Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: handle bars for the vertically challenged  (Read 1461 times)

glodigger

handle bars for the vertically challenged
« on: March 13, 2013, 02:09:51 AM »

Been lurking in the background and bought a 2011 after reading all your posts[Yes took awhile] but find this bike doesn't fit us very well after getting it..
1st. The handle bars  anyone change to say 16 '' with more pull back . .
2nd The seat; it came with a Corbin dual tour and two back rest which the wife's not crazy about.
Sold the 2009 ultra W/60,000 because old 28" legs just couldn't keep me and the old girl upright
any and all help sorry for the long post thank you

Wife011CVO

Re: handle bars for the vertically challenged
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 08:05:41 AM »

Hey Glodigger,

wife has not done anything with her bars., her bike is mostly stock.  However if you are interested in selling your handlebars after you get something different,  I would be interested in buying them.  I have been trying to find something close to the convertible bar's for while. 

I will pm you with info.

good luck on your search.

slmetcalftx

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 08:37:54 PM »

Glodigger,

I have a 2012 Convertible and the Z bar just wasn't a good fit at all. I replaced it with a 6" riser and the fatboy handlebars and LOVE the change. I don't know what kind of bars the 2011 has, but I like having my wrists flat. I now have the bend in my elbow and lots of room to make turns in comfort. I'm only 5'6", and love the Convertible from a bend in the knee perspective.

Unfortunately having ridden on the UltraClassic, it may be a challenge to find a good seat for the Convertible that your wife will like. Going from a touring bike seat to a soft tail seat is a big change. You might check with Sundowner though. When we had the fatboy we put a Sundowner on it because at the time they had the most comfortable back seat set up. I've not really been a passenger for the past 6 years and now he has a UC CVO and it's got the nicer hammock seat so I'm not sure what's out there from the soft tail perspective.

Hope this helps!
Sherry
"Tex"

glodigger

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 02:58:53 AM »

Thanks for the lnfo the 2011 has the z bar as 2012  so a new set is in order it seems.where were you able to find longer wires/hydro lines and lengths.my dealer say N/A
being 5' 7" the stock seat is at the right hight for me where the Corbin's a bit too high.
Looking now at the mustang seat for the long haul Calif to Washington D.C veterans Run for the Wall in May  then match the bars to seat .Like you I prefer a wider st ants and wrists angle.

In preparing for this trip have installed fork mount wind deflectors /engine guard/ With the new soft lowers.the change in the wind dynamics is substandual
I'm awaiting the arrival of a clearveiw wind screen one member here had them produce.

Iv made a 24'' sissy bar mounted to Air wing luggage rack hope can get chromed before time to leave.
Again thanks for all the help.

slmetcalftx

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 10:27:22 PM »

Glodigger,

I'll get some pics of the bike with the fatboy handle bars so you can see how it looks. Just as an FYI, I'm more about comfort than looks, so other people might not care for the change.

When Craig (hubby) did my handlebars, he had to splice the wires. He then put in plugs so that if he has to do other work he can just unplug them and they are done (he's an electrical engineer so knows about the colors on the wires, etc.). We did not have to extend any of the cables, but he said we may have had to do so if he didn't do the conversion. If you want more details, let me know and I'll see if he can help me get pictures, but can't do it until we replace the headlight assembly (because of the location). I might be able to get him to write out some details for me that I can get to you.

As far as seats, I prefer the mustang seats as well, but love the stock seat with the brown leather. I might go with another mustang seat, but would definitely have it re-upholstered, because the brown leather really stands out.

Good luck on the run and assuming you are military, may I say thank you for your service, whether it be past or present.

Sherry
"Tex"

glodigger

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 12:14:14 AM »

enlarging you signer picture to see your bars I think like it ! like you I just want it to be a good fit. looking forward to any photos.
Contacted mustang today and a Sue said they don't make a seat to fit the convertable and directed me to a seat guy who could modify a seat .made by them????? so nobody put a mustang seat on one of the appox 5000 or so bikes made . strange
 Any one know what other fits like a flstfb seat.?

slmetcalftx

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 11:52:13 PM »

Here's a picture of the handlebars. My profile picture has the stock handlebars on them. Hope this helps!
Sherry
"Tex"

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 21 queries.