Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bearing bad @ 9 miles  (Read 1827 times)

collis69

• CVO1: 2013 RK
Bearing bad @ 9 miles
« on: June 09, 2013, 09:47:39 PM »

:nervous: 2013 CVO Road King
Primary bearing bad at 9 miles, 101 miles ground in handles bars or tree, now today at 230 miles I seen clear like oil all over tree front left inside of gas tank didn't get a chance to see where it was coming from got caught in a storm thinking CVO line really has some problems. Maybe should have kept my plain Jane FATBOY???????

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Bearing bad @ 9 miles
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 08:44:30 AM »

Primary bearing bad at 9 miles, 101 miles ground in handles bars or tree, now today at 230 miles I seen clear like oil all over tree front left inside of gas tank didn't get a chance to see where it was coming from got caught in a storm thinking CVO line really has some problems. Maybe should have kept my plain Jane FATBOY???????

BUT, Harley is reporting big profits so everything must be good, right?

Jerry ::)
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 08:47:47 AM »

Wow, sorry to hear about this but it appears that there the legacy of continuity of quality control is still there. 
3 strikes and the bike is out.....Lemon law it and try another one...

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 09:15:54 AM »

Talk to HDdude. He had me use a Baker bearing much better than HD. Mine is an 07 so don't know if any change. He even called the dealer where my bike was at the time and explained it to them and gave them the part number. :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 09:18:14 AM by Rooster »

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 03:44:06 PM »

Not really sure what the red means. Any more drama, and I would lemon law it and try another one, or at least get some major concessions from the dealer or MoCo
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 09:28:27 AM »

You can go out buy pretty much any car today for around $25,000 to $35,000 and it will run for 10 years with few problems. HD keeps making nearly identical models, nearly identical motors and identical transmissions year after year and they still can't get it right. I think it was a big mistake to switch the assembly of CVOs to the general assembly line.                   

Most of the failures have nothing to do with the difference in where the parts are bolted on, it's the crappy parts and designs themselves.  Sadly, Harley has spent most of it's time on cheapening the parts and processes to pad the bottom line, and that usually results in quality problems.  When you have a business that has very little competition, I guess you can get away with overcharging for poor quality products, and then thanks to a very short warranty getting to make even more money selling repair parts either directly to the customers, to repair shops, to dealers, or indirectly to the ESP folks.  If someone would come up with some true competition for Harley, they would have to change their ways or fade from the scene.  Not everyone is willing to keep paying more and more for less and less quality.  I still believe their days are numbered, because I don't see the younger generations being willing to accept the same crap us old folks have.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 22 queries.