Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Back to the shop  (Read 2828 times)

Kingsalmon

• Senior CVO Member
  • HD gets too much of my money
Back to the shop
« on: March 18, 2004, 10:06:42 AM »

My engine light comes on when I romp on the throttle, all gauges read same as usual. Sometimes the light goes out after a few minutes and sometimes it stays on. Any ideas on what it could be? I'm dropping it off at the shop tonight.

Bike seems to run a little hotter than my Ultra. If I ride for 1/2 hour and check the oil the oil cap is so hot I need a rag.

any ideas ?

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Back to the shop
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 04:42:38 PM »

My engine light comes on when I romp on the throttle, all gauges read same as usual. Sometimes the light goes out after a few minutes and sometimes it stays on. Any ideas on what it could be? I'm dropping it off at the shop tonight.

Bike seems to run a little hotter than my Ultra. If I ride for 1/2 hour and check the oil the oil cap is so hot I need a rag.

any ideas ?

I know exactly what the problem is.......you didn't post pics of your Corbin seat!

Seriously, I doubt it's anything serious.  As for your oil bag......you're running somewhere around 220 or 230 around here (northern Calif.) this week, due to the record high temps.  Your dip stick is definatley going to be hot, if you're trying to check it, right after turning your bike off......after you've been riding for awhile.

A few more weeks and you'll be able to get the Roger McEwan in dash oil temp guage.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Kingsalmon

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 04:49:51 PM »

I called Vallejo HD and they told me not to worry, I may have lost a setting in the computer. Or something like that. Bring it in and they can fix while I am there. (Hopefully)

I took some picks and they turned out bad because it was getting dark and the reflectors on the saddle bags glowed really bad. I promise to get some new ones out ASAP.

Black_Dog

• Full CVO Member
  • CVO Forum Member #157
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 05:56:03 PM »

If everything is normal the computer will clear the code, "no light", after 20 starts.

Black Dog
2004 FLHTCSE

rugbyprop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2004, 10:41:37 PM »

Had a college girl stop here a couple of nights ago, she was a friend of my sons. She had a similiar problem on her car that was making her mad, she just put a piece of tape over the light so it would stop bothering her. Just thought I would share that, it amused me, even though it's not much help for ya, might give ya something to smile about! [smiley=laugh.gif]

Kingsalmon

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2004, 11:23:41 AM »

I think your on to something there, If I can find some chrome tape, its a done deal.

I'll go out and start my bike 20 times first. That sounds weird enough to work.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2004, 04:55:55 PM »

I think your on to something there, If I can find some chrome tape, its a done deal.

I'll go out and start my bike 20 times first. That sounds weird enough to work.

Where did you end up with this??
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Bikrtrsh

• Junior CVO Member
  • Never thought I'd be on a bagger!
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2004, 07:18:03 PM »

Yeah .... ya know, maybe it's just me but I've started mine right at 20 times now and the stereo started working better. Hasn't screwed up but a couple of times in the last 2 days! Just coincidense?

As far as Kingsalmon's bike running hot, I do have a fix for that. Hey KS, come on over here to Missouri and ride! It's kinda nice when you stop and feel that soothing warmth drifting up from between yer knees!!! LOL!

Mark

Kingsalmon

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2004, 04:01:18 PM »

You guys are killing me.

Don't use PLATINUM PLUGS on the SEEG

Ok here is what I found out.
I have a friend that owns a shop in town and he does my service on my bikes. I bought everything I needed from Fremont HD, oil, gaskets, o rings, SPARK PLUGS.

I took the bike in to Vallejo HD and they found the wrong spark plugs in it . The guy told me not to use platinum plugs. That is what Fremont HD sold me. Not only was the engine light coming on but it ran a little rough at low RPM. I just figured it was normal after looking at the air/fuel reading on my dyno sheet at low RPM.      I was wrong.

Speaking of warmth coming up from the bike, I was out ridin with the girlfriend about 10:30 the other night and turned on the heater on my Corbin seat. I will get a lot more use out of this than I thought. I know it sounds like I'm some kind of wuss but this is the best thing since chaps.

starvin

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2004, 04:10:28 PM »

any ideas ?

If you have the race tuner hook your bike up to your computer it will tell you why and how often your engine light comes on, it will also let you reset it.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2004, 08:30:13 AM »

Guess I'm going to have to print the manual for the race tuner I did'nt know it could be used to reset an engine code, thanks for the tip.   [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE Black and Blue
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2004, 03:07:23 PM »

Where did you end up with this??

I was told this too...if there is a problem, the light will keep reminding you...but after the bike starts 20 times and has no further problems, the computer treats it as a glitch reading and resets itself.

Dave

• Junior CVO Member
  • Head out on the highway, lookin for adventure.....
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2004, 04:55:39 PM »

Thanks for that post about the plugs!  You are right on the money!  I called HD and they told me not to run anything but standard HD plugs in the 103 motors.  I changed back to regular plugs and no more engine light!

Dave
dkm

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2004  SE-103          ROAD KING CLASSIC
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2004, 01:27:28 PM »

the code actually resets after 50 starts.
or you can disconect the battery for about an hour.

2004 flhrci se-103 pearl white
bassani true duals w/ho mufflers
se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers
2008 lincoln mark lt(silver)

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 25 queries.