Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: NorCal to Alaska...  (Read 990 times)

Chuck Pryor

• Elite CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 09 SERG Silver/Titanium
    • CVO2: 86 FLST
NorCal to Alaska...
« on: December 09, 2012, 08:18:32 PM »

If you were making this trip how would you go? What would you avoid? Must see along the way? 

I turn 50 in 2013 and my goal is to ride ALL 50 states in my 50th year...  Staring Feb 1 in Hawaii and that will be a rental but plan to ride mine in the other 49. Never been up through Canada into AK and just looking for some suggestions or things to avoid.

Thanks!

Chuck

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Krypto
Re: NorCal to Alaska...
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 09:43:17 PM »

There are two routes through BC.  BC 37 also known as the Cassier Highway which runs closer to the coast, is not flat or straight, is more remote and which may still be mostly gravel. However, it may have been upgraded in the last 20 years.  Then there is the inland route known as the Alcan Highway.

If you don't want to ride all the way up and back, think about taking the Alaska Marine Highway (Ferry) one direction.  From Washington up through the inside passage then depart the ferry at Haines and drive up to intersect the Alcan Highway in Northwest Territories.  You could take the ferry back down if you decide to ride all the way up.  If your driving, the only way to visit Juneau and Ketchikan is via the ferry.

Either road route you take, I guanantee there will be stretche of gravel.  Mostly, this is where they are improving the existing road or making repairs.  Stay to the far right when you can as vehicles and for sure large trucks WILL be kicking up gravel.  I lots a camper window on the way up, and a windshield on the way out.

Do's:

1. Buy the Milepost Guide and research things to see and do along the route.
2. Stop for fuel when its available, or carry a spare gallon or two.
3. Think about replacing your tires before you leave, and maybe staging a spare for immediate shipment if you have a failure. It could take a while, or cost a fortune to have one ordered by someone up there for you.
4. Leave your handguns home, they won't be kindly to violations in Canada.
5. Plan more time than you think you need.
6. Carry bug and maybe bear repellant.   You'll need the bug repellant more.
7. July to Mid September is when I'd plan this.  Any earlier or later and you risk rainy weather, spring/fall storms.  Of course, this depends on whether your going up there for the salmon seasons. In that case you need to time your arrival for the species your after.
8. Go to Homer or Seward and take a day Halibut trip.
9. If you visit Mt. Mckinley be aware you can't drive in he park anylonger and must take the tour bus that you might need to plan ahead.  Planning ahead is also a must for the Alaska Marine Highway system.

Don'ts;

1. Never ride at night.  There are things up there much bigger than you.  I've seen all the following in or on the shoulder of the road.
     Black Bear, Grizzly Bear, Bobcats, Lynx, Deer, Caribou, Bison, Elk, Stone Sheep and Moose.
2. Don't assume the road in front of you is flat.  Frost heaves can be deceptive even in the summer.  If your not familiar, research them.
3. Think twice about venturing off into the bush.  There are more bears up there than you will see, and they WILL see you.
4. If you see warning signs along the highway for various animals, especially bear, take them seriously.
5. Don't assume there will be lodging just anywhere.  It's still pretty much wilderness between towns or villages.
6. Don't think your going to ride the highway up to the north slope.  It's much longer than you imagine and it's not meant for street bikes.

Alaska is much larger than you think. There are many things to see and do. You'll need to do some research and decide which of them you want to see or do.

Since your flying to Hawaii and renting, you might also consider this for Alaska if anyone rents up there. It would drastically decrease your commute time up and back.  It's approximately 2400 miles from Seattle to Anchorage via the inland route.  You'll want to take time and see things along the way.  With the extended daylight hours it might mess up your internal schedule as you'll realize its still light out after 10 pm and usually light enough to ride before breakfast.  If you get far enough north, you won't need to worry about lights.  Have a great trip. 2013 sounds like it's going to be a full year.   Send me a PM when your headed to the east coast as I've riden roads from Texas to Maine, Michigan to Florida and in between.  I've also got a few suggestions for CA, OR and WA too.  :2vrolijk_21:

Chuck Pryor

• Elite CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 09 SERG Silver/Titanium
    • CVO2: 86 FLST
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 10:00:59 PM »

Mike,

Wow, thanks for the details here... much appreciated!

Chuck

There are two routes through BC.  BC 37 also known as the Cassier Highway which runs closer to the coast, is not flat or straight, is more remote and which may still be mostly gravel. However, it may have been upgraded in the last 20 years.  Then there is the inland route known as the Alcan Highway.

If you don't want to ride all the way up and back, think about taking the Alaska Marine Highway (Ferry) one direction.  From Washington up through the inside passage then depart the ferry at Haines and drive up to intersect the Alcan Highway in Northwest Territories.  You could take the ferry back down if you decide to ride all the way up.  If your driving, the only way to visit Juneau and Ketchikan is via the ferry.

Either road route you take, I guanantee there will be stretche of gravel.  Mostly, this is where they are improving the existing road or making repairs.  Stay to the far right when you can as vehicles and for sure large trucks WILL be kicking up gravel.  I lots a camper window on the way up, and a windshield on the way out.

