Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best way to aim headlights??  (Read 738 times)

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
Best way to aim headlights??
« on: August 20, 2012, 12:52:14 AM »

I upgraded to HID lights on my 09 SERG a while back. Thought I had them aimed properly but on a recent ride with some buddies everyone told be they weren't very bright. Putting them on Hi Beam helped but I obviously need an adjustment  Any Advice??

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
Re: Best way to aim headlights??
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 01:40:24 AM »

That's surprising. I have mine cranked down about as low as they'll go and I still regularly get flashed. Maybe they are set too high?

I'd follow the headlight aiming instructions in the book and then adjust them a bit lower.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Best way to aim headlights??
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 08:20:48 AM »

Do you have a nice level surface with a vertical wall or garage door at the end of it?  If you do, aiming is as simple as marking a line on the surface perpendicular to the wall or door and measuring out 25 feet, park the bike with both tires on the line and the headlight at the 25 foot mark.  With an assistant sitting on and holding the bike upright and level, measure the height from the ground to the centerline of the headlight and spots.  Mark that height on the door or wall with easily visible tape.  The high beam should be centered on that horizontal line and straight ahead of the bike with the rider on the seat.  The top edge of the low beam should just touch the bottom edge of the line. 

On the little diagram I've attached I've drawn the spot alignment the way I set mine, not the way Harley sets them way off to the right aiming at the ditch.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 25 queries.