Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 1000 mile service check up worth it?  (Read 5866 times)

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

• CVO1: 2013 Red Breakout
    • CVO2: 2013 Gold Breakout
1000 mile service check up worth it?
« on: May 15, 2013, 03:16:55 PM »

Time for my 1000 mile service and I hate to pay the $300 for the tightening of bolts, but I have seen this both ways.  I always change oil myself, but are there some legitimate things that are done to validate the high price?  And the person at the dealer said it takes 3 hrs to do this check up.  What are your thoughts?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: 1000 mile service check up worth it?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 03:54:44 PM »

Time for my 1000 mile service and I hate to pay the $300 for the tightening of bolts, but I have seen this both ways.  I always change oil myself, but are there some legitimate things that are done to validate the high price?  And the person at the dealer said it takes 3 hrs to do this check up.  What are your thoughts?

Invest in a shop manual for your bike and do it yourself.

These days there aren't as many things to "check and adjust", but I've noticed that most dealers haven't lowered their prices for these 1k and 5k service intervals.  While some places probably do follow the checklist and actually check much of the stuff, most tend to just give you an oil change and charge you $300 - $400 for the privilege.  If you want to make sure it actually gets done right, do it yourself.  And btw, if you have a good independent shop you trust you can have them do the service for you.  There is no legal requirement for you to have a Harley dealer do this stuff.  Just get a detailed receipt in case a question comes up in the future.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 04:05:39 PM »

These days there aren't as many things to "check and adjust", but I've noticed that most dealers haven't lowered their prices for these 1k and 5k service intervals.  While some places probably do follow the checklist and actually check much of the stuff, most tend to just give you an oil change and charge you $300 - $400 for the privilege.  If you want to make sure it actually gets done right, do it yourself.  And btw, if you have a good independent shop you trust you can have them do the service for you.  There is no legal requirement for you to have a Harley dealer do this stuff.  Just get a detailed receipt in case a question comes up in the future.

Jerry

A-men $300.00 or more in many instances gets you a sloppily done oil change stripped drain plugs  and an occasional scratch, Most shops don't tie up there head tech on  service work.

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

• CVO1: 2013 Red Breakout
    • CVO2: 2013 Gold Breakout
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 04:21:53 PM »

It's the tools I am concerned with-I can do the basics, but what tools am I going to need to do it myself.  And I do have a very reputable indy guy that I go to so I just might use them if the tools list is too much.

Jerry

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 05:33:09 PM »

The Harley 1000 MI Service is B.S. !!!!!!!!!!! for the money all you get is all the oils changed if you stand there and watch to make sure they do that.
DND

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 05:54:48 PM »

The one time I had a HD dealer do service (non warranty work) on my bike, they f'd up more than they fixed.

If your indy shop is indeed a good one, and not one of these old school "Synthetic oil is too slippery" kind of places, and I was either not comfortable doing it myself, or did not have all the tools needed, that's the route I'd take.

While you're at it, put some lube in the transmission that is made for gears...like Redline Shockproof, Amzoil, Belray, etc.  Your shifting will improve.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 07:46:44 PM »

If you have a good independent shop you trust you can have them do the service for you.

Exactly what I've been doing.  Saving as much as 1/2 the cost that the local H-D Shop charges, and getting things done right the first time.   1K, 5K, 10K, 15k, and 20k... all by the same mechanic, all done with extreme confidence.   8)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 07:48:25 PM by T-Hawk »
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

Hog95023

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 08:06:51 PM »

I had a harley dealer i bought my bike at do my 1k service thinking they would do the job right. They didn't and was a waste of money. That shop since closed.

Jerry/MD

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 08:39:19 PM »

It's the tools I am concerned with-I can do the basics, but what tools am I going to need to do it myself.  And I do have a very reputable indy guy that I go to so I just might use them if the tools list is too much.

Purchase a service manual, 1/2 and 3/8 drive torque wrenches. That will satisify the majority of your service interval needs.

Jerry

SOTLucky

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2013 CVO Ultra Classic 110 Anniv Edition
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 11:38:12 AM »

I do all work myself and only take it to HD when there is something major to be fixed under warranty.  Those ass clowns screw things up and charge high prices. I try to avoid giving them more money than I absolutely have to.  I dropped one of my previous Ultras off to have the recall for the brake switch replaced, when i got it back I took a 300 mile or so ride and at one of the stops the part they replaced caught on fire.  Lucky a buddy of mine standing next to me had a beer in his hand for me to put the flame out....I should have let it burn to the ground.

SOTLucky

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 01:52:12 PM »

Do it yourself..
Bill

BakedInMN

• Junior CVO Member
    • MN

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 02:19:31 PM »

Just took mine in last week. Was a little skeptical, and don't feel it was worth the money. I also had them check the detonation I'm getting and the "loose" feeling in the front end and neither was fixed (but they did test ride it for 20 miles). My main concern was getting it in to document the pinging so there is a record of it when the engine frags itself.

I too usually do my own work, and have never had any luck with anyone other than myself working on my bikes. I usually spend the next day fixing it after they f'd it up.
My current stable:
1972 FLH Shovelhead
2003 FXSD 100th Anniversary Blue
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
2014 FXSBSE Molten Cobalt

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 02:42:43 PM »

Just took mine in last week. Was a little skeptical, and don't feel it was worth the money. I also had them check the detonation I'm getting and the "loose" feeling in the front end and neither was fixed (but they did test ride it for 20 miles). My main concern was getting it in to document the pinging so there is a record of it when the engine frags itself.

I too usually do my own work, and have never had any luck with anyone other than myself working on my bikes. I usually spend the next day fixing it after they f'd it up.

;D    That's different, anyone can be trained to drain and fill the fluids, but it might take some real ability to properly diagnose and correct something like steering head bearing preload or detonation.

Oh, btw, obviously not everyone can be trained to do the fluids either.  That's why so many places strip the threads for the drain plugs, over or under fill the oil, forget to install the drain plugs, fail to tighten the oil filter, or just blow the whole thing off and still charge you for the service anyway.

When I become too old and feeble to change the fluids on my vehicles myself, I'll probably also be too feeble to ride or drive them so they'll be put on the auction block and I'll move to the old folks home with a bus stop out front.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 03:57:45 PM »

;D    That's different, anyone can be trained to drain and fill the fluids, but it might take some real ability to properly diagnose and correct something like steering head bearing preload or detonation.

Oh, btw, obviously not everyone can be trained to do the fluids either.  That's why so many places strip the threads for the drain plugs, over or under fill the oil, forget to install the drain plugs, fail to tighten the oil filter, or just blow the whole thing off and still charge you for the service anyway.

When I become too old and feeble to change the fluids on my vehicles myself, I'll probably also be too feeble to ride or drive them so they'll be put on the auction block and I'll move to the old folks home with a bus stop out front.

Jerry
Yup, has all happened to me.  No more dealer service unless it is warranty/ESP or so complex that I cannot do it myself.  Just sayin'.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 07:35:27 PM »

DETONATION? That's very BAD!  How do you know your engine is experiencing detonation? Do you have a tuning device, and/or have you had it dyno tuned?

With everything stock, I'm not very surprised, though. The stock tune with the stock equipment is far too lean for the engine to run well at all, and it will run super-hot. Getting rid of the cat, opening up the exhaust, and getting a good TUNE will fix that.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 25 queries.