Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FLHRSE4 / SERK Battery Cost?  (Read 4046 times)

Majorrocky

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4 / SERK
FLHRSE4 / SERK Battery Cost?
« on: March 15, 2013, 11:39:44 PM »

The battery in the ol' FLHRSE4 finally bit the bullet.  Time for a new one.  What kind of price should I expect when I hit the local HD dealer tomorrow?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: FLHRSE4 / SERK Battery Cost?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 11:51:48 PM »

About $150 over the Harley parts counter.  Or something comparable that many here have had good use from for about $100.  It's the ETX30L from Deka (who happens to be the OEM for the Harley branded batteries).

Just did a quick internet search and saw this vendor offering the part number for about $100. 

http://www.batterymart.com/p-Big-Crank-ETX30L-Battery.html

Majorrocky

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4 / SERK
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 12:11:21 AM »

About $150 over the Harley parts counter.  Or something comparable that many here have had good use from for about $100.  It's the ETX30L from Deka (who happens to be the OEM for the Harley branded batteries).

Just did a quick internet search and saw this vendor offering the part number for about $100. 

http://www.batterymart.com/p-Big-Crank-ETX30L-Battery.html

Excellent!  Thanks for the tip.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 12:36:41 AM »

Glad to help.  I've got one of those batteries in the Road King and know of at least six others who have them in current use.  Don't know of anyone who has yet had a problem.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 09:00:47 AM »

Actually the OEM battery from H-D is now $170.95 MSRP.  Amazing how they keep jacking them up, and even more amazing how many they sell to unsuspecting folks.

Take Twolane's advice and save yourself about $70.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 03:00:46 PM »

I have the same bike that you do and installed the same non OEM battery that Don & Jerry recommended last spring. 

rayz1951

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 09:40:42 AM »

Thanks for the info. I just ordered mine.

Ray Z
RayZ

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 09:19:19 AM »

I have a FLHRSE3, 6 1/2 yrs. old, same battery that came from factory, has not give any indication of getting weak but they say the life of these batteries is about 7 yrs., Just wonder if i should go ahead and replace it, would hate to be caught out in the middle of nowhere and battery lay down on me.  :nixweiss:
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 10:15:06 AM »

I have a FLHRSE3, 6 1/2 yrs. old, same battery that came from factory, has not give any indication of getting weak but they say the life of these batteries is about 7 yrs., Just wonder if i should go ahead and replace it, would hate to be caught out in the middle of nowhere and battery lay down on me.  :nixweiss:

Anything over four years is a bonus, and I've personally gotten between five and six years on my bikes in the past.  Unfortunately, when the battery decides to "lay down" it will tend to do so with very little if any warning.  Bike (or car for that matter) starts and runs fine today, tomorrow morning it doesn't even turn over. 

You could go to the trouble of doing a load test on the battery to get an idea of the state of the battery, but even if a battery passes a load test it can still fail due to internal short circuits or opens due to failure of the internal cell connectors.  If it were me, I'd consider myself lucky to have gotten one to last over six years and put that puppy out to pasture.

btw, I've noticed in recent years that the batteries don't seem to be lasting as long as they once did.  I'm not sure if its due to cost cutting in the manufacture of mainstream batteries, or just the added electrical load late model bikes and cars have compared to their predecessors. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 10:57:12 AM »

I agree Jerry.  I just had to replace one that was only 4 1/2 yrs. old....would only chg. at 80 percent and I'd always kept it on the batt. tender.  That's quite a bit shorter longevity than previous batterys on the Electra Glide.  :( spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 11:06:13 AM »

Jerry, I agree 100%
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 12:46:11 PM »

For me the battery is a preventative maintenance item.  When it's four years old it gets replaced.  Especially for a heavyweight bike.  Maybe someone else is stout enough but I'm not safely push starting the Road Glide and you can't always count on parking with a downhill grade in front of you.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 02:35:32 PM »

For me the battery is a preventative maintenance item.  When it's four years old it gets replaced.  Especially for a heavyweight bike.  Maybe someone else is stout enough but I'm not safely push starting the Road Glide and you can't always count on parking with a downhill grade in front of you.
I'm with you now....I use to try and squeeze every month more out of one (like D00d), but those days are over for this old geezer.....along with tire tread/mileage also.  :nervous: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 25 queries.