Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: GPS Hardwire  (Read 997 times)

bmcgc

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 105th FXDSE2 traded for a Road King Classic
    • CVO2: 2006 FLHTCUSE
GPS Hardwire
« on: September 10, 2012, 09:29:23 AM »

Im pulling the outter fairing to tap into power for my gps hardwire, Im also installing the harness that allows my passing lamps to stay on with highbeams.

Anything else I should/need to do while I have the outter off?

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
Re: GPS Hardwire
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 05:22:53 PM »

Install your EZPass, wire tied on top the radio. 

Move your XM antenna closer to the front of the fairing to avoid reception loss when blocked by the chrome trim.
Spada84
NoSofa!

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 06:26:22 PM »

Move the sensor for the temperature gauge outside of the fairing so it becomes usefull.  There is just enough wire on the 09 & up that you can un-tie wrap it, move it down & our, placke ir right next to the inside of the R turn signal bracket.

Now it will actualy read accurate temperatures as it will be in the wind down there
Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

bmcgc

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 105th FXDSE2 traded for a Road King Classic
    • CVO2: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 01:13:13 PM »

I installed the POS harness I bought off ebay.  The wires are so small I had to solder them to the connectors.  Got all done and discovered that the plug is so crappy that any vibration makes it fall out of the GPS.  Thats not going to work on a Harley.

Went to plan B.

I had a marine type power outlet from some long forgotten project and a leftover power cord for a Verizon phone that has the proper plug for my Garmin.

I plugged the power outlet into the spade connectors on the headlight harness, when I fed the harness back, it placed the outlet in the perfect spot under the left side of the fairing.

I can now put the power cord in or remove it when not in use, I only occassionaly use the GPS anway.

The harness for the passing lamps was a PITA, I almost destroyed the factory plug getting it apart.  The lock released but the 2 halves would not come apart.

Im ditching the air gauge and putting in an oil temp.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 01:15:38 PM by bmcgc »

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 02:01:23 PM »

Install your EZPass, wire tied on top the radio. 

Didn't know that'd work, never any problems? Next time I have fairing off I'll have to put it in there, thanks

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 10:37:53 PM »

In California we have Fastrack, probably the same thing, I have mine velcro'd to the lid on the inside of the saddlebag. I have never had any problem except on a hot day the velcro adhesive melting off. Next time I am in the fairing I think my Fastrack is going there.

Good idea!!

Tuneso

• Full CVO Member
  • 2012 SERG
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 01:16:01 PM »

A problem I experienced was my aftermarket power cable for my GPS was not shielded sufficiently to prevent RF interference with my power antenna. I'm not sure if you're using your stock antenna or not, but certainly worth checking out before you button it all up

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 25 queries.