Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ordered a Freedom Shield  (Read 3554 times)

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
Ordered a Freedom Shield
« on: April 24, 2013, 02:20:19 PM »

I've been running a 10" Windvest, and was relatively happy with it, but on certain days, I definitely get some bad air over it. I really think it depends on how the wind happens to be blowing, because some days it seems okay, and others it doesn't. My CVO comes with the dog dish, and I will be picking up the engine guard mounted HD deflectors.

Anyhow, I don't think the blame is with the Windvest- I've always known I probably really need a 12" shield (I'm 5'10"), especially for my BSR who doesn't complain a lot back there, but when I ask, she does mention she gets blasted around quite a bit, especially on long trips.

I considered the Baggershield and the apparently effective but ugly Madstad, and decided on the Freedom Shield- 12" light grey.

Here is a big point I think some don't consider- a dark tint looks cool, but on a shield over 10", the dark tint gives the illusion of the shield being much bigger than it actually is. Of course, this is because it is so dark that our eyes are drawn to it, and we don't see through it when we look at it, but we look AT it. Because of this reasoning, I went with the light grey tint since a 12" shield is big shield but shouldn't look too big with the light tint.

Just like everyone said, John at Freedom Shields was very friendly and helpful on the phone. The CVO forum discount is actually better than the other forum discounts (15%).

I'm confident that it will be a good quality shield, and from the pics I've seen, they follow the shape of the fairing nicely, and will look real nice on the bike. I'm sure it will be an improvement and I look forward to receiving it.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
Re: Ordered a Freedom Shield
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 02:21:36 PM »

The Chuck Norris of windshields, love mine.   :drink:

ultrarider123

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 02:25:35 PM »

The Chuck Norris of windshields, love mine.   :drink:

:D ;D :2vrolijk_21:  Amen Brother.  Could not have said it better.

John is great to work with.  He even assisted me with information in my purchase of a used 7" dark tint from one of our forum members.  Has to be one of the best looking windshield out there.  The opticial clarity and the polished edging shows quality and it works.  Good luck on the purchase and hope it works well for you.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 02:33:19 PM »

It has not stained nor chipped nor scratched after decimating the various insects of the south Florida swamps the last couple of years, nevermind the rocks and FOD of the I95 and the cane trucks on the back roads...and I am not a obsessive washerwaxer.

Great product, like the kickshoe....miker endorsed.. :drink:

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 03:40:52 PM »

Glad to hear all the positive things- I defintely think this was a good decision.

I was going to order both the 10" dark tint and the 12" light tint to see if I could get away with the 10" 'cuz it would look the best....after all, I could always return one of them, but in the end I think for my height I really do require a 12".

What size are you guys running, and on what year bikes?
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

B.A.

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 04:23:44 PM »

I run the 14 inch light tint on my '11 FLTRUSE.  Actually, my Roadglide is on their website.  No way I want the dark tint.  Can't imagine it at night, let alone daylight.

Freedom Shields far and away my favorite.   :2vrolijk_21:

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 04:34:28 PM »

You're going to like it a lot. I had a 7" on my '07 SEUC and liked it so much I had the same thing installed on my new bike before I took possession of it. I chose light gray as well for the same reasons the others stated. I thought the dark grey would look good on the Anniversary color scheme but couldn't imagine trying to see through it at night especially for close quarter maneuvering at low speed, like getting in my garage. One of the first things I noticed on my first Freedom shield was the way the air is diverted up and over my head, easy to see that when you see bugs coming at you then they go straight up and over most the time. I get more bugs on the fairing than I do on the shield.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 07:21:35 AM »

It has not stained nor chipped nor scratched after decimating the various insects of the south Florida swamps the last couple of years, nevermind the rocks and FOD of the I95 and the cane trucks on the back roads...and I am not a obsessive washerwaxer.

Great product, like the kickshoe....miker endorsed.. :drink:

X2 except north Florida constant bug season instead of south, plus occasional farm truck debris and rocks.  No scratches - looks great.  Use Rain-x on it if you want. 
 :drink:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 07:39:44 AM »

Now that they are making them for FLT, there is a reason to own an FLT whre before there was not...

Having an FLH you can have a 1/2 dozen cause they are cheap, FLT, not so much...good luck on guessing yet size right...and the windshield too... ???

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 03:26:18 PM »

An easy guess for me I figure- my 10" WV still lets bad air over it on certain days, and it is approx chest/throat level on me.

A 12" should be perfect, as the top of the shield is supposed to be chin/nose level. A 14" would be out of the question since I dont want to feel like Im driving a car, plus it would look too big.

Funny, Im getting engine work done, but Im almost as excited to get my windshield as I am to get the bike back from the builder.
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 04:48:35 PM »

;)

bkmaster1

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 10:13:26 AM »

I just got mine yesterday and put it on and took it for a test drive straight away.  I got the 7" Dark tint and John was excellent to deal with.  Ordered it last Friday and got it a week later.  Great price and it functions and looks just as great as everyone on here describes.  I did a lot of research before making my decision and I'm very happy with it.  I took the plastic protective covering off and now I'm set to go!  Let the riding season in Wisconsin begin!

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.