up in long duration tripod exposures.  The shake will ruin your image
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 FLHTCUSE5, FullSac Xpipe, 2",TTS, 8 speaker HogTunes!
    • CVO2: WO's Chubby 578, Road Tech Zumo 660

Great Clip...Thank you
I was so much Older then....I am younger than that Now.

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 25 queries.