Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zumo 660 2011 SESG  (Read 1160 times)

LincolnUSA

• LincolnUSA
  • Full CVO Member
  • Fullsac B X-Pipe, 2.0" Baffles, TTS Mastertune
Zumo 660 2011 SESG
« on: July 28, 2012, 09:26:15 AM »

Am leaving for a trip this Thursday and thought I would add a Zumo 660 and NIM to my bike.  Am not a wiring expert and have read all go the threads on this subject.  In short, am frustrated and upset with HD.  their solution is to sell me the saddlebag lids w speakers that come on the 2012 models along with the necessary wiring harness for about $2,000.  HD will not sell the wiring harness by itself.  the dealer is not too excited about doing the wiring based on the threads.  

So, I spent over 30k on a bike and cannot get a gps to interface w my sound system.  Nice job of engineering by the motor company.  Am seriously considering trading for a BMW.  I called HD not expecting them to be very accommodating.   Asked to speak to someone higher up that the jughead I had on the phone.  He indicated that he would email his boss and have her call me.  The phone never rang.  they should sell a stand alone wiring fix due to their lack of forethought and piss poor electrical engineering design.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 09:33:12 AM by LincolnUSA »

rheston

• Charlton
  • Charlton

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
Re: Zumo 660 2011 SESG
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 01:58:14 PM »

Interested in getting others who have the same problem with this year bike and the GPS to go together on a class action suit to get H-D to resolve this problem for us?
summa vi vehere, celeritate vehere, procul vehere
2008 FLHX
2005 FLSTC
1999 FLHRC-I

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 06:12:58 PM »

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I don't know if it's reasonable for you to expect them to make sure every new feature they update on the new models is backward compatible AND they provide custom upgrade kits for all previous models? Not trying to be a jerk, but think about it.  Imho, Harley is much better than alot of firms with making upgrade paths for many items for older models.

Alot of products out there are pretty rigid snap shots in time, especially in electronics, which are pretty much obsolete the second they hit the store shelves.  I bought an entire high dollar (for me) home theater system 2 years ago, and it's ancient already and there's no possible way to update anything. You can't buy an upgrade kit to get from from HDMI 1.3a to 1.4?  And you certainly can't upgrade a Std Flat screen to 3D.  You live with it as long as you can, then you start over and buy a new one.  I guaranty a BMW will have less flexibility in updating than a Harley by a long shot, so to counter your ascertion, I think Harley is pretty good in this area, and much better than most.

That all said, I installed the entire 660 and dash mount kit on my 2006 SEUC based on some of the threads posted here a few years ago when the feature first was incroduced in the new models.  Many of us grabbed the parts books and figured out the restricted PN's and sorted it out. We tried a few things, fabbed a bit, and evenutally with a few tweaks here and there, we all got it done. I recall Spike and a few others were real trailblazers who helped alot of us - with zero MOCO help, support, or guidance.  I was ordering stuff the dealers had no clue what it was for. With the right parts guy, and a correct vin for the needed part, it's not too hard to get exactly what you need, if you take a little time to research things.

While I realize it's slick in running the voice throught the stereo, muting the existing programming, with the NIM, etc, the fact is, just like the CB cutting in and out, it gets old quick. I always just mute it anyway, pay attention to the GPS, and leave the stereo cranked.

Again, not trying to be a jerk, but if you think about the added expense of going the full NIM route vs just doing the dash mount alone with the harness, you can get 95% of the finished product for a tiny fraction of the cost of going full NIM. I mean half the stuff the retarded Garmin voice blurts out you can't even understand anyway?  If you absolutely cannot live without the Garmin computer chick guiding you, it would be much cheaper just to have Iron Cross install a rear input on the HU and just plug in the Garmin audio out from the harness right into the radio. Granted, it won't get you the auto-cut in and out, but in real congested areas, with a lot of turns/guidance, you can dedicate the input to the Garmin and hear everything through the radio. That'll save you a ton of dough. Then when you are in less congested areas, change the input back to the programming of your choice and motor on, leaving the Garmin in virtual mute mode.  That's 99% there.

I hope this helps?
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 08:37:35 AM »

Yup, just plug the audio output from the GPS to the Auxiliary Input on the radio, tune your radio to the "AUX" mode and you are set to go.

Then in a few weeks if you still want the NIM, take your time and figure it out or find a friend with a bit of wiring know how and buy the beer. Save the beer for after the job just to be safe.

Jim@hdbomm
Ride It Like You Are Retired

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond/Crimson - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Hard Candy / Smokey Quartz - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2024 FLTRXSTSE Golden White Pearl
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 03:39:08 PM »

Yes, it's frustrating!! I did just that, plugged into my Aux port on the front of the radio and use AUX on the radio to hear the prompts. I loaded up a memory card with a ton of music and listen to it through the GPS. If you run it that way the voice prompts do over ride the music.

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 25 queries.