Do's:

1. Buy the Milepost Guide and research things to see and do along the route.
2. Stop for fuel when its available, or carry a spare gallon or two.
3. Think about replacing your tires before you leave, and maybe staging a spare for immediate shipment if you have a failure. It could take a while, or cost a fortune to have one ordered by someone up there for you.
4. Leave your handguns home, they won't be kindly to violations in Canada.
5. Plan more time than you think you need.
6. Carry bug and maybe bear repellant.   You'll need the bug repellant more.
7. July to Mid September is when I'd plan this.  Any earlier or later and you risk rainy weather, spring/fall storms.  Of course, this depends on whether your going up there for the salmon seasons. In that case you need to time your arrival for the species your after.
8. Go to Homer or Seward and take a day Halibut trip.
9. If you visit Mt. Mckinley be aware you can't drive in he park anylonger and must take the tour bus that you might need to plan ahead.  Planning ahead is also a must for the Alaska Marine Highway system.

Don'ts;

1. Never ride at night.  There are things up there much bigger than you.  I've seen all the following in or on the shoulder of the road.
     Black Bear, Grizzly Bear, Bobcats, Lynx, Deer, Caribou, Bison, Elk, Stone Sheep and Moose.
2. Don't assume the road in front of you is flat.  Frost heaves can be deceptive even in the summer.  If your not familiar, research them.
3. Think twice about venturing off into the bush.  There are more bears up there than you will see, and they WILL see you.
4. If you see warning signs along the highway for various animals, especially bear, take them seriously.
5. Don't assume there will be lodging just anywhere.  It's still pretty much wilderness between towns or villages.
6. Don't think your going to ride the highway up to the north slope.  It's much longer than you imagine and it's not meant for street bikes.

Alaska is much larger than you think. There are many things to see and do. You'll need to do some research and decide which of them you want to see or do.

Since your flying to Hawaii and renting, you might also consider this for Alaska if anyone rents up there. It would drastically decrease your commute time up and back.  It's approximately 2400 miles from Seattle to Anchorage via the inland route.  You'll want to take time and see things along the way.  With the extended daylight hours it might mess up your internal schedule as you'll realize its still light out after 10 pm and usually light enough to ride before breakfast.  If you get far enough north, you won't need to worry about lights.  Have a great trip. 2013 sounds like it's going to be a full year.   Send me a PM when your headed to the east coast as I've riden roads from Texas to Maine, Michigan to Florida and in between.  I've also got a few suggestions for CA, OR and WA too.  :2vrolijk_21:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 11:42:57 PM »

Chuck....I envy you buddy!  We miss riding with you, too.....Terrie and I were talking about you last week.

Be sure to keep us posted on the photos of your journeys. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 01:11:36 PM »

If you were making this trip how would you go? What would you avoid? Must see along the way? 
I turn 50 in 2013 and my goal is to ride ALL 50 states in my 50th year...  Staring Feb 1 in Hawaii and that will be a rental but plan to ride mine in the other 49. Never been up through Canada into AK and just looking for some suggestions or things to avoid.
Thanks!
Chuck
Border guards!  ;D

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 03:24:58 PM »

Absolutely everything Mike said...

Also, as far as road signs go, it's been my experience that when you see a sign that says "Bump" it isn't actually a warning telling you of a bump ahead, it's actually marking the bump... so you won't have much time to prepare if you take it as an upcoming event.  I say event, because sometimes what the Canadians call a bump, is actually either a back-breaker, or a saddle ejection mechanism.

There probably won't be much riding after dark once into Canada, as most of the gas stations have recently been closing down around 10pm local.

As far as possibly finding a dealer that would fulfill the fly-n-ride, I think your best bet would be to contact the House of Harley in Anchorage, as I'm pretty sure the Fairbanks dealer only supports the locals, and even then, only if your bike is in their shop.

I haven't been on the Cassier at all in the 14yrs I've been up here, and the last time on the passage from Washington to Prince George, BC was back in '98.

I can tell you that if your route takes you through Whitehorse, YT... you'll find the roads to be a bit worse as you approach Alaska.  Especially between Burwash Landing and the boarder.

Once in Alaska, it's fairly decent... just have to stay alert.

Also, Fairbanks is hosting the 2013 Alaska State Rally June 14-16.

Ride Safe and enjoy every drop of scenery.   8)
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 09:14:01 PM »

Thanks guys, I'm making the journey this summer too. Always appreciate new advice.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 02:54:50 AM »

North to Alaska:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 03:45:06 PM »

Most fuel stations in Alberta and BC stay open 24/7. You may want to consider travelling through Alberta, the scenery is awesome, the highways are great and fuel is cheaper.

Yeah, I probably should have been more clear.  Once you get away from the larger cities, is where you'll find it hard to locate gas stations that are still open after 10pm.

If taking the Alaska Highway, once you're west of say... Fort Nelson, BC is where you find yourself on the open road with few 'major' gas stations to choose from.  That is until you get to Watson Lake, and Whitehorse.  Don't get me wrong, all of the gas stops we made this Summer were just fine.  With a range of about 220mi/tank we found gas stations about every 170 to 200 miles along the way.  Just study the "Milepost" closely and you can almost map out each gas stop along the way.

And Yes... the scenery (Everywhere) in Canada is awesome.   Just don't be too surprised to find critters of all sizes either on the road or along side.  On our trip down to Texas this Summer, my son and I counted 28 bear, too many to count fox, goat, caribou, bison, and moose.  We gave up trying to count on our way back up.  8)
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 25 queries.