Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Former Goldwing owners  (Read 4172 times)

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
Re: Former Goldwing owners
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2012, 10:48:18 AM »

...but still nobody to talk to at the gas stops... :2vrolijk_21:

Might be because I wasn't a "typical" winger, but I always got plenty of attention at gas stops. Might have had something to do with the comm-wired tank bag, 2 GPSs, handlebar mounted cell phone & XM radio, 2-pairs of driving lights, the 4.4 gallon fuel cell mounted to my back seat. Or when I was riding to and from work everyday in single digit temps all winter (with my Gerbings on HIGH!) with a smile on my face.

But I admit, like the rest, while I enjoyed riding my GL1800, I feel more connected with my SERG. It is just plain sexy.  :bananarock:

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2012, 05:25:09 PM »

Might be because I wasn't a "typical" winger, but I always got plenty of attention at gas stops. Might have had something to do with the comm-wired tank bag, 2 GPSs, handlebar mounted cell phone & XM radio, 2-pairs of driving lights, the 4.4 gallon fuel cell mounted to my back seat. Or when I was riding to and from work everyday in single digit temps all winter (with my Gerbings on HIGH!) with a smile on my face.

But I admit, like the rest, while I enjoyed riding my GL1800, I feel more connected with my SERG. It is just plain sexy.  :bananarock:

Sounds kinda typical for the Wingers I know. More goodies to play with.  :2vrolijk_21: Never did go with the Ham radio but always wondered how my NIB Yaesu FT-100 would work out. Wanted to join MARC but haven't gotten a round tuit.

Great color on your SERG!
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2012, 06:26:16 AM »

Well, I have come to the point of "considering" going back to HD (used to own a 2005 SEEG) and would like some input from those of Goldwing (non Wingers can input as well) persuasion with some questions:

Just got back from Arkansas and straightening out some of their curves; Push Mountain and the Pig Trail to be specific.   ;D ;D ;D  I truly enjoy pushing the envelope and was wondering how much less, if any, you have to cut back being aggressive in the twisties, specifically with an Ultra or Road Glide?  Any regrets after changing over?

Have you pulled a trailer i.e. a Bushtec to carry momma's extra,,,,,shoes and stuff; and if so any drawbacks?

I would be looking at 2009 or later in order to have ABS brakes.  Any recurrent "problems" in the RG or UC?  

Finally does the RG Classic handle similar to the Wing with the fixed fairing?

Feel free to offer any input or contact by PM.  

Thanks

R u sure you're not a long lost twin brother I never knew I had? ;D I also had an 05 SEEG (nothing but problems) that I traded for an 07 GW & here I am with an '11 RGU now. The GW was fun but I missed the looks & sound that u only get with a Harley so I gave them another chance ... once again I can see HD hasn't changed their ways since 05. Don't take it wrong ... I love the bike, the looks, sound, ride, color, handling & power but now considering making a switch to BMW in the spring if possible. I've had less problems with this one but STILL problems ... NO problems with the GW whatsoever. Y can't HD do that for me? ... I doubt they ever will.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2012, 11:53:32 AM »

R u sure you're not a long lost twin brother I never knew I had? ;D I also had an 05 SEEG (nothing but problems) that I traded for an 07 GW & here I am with an '11 RGU now. The GW was fun but I missed the looks & sound that u only get with a Harley so I gave them another chance ... once again I can see HD hasn't changed their ways since 05. Don't take it wrong ... I love the bike, the looks, sound, ride, color, handling & power but now considering making a switch to BMW in the spring if possible. I've had less problems with this one but STILL problems ... NO problems with the GW whatsoever. Y can't HD do that for me? ... I doubt they ever will.

HD seems to be like that exteremly hot, well built, sexy gal that just keeps coming on to you... you know, she leans over in front of you and looks up with a seductive smile when she catches you checking out the rack.  
And she knows just how to work your ego..... you know, she makes you spend money you don't have.

But then you find out that she is just flat out phyco and exteremly "high maintenance".  
Then when you try to slow things down and/or try to get away from her, she calls you crying.  And then she shows up at your door.... still crying.  
Then when you give her a hug and try to comfort her, she comes on to you again... like being completely naked under her coat... and you fall for it, again.

Does this sound about right???
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 04:25:43 PM by LRebel »

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2012, 03:20:16 PM »

HD seems to be like that exteremly hot, well built, sexy gal that just keeps coming on to you... you know, she leans over in front of you and looks up with a seductive smile when she catches you checking out the rack. 
And she knows just how to work your ego..... you know, she makes you spend money you don't have.

But then you find out that she is just flat out phyco and exteremly "high maintenance". 
Then when you try to slow things down and/or try to get away from her, she calls you crying.  And then she show up at your door.... still crying. 
Then when you give her a hug and try to comfort her, she comes on to you again... like being completely naked under her coat... and you fall for it, again.

That's the ticket!  But the same could be said for sports cars, boats, planes and exotics too...all the above applies to our toys.
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »

Then when you try to slow things down and/or try to get away from her, she calls you crying.  And then she show up at your door.... still crying. 

Yep.

