Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ventilator VS SE round backing plate  (Read 1472 times)

walstibsf

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2013 FLSTFB
    • CVO3: 2016 MOTO GUZZI
Ventilator VS SE round backing plate
« on: October 08, 2012, 09:21:38 PM »

Hey, gang:  I warned you I'd be back.....so anyway...here I am....same elipses, same lame jokes......ANYWAY......

Building a home grown CVO.  Had a few thoughts on the Air Cleaner I want to run.  The title of the post states the matter and I've got a few ideas about one AC compared to the other:

VENTILATOR

*Gets airflow from windstream, hence cooler temp air in= more volume

*More surface area to filter= more potential flow?

*a little more intake noise

SE ROUND BACKING PLATE

*same radiused inlet as VENTILATOR= flow good?

*Fresh air source from cylinder head area(behind cover)= higher temp of air in= less volume

Less filter area=less flow?

*quieter on intake noise

Thoughts?

Laters.....

« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 11:22:01 PM by walstibsf »
W  A  L  S  T  I  B  S  F..................................

what a long strange trip its been..........SO FAR

bmcgc

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 105th FXDSE2 traded for a Road King Classic
    • CVO2: 2006 FLHTCUSE
Re: Ventilator VS SE round backing plate
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 11:48:47 PM »

I have attempted to study this very topic.

There is very little concrete information available.

Since we do not know the flow numbers of all components, we can not determine which component is the most restricitve.

I was always taught the rule of thumb was to start at the back and work forword.

walstibsf

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2013 FLSTFB
    • CVO3: 2016 MOTO GUZZI
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 02:34:26 PM »

I was always taught the rule of thumb was to start at the back and work forword.

Is that to mean instead of saying its the bees knees, prove it first?
W  A  L  S  T  I  B  S  F..................................

what a long strange trip its been..........SO FAR

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 03:11:04 PM »

I just posted on another thread here, get the Heavy Breather, much more air flow compared to any other HD model and it faces forward to get air from in front of the bike. I got to see a dyno compare between the Ventilator and the Heavy Breather, my bike made 17+ hp with the Heavy Breather.
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 05:02:49 PM »

You might want to use the search function for "heavy breather."  When the Ventilator a/c was introduced on the Screamin' Eagle bikes in '09, I researched the advantage and there was lot of discussion.  I went with the Heavy Breather for a custom look; not for performance.  Talk to Steve at Fullsac, he will tell you the dyno proves Ventilator vs. no filter at all is only about 3 horsepower at full throttle. The Heavy Breather renders approximately the same numbers.  He did tell me there may be a very small advantage because the Heavy Breather has a small "plenum" (tube) which smooths out the air flow before it enters the throttle body. 

I respectfully have to question Pete's 17 additional hp and ask what other mods?  If you could get that out of just the Heavy Breather, HD (and other's) would be charging thousandsof dollars for it.  Just saying.    :nixweiss:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 04:41:21 PM »

OKay... I saw it. And it wasn't just the mod, it was getting air thru it into the 58mm throttle body to support more than 100hp, up til there it was perfect. I worked great w/255's and stock heads and 50mm throttlebody. It got me 92 hp and 109 tq. I just know what it wouldn't do on a number of runs, I suggested the HeavyBreather, went to parts and bought it and when I got back they were doing a run with no airfilter that got 115 hp before he started fine retuning and I stood there for 3 more runs and some computer magic by Ryan along with my motor builder. As posted on a few sites, here too I believe 117.4 hp & 111.2 tq. as well as on the 100hp board on the service dept. wall. High Desert Harley in Meridian, ID.
I don't really give a rip what A/C anyone uses?? I am sharing my experience and I bought the Ventilator because I like the looks and how it fit my bike. Hell the last thing I wanted to do was spend cash on another one...especially since I could've bought it in the first place but liked the Ventilatol better... And now I own them both...   ;)
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.