Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2007 SERK Front Brakes Rubbing  (Read 852 times)

Brian-G

2007 SERK Front Brakes Rubbing
« on: October 23, 2012, 03:39:26 PM »

I'm on my second 2007 SERK and both of them had an issue where I can hear the front brakes rubbing at slow speeds.  A friend has a 2009 CVO Road Glide and his rear he said does the same.  Is this something I can fix?  Doesn't sound like a warped rotor because from memory it's constant and not a spot every rotation like you would expect from a warped rotor.

Thanks in advance.

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
Re: 2007 SERK Front Brakes Rubbing
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 02:36:44 PM »

The rotor is ever so slightly ( like by a few though ) and that is enough to make contact and make some noise.  Not much to be done about that. I had the same problem with my Road King which had spoke wheels.  The noise was ever present and got allot louder when I was in a turn.  So I switched to a non spoke wheel and that got rid on the flexing spokes. the noise got better in turns, then I found a set of used full floating rotors on e-bay and that seemed to fix all the rubbing. I guess the full floating rotor is able to relieve some of the stresses from heat cycles and stay straight.  Make sure all your front end nuts and bolts are tight to prevent flexing. Cheers.
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

HogPro

• Vendor
    • HogPro Wheels
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 01:25:11 PM »

My tech says that all 2007 and older calipers behave this way.  It is just the nature of the beast. 
Drew
HogPro Wheels
(818)886-6545
(877)4HOGPRO

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 01:36:06 PM »

The older style calipers are prone to having sticking pistons due to the cheap design that lacks a secondary seal on the pistons.  Gunk builds up between the piston and caliper bore outboard of the single piston seal.  A thorough cleaning can make a big difference in how the pistons retract (or don't retract, which leads to constant dragging).

For a good explanation of the cleaning process go to the Lyndal web site:  http://www.lyndallbrakes.com/service-tech/

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Brian-G

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 03:46:33 PM »

Thanks, I'll give that a try this weekend.  What year did they change the caliper design?

HogPro

• Vendor
    • HogPro Wheels
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 06:02:24 PM »

2008 was the first year of the Brembo calipers on the baggers.
Drew
HogPro Wheels
(818)886-6545
(877)4HOGPRO

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 25 queries.