Bone stock, a Wing will outperform any HD in the twisties.  The RG, after owning a Batwing, handles better overall.  That's my opinion, and I like riding curvy roads, and seek them out whenever possible.  If you make some upgrades to the HD suspension, front and rear, it will handle MUCH better, probably getting it up to a Wing in handling characteristics.  On the other hand, if you upgrade the Wing's suspension, you're back at square 1 for comparison.  So, you can make a HD touring bike handle as well as it's ever going to by spending anywhere between 1K and 3K on suspension components, depending on what you want to accomplish and where your priorities lay.  From a purely functional standpoint, a Wing is probably the best touring bike on the planet, barring a few feet/leg placement issues some people have.  The foot/leg position on a HD is probably more comfortable in some ways.  People don't buy a Harley for purely functional reasons though...the reasons vary, but may include: Sound, looks, lifestyle, "Tradition", the perception that it's a USA bike (it's really not), sex appeal, etc.  There is little doubt that if I pull into a gas station next to a Goldwing, any bystanders are going to pay more attention to my bike than the Wing, just because it's purdier.  And it's got that whole Harley Davidson "thing" going for it, whatever that means.

Buying a Wing is like finding a nice looking woman who has both feet firmly on the ground, is adequate in bed, sometimes lets her hair down, but not often, and requires little future maintenance.  Buying a CVO Harley is like finding the gorgeous woman who wears low cut tops, tight jeans, long hair, is slightly wild, can be a little kinky in bed at times, but is going to want a Boob job if she doesn't already have one, a tummy tuck, and maybe a face lift at some point in time.  So you stick with her due to immediate gratification, even if you know you're going to have to spend 30K on her before all is said and done, not counting clothes.  ;)
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2012, 03:36:30 PM »

Yep.

Bone stock, a Wing will outperform any HD in the twisties.  The RG, after owning a Batwing, handles better overall.  That's my opinion, and I like riding curvy roads, and seek them out whenever possible.  If you make some upgrades to the HD suspension, front and rear, it will handle MUCH better, probably getting it up to a Wing in handling characteristics.  On the other hand, if you upgrade the Wing's suspension, you're back at square 1 for comparison.  So, you can make a HD touring bike handle as well as it's ever going to by spending anywhere between 1K and 3K on suspension components, depending on what you want to accomplish and where your priorities lay.  From a purely functional standpoint, a Wing is probably the best touring bike on the planet, barring a few feet/leg placement issues some people have.  The foot/leg position on a HD is probably more comfortable in some ways.  People don't buy a Harley for purely functional reasons though...the reasons vary, but may include: Sound, looks, lifestyle, "Tradition", the perception that it's a USA bike (it's really not), sex appeal, etc.  There is little doubt that if I pull into a gas station next to a Goldwing, any bystanders are going to pay more attention to my bike than the Wing, just because it's purdier.  And it's got that whole Harley Davidson "thing" going for it, whatever that means.

Buying a Wing is like finding a nice looking woman who has both feet firmly on the ground, is adequate in bed, sometimes lets her hair down, but not often, and requires little future maintenance.  Buying a CVO Harley is like finding the gorgeous woman who wears low cut tops, tight jeans, long hair, is slightly wild, can be a little kinky in bed at times, but is going to want a Boob job if she doesn't already have one, a tummy tuck, and maybe a face lift at some point in time.  So you stick with her due to immediate gratification, even if you know you're going to have to spend 30K on her before all is said and done, not counting clothes.  ;)

Quite the analogy  :confused5: :confused5:   Bottom line, every Gold Wing looks the same, and quite frankly wearing a helmut, so do the riders  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2012, 08:13:02 PM »

Then when you try to slow things down and/or try to get away from her, she calls you crying.  And then she shows up at your door.... still crying.  

:huepfenlol2: :2vrolijk_21: U hit the nail on the head with that one!
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2012, 01:16:16 AM »

That is some awesome stuff there. Y'all nailed it!!  :2vrolijk_21:

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2012, 08:28:36 AM »

Crusty, I think u missed your calling in life ... U should've been a photographer. Thats a beautiful pic of your bike ... love the scenery! Where was that? :nixweiss:
I was sitting here thinking about how much better my bike would look in that pic. :P ;)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 08:31:59 AM by Phantom309 »
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2012, 03:37:10 AM »

Crusty, I think u missed your calling in life ... U should've been a photographer. Thats a beautiful pic of your bike ... love the scenery! Where was that? :nixweiss:
I was sitting here thinking about how much better my bike would look in that pic. :P ;)

Thanks! I know I still have a lot to learn, but I enjoy playing around with it. Would love to have some other folks let me shoot their bike. If you ever make it to Colorado, I'll hook you up!

Lots more pics here: http://ibmike.smugmug.com/Motorcycles

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2012, 11:15:25 AM »

Ridden and been the owner of both heck ridden about everything thats ever been available. Not sure about the wing being the best touring bike around. I would argue the new BMW 1600GTL, but thats another topic. IMHO if you ask wing riders why they ride that bike you will get one or two different answers. If you ask a Harley rider you might get 15 or 20 answers. And that is the real issue. I just love to ride, not long distances like I once did, body can't stand it. You know what the wing does great. it cranks, its comfortable and never has any isssues and if that is what you want then keep the wing or buy the BMW. My latest is a 09 SERG and I love it. New frame, ABS ( that I don't care for) and the 110. It can be HOT at times and will require some attention and you will spend additional monies on her. But thats part of the deal, you can make her your own to suit your requirements. But thats a plus for me. Because with all the thing you can add or change she will become a reflection of your personality. What I like best about mine is with the lowers, 2 piece windscreen and tour pack she is a great touring bike for me ( 500- 600 miles a day). When I'm doing local 3 hour rides to the mts or beach I can pull the tour pack off and drop the screen and have the baddest bike around. As far a throwing one around in the twisties the CVO's do pretty good. Thery are not sport bikes but join us in MV every year for our gathering and see if you can keep up. I guess in closing I would tell you I have a 600hp race tuned corvette show convertible. And when I run to the store or across town to visit family or friends it sits and I ride the bike. Yes Harleys are a riding experience, a very special experience.

BigLew :orange:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 21 queries.