Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Air shocks  (Read 3326 times)

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Air shocks
« on: September 12, 2012, 12:42:02 PM »

Is it normal for the shocks to loos air and if so what is normal.
Bill

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Re: Air shocks
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 12:46:18 PM »

I have had two H-D with factory air shocks, they both lost air but it depended on the load and sometimes temperature changes as to how fast they leaked down. I got in the habit of carrying the pump with me and checking each day.
On my 2009 I decided to get a good set of shocks from Metal Dragon made by Suspension Technologies USA. Best decision I have ever made and will never settle for H-D air shocks again!

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 12:50:33 PM »

What's the cost? I only keep my bike for two years and trade with 50,000.
Bill

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 12:52:45 PM »

There is a difference between "normal" relative to the standards of Mother Harley's QC on the one hand and what should be expected on the other. 

It is entirely "normal" for the stock air shocks to leak down.  In many cases relatively quickly.  Since it's what we get used to and what the dealers preach to us is normal it is what we come to expect and choose to live with.  It is not, however, the standard we should expect.

A primary safety component like rear suspension that requires us to pull a saddlebag and carry a cheap assed little hand held air pump to keep that primary safety component in even it's minimal operating capacity is asinine.  It is, however, what we accept.  If you're willing to accept that spend more money with Harley and buy their branded pump too.  If not lose the shock and buy something that's actually good from anyone but Harley.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 12:57:12 PM »

Take a look at this thread :

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=76154.0

I think they were around $450 and you get them built for your weight and riding style. You also choose what style you want, all chrome, all black, black with chrome or chrome with black.

Great service and questions answered. Shocks arrived in just a couple of days from Florida and they are American made.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 12:42:25 PM »

Put the stock ones back on before you sell/trade and put the aftermarket ones on the new bike.  I've just about worn out several items that I've moved from bike to bike over the years, lol. :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

jaymedic44

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO limited silver/ autumn

• CVO1: 2009 Cvo ultra
    • CVO2: 2006 cvo ultra
    • CVO3: 2014 CVO limited
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 06:49:55 PM »

Stock air shocks are junk. I switched to legend air on mine and love them!
2014 CVO limited silver/autumn
2009 Cvo ULTRA 21 inch Pm wheels legend air ride progressive monotubs Fulsac exhaust
2006 Cvo ULTRA Autum Haze
2005 Heritage Softail World of wheels show bike
2004 Ultra Gold/Black
2003 Road King  Black/Silver
1999 Ultra Blue/Silver
1998 Road king Red/ Gold
1996 springer Custom
1974 Sportster

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 10:30:44 PM »

I ran lower HD air shocks on the rear for 50k miles then they failed (but not for the loss of air).  If you are losing air, you may have a fitting issue.  When I change the rear tire (I do them myself), I often would dislodge the seal of the quick-connect air tubing that HD uses.  You might need to check the fitting that the little black tubinb goes in.  To properly seal, the fitting is pulled outward to clamp the tubing.  If it still leaks, the tubing may be damaged and might need to be trimmed to an area that is not damaged and re-inserted into the sealing fitting.  I have found that it helps to use a low pressure air tank (with about 20 psi) to check which shock is leaking and where.

DaBigNuttedMan

• Steered & Geared by DaBigNuttedMan
  • Elite CVO Member
  • No Skool Straight F Fuc_ PowerCustom PypeDaShi_

• CVO1: 2011 RoadGlide Ultra Screamin Eagle
    • CVO2: 1969 Rupp Roadster chromed up Shriner Special
    • CVO3: Grasshopper 725 w/48" snothrower
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 07:30:22 AM »

There is a difference between "normal" relative to the standards of Mother Harley's QC on the one hand and what should be expected on the other. 

It is entirely "normal" for the stock air shocks to leak down.  In many cases relatively quickly.  Since it's what we get used to and what the dealers preach to us is normal it is what we come to expect and choose to live with.  It is not, however, the standard we should expect.

A primary safety component like rear suspension that requires us to pull a saddlebag and carry a cheap assed little hand held air pump to keep that primary safety component in even it's minimal operating capacity is asinine.  It is, however, what we accept.  If you're willing to accept that spend more money with Harley and buy their branded pump too.  If not lose the shock and buy something that's actually good from anyone but Harley.
well put  mine loose to much  too soon
Life begins just outside your comfort zone and you havent lived until you push a full dress harley on a hot day up a grade because your low mile twincam fell apart, and your convinced it's to bitchen to leave it there.           Ugh pardon me but do you have any beer?

WesternWind

• 2002 FLHRSEI

• CVO1: 2002 ScreaminEagle Road-King Purple with Silver Flame
    • CVO2: 2009 ScreaminEagle Road Glide orange
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 10:28:01 AM »

Sorry to say, but Harley air shocks are very poor quality, on my FLHRSEI i bought the harley gauge and pump and came very shortly after upset with the overall attention those shocks needed, also very hard to come with the right level of air in it, so i change them for PROGRESSIVE suspension shocks, really like them. The only other thing that i really did not like about the bike was the clutch, find it to smooth, not aggressive enough for my taste, I put a "RIVERA RACING CLUTCH" wow what a difference, crisp, great fun at power shifting.........
WW

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 12:16:58 PM »

It's a damn shame on a 35K bike, but one of the first things to replace should be the rear shocks...they are crap when brand new, and even more crap with 10K on them.  Buy some good shocks and do as Jerry suggested...take them off when you trade the bike and either transfer them or sell 'em.  Just keep the stock shocks stored in an upright position, or use a piece of air tubing with a plug in it to keep the oil from leaking out.  You can replace the oil, even if it does leak out, but it's easier to just avoid it in the first place.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 22 queries.