Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Screaming Yellow Pearl Paint  (Read 3814 times)

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
Screaming Yellow Pearl Paint
« on: July 24, 2012, 06:05:11 PM »

Hi Guys,
 I bought #93931 FXR4 Screaming Yellow Pearl touch up paint. It has two 1/2 oz. Bottles. #35H004 FXR4 Screaming Yellow Pearl Base Coat, that is yellow.
The other bottle #35H017 FXR4 Screaming Yellow Pearl Topcoat. It appears to be silver in color. Probabaly a clear with the metalic finnish that puts the sparkles in it.
Is there any way to buy a 1/2 pint of the two? At 35 bucks for the two it would be expensive to get enough to paint a Fender. Does any one have the part number of the two paints? Or have any half pints of each that they would be willing to sell? Or an alternative that is close enough to be acceplabe. When I put a FatBob Flip rear fender on my bike a local shop said they could match it. Yea it was yellow but not close. At $200 bucks for one fender one color that was new ready to be painted, I was pretty mad. I paid them and I installed it, but it still agrivates me. If my front fender turns out to be another color I will be even more mad. Say Pissed-Off. If I can get a 1/2 pint of the two items I can repaint the rear fender and paint the new front fender.I don't want a three color Yellow bike. Any Suggestions???
Thanks,
Ltank

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
Re: Screaming Yellow Pearl Paint
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 08:05:24 PM »

my understanding is you cannot buy the paint for cvo. codes are locked up in a nasty dungeon guarded by a giant dragon, or maybe its an ogre! most that match i think mix and experiment til they match. big fattys paint by gene told me that story. never seen the dragon or the ogre,never seen the paint either so some parts of this story must be true. i gave up on the paint quest and bought painted parts from moco. :nixweiss:

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 09:04:20 PM »

Ok Thanks for the Info. The new parts and paint jobs for all new is too rich for me. Do you know if it is laquer or enamel?  If I buy two more kits of the two paints 1/2 each will do the trick? That would give me 1 1/2 oz of the base and clear/flake. I can buy a cheap air brush and and paint it myself or give it to someone that can do it.
How much paint is required for a front fender for a 19" wheel? 1 1/2 oz enough?? With three kits 1/2 oz each of the pearl and top coat maybe it can be done. Harley sells other pearl yellows I wonder how close they are to mine? HUMMM!!!!!
Thanks,
Ltank

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 04:36:23 PM »

Ltank,

I ran into this discussion several years back when I decided to put a 19" wheel on to my FXR2, there is a difference between a FXR2 Front Fender and a FXR3 & FXR4 fender, at the time I was trying to figure out the difference, all I knew was they were different.  Upon doing visual research it was determined that the only difference was the location of where they put the bracket to attach it to the forks, it's amazing how when you change that location you change the entire look of the fender, if you study an OEM FXR2 bike from the front you can see the difference of how the fenders set on the forks...it's simply the rotational axis of how the bracket mates with the fender and is welded at that particular spot, makes the fender actually look wider instead of narrower as it does on the FXR2.

Ok so you are thinking what does this have to do with my yellow pearl paint issue....well I am getting to that, once I determined that I wanted to go with the 19" wheel like what's on a FXR3 or FXR4 all be it that both the FXR3 has a thunderstar chrome wheel and the wheel on your FXR4 is a 1" axle wheel even though it was spoke, I decided to go with a 40 spoke OEM HD 19" wheel that was 3/4" axle and would slip right into position.  

Once I determined this, I decided the appearance of the FXR3 or FXR4 fender had more appeal to me.  SO I found a brand new "primed only" FXR3 fender. Now we are getting to your issue.

Once I found that fender now I needed to paint it....and that's the problem, HD does not offer the paint code for these CVO bikes....they want no one to "easily" go out and reproduce them....that's all fine and good until you as an OWNER of one needs to paint one....doesn't make any difference to them they just don't give you the paint code.

So what's your solution, same solution I used, I went to a painter of choice that I enjoy working with, gave him my 1999 OEM Front FXR2 Fender and said here, I want an exact match on this 1999 FXR3 primed Fender....it took him 15 or 20 tries until he realized that the base color was "GOLD" instead of "SILVER" and that whenever he was mixing the colors and putting on the paint it would come across too "pink", when he moved away from the "Silver" base and went to a "GOLD" base he instantly found the exact match.....Soooooo

What does all of this mean, it means if you take your front fender with your sample and tell your painter you want an exact match, with enough effort and determination they will get to the right color....just like my painter did, thus don't worry about the color they can figure it out, the dilemma for all of us is the attempts at figuring the decals or in your case the tribal graphics on your front fender....or your gas tank, for me it's the matching of the "harley Davidson HARLEY~DAVIDSON print on my gas tank and it being a hologram look to it....that would be the difficult part for sure.....

So if you want to paint your yellow fender, take it to a good or great automative or motorcycle painter....as I said my painter took 15-20 runs at it before he got it right, infact he called me in one time to look at one of his efforts and I said, nope wasn't it, keep trying...and try he did....and he got a perfect match....you can get to the same point....plus my guy was very reasonable $75.00 for painting that fender and it took him several weeks....now if I need something painted for my FXR2 (except for the gas tank) he knows the color code and how to paint it all to match much quicker.....and I am telling you he exactly matched it perfectly.....now if he could ONLY match the hologram Harley~Davidson I would have a very inexpensive back up plan if anything ever happened.....

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 04:42:53 PM by FXR2evo99 »

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 05:47:57 PM »

Hi Tim,
 When you said it was a 1" axle it put a scare in me because I ordered parts to use a 3/4" axle. When I ordered my trees / axle and dual rotor spacers.
I checked my FXR4 parts manuel it shows the axle as p/n 43895-00 and the hub as p/n 43629-00. When I do a search on either items it confirms what my mechanic tells me that it is 3/4" axle and hub that has sealed bearings. I gave the stock axle and hub part numbers to Custom Cycle Enginerring when they made my axle and rotor spacers and they too are for 3/4" axle. Short of me removing my axle and measuring it my self I think they are correct. I did not measure the axle or hub myself. I went by the part numbers. I don't know what models used what hub/axle/bearing sizes but Harley has used 3/4", 1" and 25mm. So it can get confusing. I try to be correct when specing out my parts that are custom ordered because there are no refunds!
   I was able to solve my fender issue!! I will not have to paint a new fender. My rear fender still don't quite match but I can live with it for now. CCE makes a bracket/spacer combo that allows me to use my stock front Fender for my 19" wheel on the 49mm front end. I should have done this prior to the headache try to go the other route. Their site shows the bracket but not what it looks like on the front end or bike. it was $84 bucks. I hope ti looks good when all together on the bike. We shalll see! Cheaper than a unpainted Dyna front fender. Problem was the FXDWG was wide but for a 21" tire too big, the FXDF was for a 16" too small and the FXD was for the 19" wheel but the fender bracket was too narrow and it would need spacers.  The bracket I ordered was actually the least expensive route to take. I will post picks when she is all done. My Wife will be happy that I will stop spending so much on the bike. She is Jealous!!!
Thanks,
Ltank

Photorider

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »

Yes I think its 3/4". My 2000 FXDX is 3/4 axles and didn't go to 1" until 2004.

Interesting on the paint. I had a 2008 CVO 105th Springer and I bought the paint from the dealer. They ordered it for me. Course they sold me the bike so they new you owned it. However, I didn't get the color codes...

Normally, to buy new tins in CVO colors requires you to trade in the old ones. Especially on anniversary models. This is what happened to me. 

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 25 queries.