Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gear noise in 1st gear?  (Read 2654 times)

RBFB

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Gear noise in 1st gear?
« on: December 02, 2012, 12:35:42 PM »

My friend just picked up his 13' CVO Roadglide and it has a definite gear noise in first gear only. The bike doesn't have even 10 miles on it and I know it might go away in time, but I am wondering if anyone else has heard this noise or has the same noise?

The local dealer (which we didn't get it from) said they changed something in the clutch or something in the 13's, not sure if that is true or the cause.

Thoughts?

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Gear noise in 1st gear?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 12:46:20 PM »

The 13's have what is called a "Slipper Clutch," to reduce engine braking for those foolish enough to donwnchit from 6th to 1st or 2d at say, 70 mph.  Here is a good [urlhttp://motorcycleppf.com/moto-harley-davidson-screaming-eagle-slipper-clutch.html]Explanation of Slipper Clutch.[/url]  Don't know but don't think that is making the noise to which you refer.  I have not heard of any other complaints here. 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 02:10:39 PM »

What Greg said...

Making a noise when?  1st gear noise, or a bit of a whine, is not unusual, even in a car with a manual tranny, so it's hard to know exactly what kind of noise is being reported.  If you change the motor oil in the transmission out to a specifically designed oil for gears, like Redline Shockproof, some noise may decrease, plus it's easier to find neutral, etc.  Assuming the oil level is right, I'd run it until the 1K service, then change it to a gear oil.  Never assume the dealer checked the oil levels in the bike before delivery.

In fact, I'd change both it and the primary oil out to a product made specifically for the application, like Redline MTL or Automatic transmission fluid for the primary.  Run a good Synthetic in the crankcase.  Syn 3 is fine, but Mobil 1, Amsoil, Redline is also as good or better.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

RBFB

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 07:34:40 PM »

It's a whine noise, only in first. I went and rode it today, now it has 20 miles, seems better. Maybe it just needs to be ridden. :carrot:

We always run Redline Primary, trans and engine oils after a few rides.

It's getting to be winter here, so riding time is day to day. I just thought it sounded loud and wondered if others had it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 07:36:38 PM by RBFB »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 08:07:52 PM »

First gear is a straight cut gear pair, and that combined with the high ratio will create a whining noise.  It's common on pretty much any gearbox with straight cut gears, motorcycle or automotive.  The rest of the gears in the bike are helical gears, and they are much quieter.  This difference tends to make first seem worse than it really is.

If there is any doubt about the acceptability of your friends bike, tell him to have the dealer let him ride a couple similar bikes (doesn't have to be exact same model, all Touring transmissions are the same).  Odds are he will find the same noise, but if he doesn't then the dealer needs to investigate the situation.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 08:18:30 PM »

My friend just picked up his 13' CVO Roadglide and it has a definite gear noise in first gear only. The bike doesn't have even 10 miles on it and I know it might go away in time, but I am wondering if anyone else has heard this noise or has the same noise?

The local dealer (which we didn't get it from) said they changed something in the clutch or something in the 13's, not sure if that is true or the cause.

Thoughts?

My last 2 harleys have had a whine in 1st gear, it's normal

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 21 queries.