Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First gear engagement  (Read 4058 times)

skorch

• Full CVO Member
    • NC

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE tequila sunrise
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHXSE gunship Gray
First gear engagement
« on: February 24, 2013, 07:55:10 AM »

I am new to the CVO and hydro clutch system,but it sure seems extremely harsh shifting into first from neutral when getting going-very loud bang.On my previous 5 bikes cable operated clutches, it was never this harsh-is this normal?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: First gear engagement
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 10:11:30 AM »

Sounds like your clutch is dragging.  A dragging clutch never lets the trans input shaft slow down, so when a rapidly spinning part engages a stationary part, such as when you engage first from neutral while sitting still, the result is a big clunk and the bike will jerk.  This is often worse on the initial engagement after a cold start.

Make sure there is no air in the hydraulic system, as that will reduce the travel of the clutch pushrod and not fully release the clutch.  The actual travel of the pushrod can be measured and compared to the specified travel to make sure that part of the system is working correctly.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 10:21:43 AM »

Sounds like your clutch is dragging.  A dragging clutch never lets the trans input shaft slow down, so when a rapidly spinning part engages a stationary part, such as when you engage first from neutral while sitting still, the result is a big clunk and the bike will jerk.  This is often worse on the initial engagement after a cold start.Make sure there is no air in the hydraulic system, as that will reduce the travel of the clutch pushrod and not fully release the clutch.  The actual travel of the pushrod can be measured and compared to the specified travel to make sure that part of the system is working correctly.

Jerry
Every Harley I've owned has had harsh engagement into first gear from a cold start.  I avoid this by starting with the bike in first gear - cold start or hot restart.  I always park it in first gear anyway.

If you are having the problem even on a hot restart or when downshifting when coming to a stop then there is some other problem.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 11:40:17 AM »

Every Harley I've owned has had harsh engagement into first gear from a cold start.  I avoid this by starting with the bike in first gear - cold start or hot restart.  I always park it in first gear anyway.

If you are having the problem even on a hot restart or when downshifting when coming to a stop then there is some other problem.

Agree, I've only owned two of them, but both same thing. I start it the way ultrafxr does.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 11:44:52 AM »

Starting the bike in gear puts added stress on the starter clutch. We see these fail very frequently on bikes that are routinely started in gear.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 02:04:43 PM »

I never start mine in gear (unless I stall it in traffic), and I don't have a problem with heavy clunking when engaging first gear, even after a cold start.  Three things got me to that place; getting ALL the air out of the system, changing the primary lube to ATF, and waiting about three to four seconds after pulling the clutch lever in before engaging first so the input shaft has time to slow down.  Unless someone designs a new trans with synchro's like those in a manual automotive gearbox, a Harley gearbox will always clunk and jerk if you let the input shaft spin as you engage first gear.  It's simple physics.  Try a simple test.  Start the bike in neutral, let it warm up thirty seconds while you don your gloves and helmet, pull in the clutch lever and give the throttle a quick blip (helps break the clutch plates loose after sitting), let the rpm's drop back to idle speed, wait a few seconds and engage first gear.  If you wait too long and the input shaft actually stops turning, you may have to slip the clutch slightly to get the dogs to drop in.  When I do this with my bike (I don't even have to blip the throttle to break the plates loose) I get no clunk at all even after the bike has set overnight. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

skorch

• Full CVO Member
    • NC

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE tequila sunrise
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHXSE gunship Gray
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 05:42:49 PM »

I never start mine in gear (unless I stall it in traffic), and I don't have a problem with heavy clunking when engaging first gear, even after a cold start.  Three things got me to that place; getting ALL the air out of the system, changing the primary lube to ATF, and waiting about three to four seconds after pulling the clutch lever in before engaging first so the input shaft has time to slow down.  Unless someone designs a new trans with synchro's like those in a manual automotive gearbox, a Harley gearbox will always clunk and jerk if you let the input shaft spin as you engage first gear.  It's simple physics.  Try a simple test.  Start the bike in neutral, let it warm up thirty seconds while you don your gloves and helmet, pull in the clutch lever and give the throttle a quick blip (helps break the clutch plates loose after sitting), let the rpm's drop back to idle speed, wait a few seconds and engage first gear.  If you wait too long and the input shaft actually stops turning, you may have to slip the clutch slightly to get the dogs to drop in.  When I do this with my bike (I don't even have to blip the throttle to break the plates loose) I get no clunk at all even after the bike has set overnight. 

Jerry
Thanks for the info!  I also noticed that I can only get back to first while slowing to a stop is to either downshift while moving or work the clutch while stopped-which I never had to do with a cable-seems weird.

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO Ultra Limited - 2013 FLHTCUSE8 (Traded)

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 07:05:09 PM »

Sounds like your clutch is dragging.  All the symptoms.  If new take it back to the dealer and have the system bled. 
Do it now!

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 08:02:32 PM »

Sounds like your clutch is dragging.  All the symptoms.  If new take it back to the dealer and have the system bled. 
Agree.
But I don't think I'll change my routine of starting in gear.  Maybe in neutral from a cold overningt start but from a hot restart I'll leave it in first like I parked it.  Replaced one starter on my '07 in 84k miles so I'm not all that concerned.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 21 queries.