Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Want more out of 09' SERG. The dealer says......  (Read 2139 times)

MWalton

• Junior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
Want more out of 09' SERG. The dealer says......
« on: October 24, 2012, 06:32:18 PM »

I've been a member of this forum for years, but still don't own my own CVO bike. When I do it'll probably be an 09' SERG, just like the one my good friend has. In the mean time, I'll have to settle for ridin' beside him and the odd test ride.
He bought it new, added Vance and Hines dresser duals, basic slip-on and a Screamin' Eagle Heavy Breather and has been happily cruising for three years.
Now he wants more oumph, so he asked the dealer service dept. guy for an opinion.
This is what was suggested.

"seeing as you have a 110 how about boosting the compression top 10.5 -1 ( with new high perf pistons) and a set of cams and an a bigger throttle body and make that 110 CI breathe a little better and add some extra grunt….."

Now bearing in mind that 91 octane is generally the norm at the pumps around here, I'm not thinkin' raising the compression that much is a very good idea. Additionally the larger throttle body may not be the way to go, and HD cams aren't always the best.
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Want more out of 09' SERG. The dealer says......
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 11:31:51 AM »

I've been a member of this forum for years, but still don't own my own CVO bike. When I do it'll probably be an 09' SERG, just like the one my good friend has. In the mean time, I'll have to settle for ridin' beside him and the odd test ride.
He bought it new, added Vance and Hines dresser duals, basic slip-on and a Screamin' Eagle Heavy Breather and has been happily cruising for three years.
Now he wants more oumph, so he asked the dealer service dept. guy for an opinion.
This is what was suggested.

"seeing as you have a 110 how about boosting the compression top 10.5 -1 ( with new high perf pistons) and a set of cams and an a bigger throttle body and make that 110 CI breathe a little better and add some extra grunt….."

Now bearing in mind that 91 octane is generally the norm at the pumps around here, I'm not thinkin' raising the compression that much is a very good idea. Additionally the larger throttle body may not be the way to go, and HD cams aren't always the best.
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

You say he has slip-on's and heavy breather, but I would also think he has a tuner of some sort.  If not on the tuner, he'll need one and I recommend TTS Mastertune.  I bought my setup from Fulsac, but I think there are other options for them now as well.  It's just that Fulsac has a dyno and will also offer canned maps for specific applications that he has worked out in the past.

That being said, his dealer has pretty much said what lots of other here have done with great success.  I will not go into specific brands etc, but most are bumping the compression up a bit, but usually by "only" changing out the head gaskets, not pistons.

Based on what's been done and reviewed on this site, a cam upgrade with other stage I improvements, exhaust & tuner, should be enough to get him a seat of the pants increase.  If they did the compression, it will be a bit better.  But I'm not sure at what point the larger throttle body diameter increase makes a noticeable improvement for the money invested.  Although with fuel injection, having a larger throttle body, within reason, is not as big of a negative as in the old days with running a larger than needed carb.

If it were me, I would go with the cam and probably the head gaskets, but not the larger throttle body.  Then have a good tuner set it up for him to top it off.

I have a '09 SERG with 2" Fulsac baffles and the TTS master tune with Fulsac's canned map.  I have no desire right now for more umph.  The only upgrade I might do is to do a drive ratio change, either EVO Industries primary 46 tooth basket to a 49 tooth setup, or install a 30 tooth trans drive sprocket, which I already have but not used.  Most with the 30t sprocket change say that it's almost like a stage II upgrade with the 8% or so lower gearing.

The choice is your buddy's.  But the dealership is not off base much about the compression, but probably gaskets versus the pistons.

That's my 2 cents for the day.

Thanks...
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 25 queries.