Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pulley and Belt Replacement  (Read 5195 times)

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
Pulley and Belt Replacement
« on: April 02, 2013, 12:26:44 PM »

Took My 10 SEUC in for 70k service.  Service Manager is recommending replacing both pulleys and belt.

At last service, they said that the rear sproket was near the end of life.

What kind of life have others gotten on these items?

Dealer quoted just north of 1K to replace.  Normally, i do my own service.  I got lifetime service as part of the purchase negotations. I plan on replacing these myself. 

Any suggestions as to parts sourcing? Stick with HD, or something else? How about re-gearing? I ride about 20K per year.  About 5K of that is 2 up, pulling a trailer, or both. 

Thanks in advance for your opinions, I know you have plenty.
Spada84
NoSofa!

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
Re: Pulley and Belt Replacement
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 03:26:22 PM »

Took My 10 SEUC in for 70k service.  Service Manager is recommending replacing both pulleys and belt.

At last service, they said that the rear sproket was near the end of life.

What kind of life have others gotten on these items?

Dealer quoted just north of 1K to replace.  Normally, i do my own service.  I got lifetime service as part of the purchase negotations. I plan on replacing these myself. 

Any suggestions as to parts sourcing? Stick with HD, or something else? How about re-gearing? I ride about 20K per year.  About 5K of that is 2 up, pulling a trailer, or both. 

Thanks in advance for your opinions, I know you have plenty.

Conditions may vary..........
My '10 has about 75,000 miles on the OEM belt and rear pulley.
I changed my front pulley to 30T about 3 years ago.
All looks good.
JMHO
HOGMIKE

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Krypto
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 04:51:49 PM »

On my 05, the original belt was replaced at 65k.  It didn't quite need it, but I was doing a lot of trips, hundreds of miles from home without an warranty.

Front pulley was replaced at 83k, and the rear pulley at 118k when the second belt separated.

Since you have free lifetime service, I'd consider them changing it out if the parts cost difference between what you can get them for and what they say is only a couple hundred bucks.  The time and tools you may need alone is worth a couple hundred bucks.  JMHO.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 07:35:19 PM »

:-\
"How about re-gearing? "...............Review the multiple page posting (30T and happy).......that should give you a good idea about maybe changing gearing. :drink:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 07:49:42 PM »

Be careful about buying the cheapest belt you can find.  There are plenty of belts in the aftermarket that aren't of the same quality as the OEM stuff.  Read some of the comments in that referenced thread on regearing for instance and look at the large number of early failures with Falcon belts.

Since it's impossible to get Gates to tell you what belts meet the same specs as the OEM part they supply to Harley (proprietary, top secret, and all that other BS), I'm not sure how you could make certain what you're buying is as good as OEM.  It might be safer to buy OEM from a discount dealer and save 20% that way. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 09:11:05 AM »

Spada84, it is always good to get a second opinion. I had a non Harley belt break at 30K miles with no evidence of rock damage or anything like that and the pulley's also had about 30K on them. On the other side of the spectrum my friend made it to 180K on the original belt from his 2001 Heritage. He had it replaced when the motor was remanufactured. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 10:11:59 AM »

I may be a little naive, but why would you have to replace the pulleys unless changing ratios?  Understand the belt.  Btw, the OEM belt is best in my experience.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 02:10:52 PM »

I may be a little naive, but why would you have to replace the pulleys unless changing ratios?  Understand the belt.  Btw, the OEM belt is best in my experience.

The pulleys wear, just like sprockets wear on chain driven bikes.  If you install a new belt on worn pulleys, the odds are very good you will wear out or break that new belt at a very low mileage.

Refer to a shop manual and you will find instructions and photo's pertaining to inspection and replacement of the pulleys as well as the belt.  It's not a scam.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 09:53:50 PM »

GRC, would you consider changing pulley's and belts a maintaince item and do it at say 50K miles, or just do a visual and decide if they need to be replaced. I agree with replacing pulleys with a new belt if you can afford it, if the pulley's look questionable. I will check this out in my service manual. Thanks again for your imput.CAHDBIKER

The pulleys wear, just like sprockets wear on chain driven bikes.  If you install a new belt on worn pulleys, the odds are very good you will wear out or break that new belt at a very low mileage.

Refer to a shop manual and you will find instructions and photo's pertaining to inspection and replacement of the pulleys as well as the belt.  It's not a scam.

Jerry
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 09:59:46 PM by cahdbiker »

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 10:44:01 PM »

GRC, would you consider changing pulley's and belts a maintaince item and do it at say 50K miles, or just do a visual and decide if they need to be replaced. I agree with replacing pulleys with a new belt if you can afford it, if the pulley's look questionable. I will check this out in my service manual. Thanks again for your imput.CAHDBIKER

I'd be more inclined to just inspect the belt and pulleys during each service and tire change and replace when they show significant wear, rather than do a preemptive change at 50k.  The OEM belts are tough, and unless damaged they will usually do a lot more than 50k.  Of course you also have to take into account other factors, like your intended use of the bike.  For instance if I had over 50k on a belt and it was starting to show signs of wear, I'd probably change it out prior to setting out on a coast to coast to coast ride.  Better to waste a few bucks changing it early versus being stranded out in the wilderness with no cell coverage, if you know what I mean. 

Jerry

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 09:02:39 PM »

The pulleys wear, just like sprockets wear on chain driven bikes.  If you install a new belt on worn pulleys, the odds are very good you will wear out or break that new belt at a very low mileage.

Refer to a shop manual and you will find instructions and photo's pertaining to inspection and replacement of the pulleys as well as the belt.  It's not a scam.

Jerry

Jerry,

Thanks found it in the manual.  Hope I don't ever have to replace the rear wheel sprocket, it's a chrome detonator that's been discontinued! :nervous:
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 09:07:45 PM »

Jerry,

Thanks found it in the manual.  Hope I don't ever have to replace the rear wheel sprocket, it's a chrome detonator that's been discontinued! :nervous:
You and me both... might have to buy all new wheels, rotors, and sprocket if we have to do that. ;D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 25 queries.