Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Promised photos of damaged clutch hub!  (Read 3549 times)

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
Promised photos of damaged clutch hub!
« on: February 24, 2013, 10:06:59 PM »

Awhile ago I post a couple of posts concerning my need for a better clutch hub and a photo of my damaged SE Compensator.  I could not post photos of the clutch hub at the time but promised I would when I got them back from Energy One.  Obviously with all the damaged parts I plan on installing all new ones for the primary.  I have had a chrome inner primary for a few years just waiting until the time I took everything apart.  So last week I ordered another SE Compensator, primary chain and a few other misc. parts to complete the installation.  Energy One customer service was just great, he gave me a new clutch pack with new springs.  I already use the VP92 from AIM so I should be all set except for the clutch hub.  The first hub had stripped splines and the photos of the second hub are self explanatory  I wanted to try another clutch hub while using the components I already have.  You can see in the photos where the spring bent in a few places and just ate the threaded post for lunch.  I have to decide on ordering the stock clutch or going with the Bandit Sportsman.  Oh and after measuring the flywheel run out at .0105 I decided to sell some of my personal items and install the S&S 124 Crate motor.  In the future few years I will powder coat the trans & Baker pan black.  Has anybody experienced the type of damage or have any idea on why it is in this condition.

Thanks,

Ray G.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Promised photos of damaged clutch hub!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 10:30:21 PM »

From the looks of the damage I would have to say that this was caused by installer error. The spring was not properly aligned between the hub bosses before the VPC plate was installed. The stock plate is keyed to prevent this as the VPC is not.

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 11:08:39 AM »

Thanks Jim, I agree 100% which is why I purchased all new items mail order rather than to trailer the bike to the dealership and try to have them admit that it was their fault while trying to get new parts on my ESP coverage.  There was zero chance that they would admit they made a mistake.  Originally I had asked them to have the brakes and clutch systems bled and refilled with new fluids and to see if they could fix the throttle lag.  They adjusted the idle up to 1200 RPM's & replaced the clutch actuator and did an number of other things that they charged the ESP, it did not shift properly after they worked on it.  As my last post indicated I was told by the assistamt SM that I didn't know how to ride the big V-Twins?   He told me I had to hold the front brake and put the rear shifter back on so I would had more leverage for jamming it hard into first to reduce the lurching.  I went overboard telling him what I thought about his way to prevent the bike from lurching.  I went inside to go over his head and was told they contacted the MOCO directly and they told them it was normal for a machine with high mileage.  I was so frustrated I just left before my mouth got me in trouble, that was my 3rd time for that same issue and I knew and I was getting hot under the collar so I had to leave.  Without a mechanic like you in our area this will most likely be my last HD.  I just want to ride without all the BS. 

So with 61k on the machine this is the second time I pay for a complete primary side parts replacement.   

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 07:28:53 PM »

I just got off of the phone with the owner of AIM Industries, manufacturer of the VP-92.  After a few emails with photos and a rather long discussion he was absolutely sure it was installed improperly and most likely the wear of the compensator accelerated the damage to the clutch hub.  So far Jim from Metal Dragon, and the owners of Energy One Clutch co. and AIM Industries (VP-92) have all come to the same conclusion.  I have tried all 3 HD Dealerships in the immediate area and have come away with substandard work and damage to my bike on 2 different occasions.  Thanks for the help Jim.

Ray G

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 25 queries.